Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good bye to "Parlor Tricks"!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Spyderco may soon release the second ambidextrous flipper to ever be produced. You pretty much never see those.

I think people have been trying to rally up a lefty PM2 for a long time now. I think that may be a next best bet once the factory is finished.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    It may not make the frustration any less frustrating but I recently read a custom knife maker explaining his process of making a lefty frame-lock.

Basically he has to constantly internally chant the proper instructions while grinding things like the lockbar to avoid making it into a right-handed knife. Just as difficult as it would be for to use our less dominant hand for our normal duties, he (and probably many) are so ingrained with making a knife a certain way that simply reversing it is WAY tougher than one would assume. This coupled with the percentage of people who are right-handed makes the decision less spiteful.

Of course, the answer would be to only buy ambi locks but as David mentioned that does limit yourself in selection. I think a person could almost get a lifetime of use from one Delica but that's really not why we are knife hobbyists, is it?
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sully's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    You can choose to get bent out of shape and see where that gets you, but I can promise you nothing constructive will come from it.
    Ya got that right, Evil Dude.

But....I still want a Lefty-specific Spyderco. And I still find it laughable (yet sad) when SOME Righties feel they're the self-appointed guy to stand up for Sal and crew when anyone dares to mention how great it would be to have a Left Hand _______ from Spyderco. Just odd behavior, me thinks. But yes, have at it.....

Anyway, I have neither the time nor desire for one of those back-and-forth-ego-rant-fests...sorry if that too disappoints ya. So I'll humbly defer to the statement the OP was referencing. Someway, somehow, I kinda think The Deacon has a pretty good grasp on things and said it best:

"Some left handed users, as well as some right handed ones, seem unable to grasp the concept that, although we southpaws have all learned to cope and can adapt to damn near anything, some of use have simply decided that we no longer have to prove our ability to do so, at least when it's not absolutely necessary. Spyderco has, IMHO, done an excellent job of making it unnecessary for us to do parlor tricks, unless we feel like it." - The Deacon
    Last edited by Sully; 05-13-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    “Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!”
    Mr. Burns, The Simpsons
    Other Lefties: Da Vinci, Einstein, Franklin, Newton, Aristotle, Hendrix, Gates, 'The Babe,' 'The Great One' ... Mrs. Gail Glesser?!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Lets remember that Gail (Sal's wife) is a lefty. I'm sure there is plenty of left handed perspective given to the company. At the same time, they also make and sell what sells the most, and I can't fault them for that. They do a great job striving to make things ambidextrous though. I'm anxious to see how the Military 2 with the Stop Lock pans out.

And, I gotta say, this is probably the #1 thing I'm envious about when it comes to Benchmade knives. They have a good lock design that's ambidextrous and use it on pretty much everything. While that can be boring, it's also stable and predictable and works for everyone. Personally I wouldn't be let down one bit if every future knife used the CBBL. When I'm online there's a good chance my right hand is on the mouse and my left hand is fiddling with my Manix.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'm lucky that both my hands/wrists work fine, I just seem to find myself in situations where maybe my hands are full and I need to close my knife left handed. Seems like this happens all the time for me. Even if for no other reason than what if, I like to be able to operate my knives with both hands. Still, something like a liner lock, to me, is very easy to unlock with my left hand. Maybe I'll make a video playing around with my off hand unlocking various knives..
    Since I've had the displeasure of starting this horrible post; I'll officially rename it "Hello Parlor Tricks"!! Some people just don't get it, no matter how many times and different ways many different people try to explain things.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Manix!

Quote Originally Posted by crow2071 View Post
    Since I've had the displeasure of starting this horrible post; I'll officially rename it "Hello Parlor Tricks"!! Some people just don't get it, no matter how many times and different ways many different people try to explain things.
    You're right. I don't get it.

/thread

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Good did come of this thread, Crow. I learned that Gail is allegedly a lefty!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crow2071 View Post
    Consider it part of your continuing education into the obtuseness of those who are right handed. Specifically, their almost hard-wired inability to understand that, just because someone has the intelligence and adaptability to successfully operate a wrong handed implement does not mean they wish to prove that on a daily basis when excellent correctly handed and hand neutral examples of that implement exist.

I know Spyderco would never be crazy enough to do it, but how many right handed people do you think would be carrying one if Spyderco brought out just a left handed version one of the "hot" new handed designs, for example the Rubicon.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User pdptrow's Avatar
    As Requested my "Southpaw" Southard. . I had trouble with the insert image post tool but got pics uploaded somehow. Like I said not pretty but it works.

2014-05-14 10.03.45.jpg
    2014-05-14 10.04.20.jpg
    2014-05-015.jpg
    2014-05-14 10.01.56.jpg
    Last edited by pdptrow; 05-14-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: pictures
    Paul
    Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule, Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP , M390 Mule, Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P , Delica Super blue
    It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

I know Spyderco would never be crazy enough to do it, but how many right handed people do you think would be carrying one if Spyderco brought out just a left handed version one of the "hot" new handed designs, for example the Rubicon.
    If the Yojimbo 2 came with a Gunting style lefty compression lock I'd still carry one, and I'd actually prefer my liner locks to be lefty because I unlock them with my right index finger already. I'm an exception though.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    If the Yojimbo 2 came with a Gunting style lefty compression lock I'd still carry one, and I'd actually prefer my liner locks to be lefty because I unlock them with my right index finger already. I'm an exception though.
    Maybe it was just the Gunting but my brother swore off the compression lock completely after a short ownership of one. It pinched his hand like crazy almost every time.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sully's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Consider it part of your continuing education into the obtuseness of those who are right handed. Specifically, their almost hard-wired inability to understand that, just because someone has the intelligence and adaptability to successfully operate a wrong handed implement does not mean they wish to prove that on a daily basis when excellent correctly handed and hand neutral examples of that implement exist.

So true, and well said. Though some evolved righties clearly can and do grasp the concept, thankfully.

Now back to daydreaming about the soon-to-be-announced Spyderco Left Hand Rubicon
    “Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!”
    Mr. Burns, The Simpsons
    Other Lefties: Da Vinci, Einstein, Franklin, Newton, Aristotle, Hendrix, Gates, 'The Babe,' 'The Great One' ... Mrs. Gail Glesser?!

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdptrow View Post
    As Requested my "Southpaw" Southard. . I had trouble with the insert image post tool but got pics uploaded somehow. Like I said not pretty but it
    That's not fugly that is a work of art and if it feels good in the the hand screw how it looks cause that's pure genius there
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Quote Originally Posted by pdptrow View Post
    As Requested my "Southpaw" Southard. . I had trouble with the insert image post tool but got pics uploaded somehow. Like I said not pretty but it works.

2014-05-14 10.03.45.jpg
    2014-05-14 10.04.20.jpg
    2014-05-015.jpg
    2014-05-14 10.01.56.jpg
    I made a clip like that years ago just because I wanted a deeper carry clip. I guess it would work equally well as a lefty clip on a righty only knife.

~David