Thread: Calling all Szabo's

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar

Calling all Szabo's

The title says it all
    I'd like to get the straight dope on this knife from all or as many owners. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on one. I would get the stainless one. Thanx guys.
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Dude you're addicted! (And that's a GOOD thing)!
    DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    I want one! I prefer the satin finish myself, I think the gold lightning pattern on the CF looks cool too.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I've held both versions at my local knife store, and they make my Military and Ulize look small. VERY beefy feeling knife...can't stress the word beefy enough. The most I'd feel comfortable with for my regular carry is the Military though, and my Ulize stays home most of the time. The Szabo is an amazing looking knife and the ergos are awesome, but it's just too big for what I need, and more tactical than I want to carry as the police around here are known for going overboard regarding such things (The other reason I don't carry my Ulize all that often, though I still do occasionally due to it's slimness and ease of carry). If it's something you can carry regularly I'd say go for it as it is a very nice knife (And I sure enjoyed handling it and was very tempted to purchase one), but I can't see myself getting one.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    I thought there was a blade length limit in Calgary.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!!, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Lava, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Domino CTS-204P, Bob Lum Tanto Folder Black on Black, Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 204P
    Grail: A.T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I want one! I prefer the satin finish myself, I think the gold lightning pattern on the CF looks cool too.
    Yes, I love the lightning strike pattern.
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy B View Post
    Dude you're addicted! (And that's a GOOD thing)!
    Yes, I am a victim of S.A.D. ( Spyderco Addiction Disorder )
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I've held both versions at my local knife store, and they make my Military and Ulize look small. VERY beefy feeling knife...can't stress the word beefy enough. The most I'd feel comfortable with for my regular carry is the Military though, and my Ulize stays home most of the time. The Szabo is an amazing looking knife and the ergos are awesome, but it's just too big for what I need, and more tactical than I want to carry as the police around here are known for going overboard regarding such things (The other reason I don't carry my Ulize all that often, though I still do occasionally due to it's slimness and ease of carry). If it's something you can carry regularly I'd say go for it as it is a very nice knife (And I sure enjoyed handling it and was very tempted to purchase one), but I can't see myself getting one.
    Cool! A LOT of beautifully made knife for the money. Yeah, Im gonna have to have one fellas
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    I thought there was a blade length limit in Calgary.
    None I've ever heard of...it's rather ambiguous though. Concealed weapons are not allowed, but a knife shouldn't be visible either. It's mostly dependent on the Police Officer you encounter...I'm sure if you had a neck knife or a large hunting knife on a sheath you'd run into problems real fast...though having said that I've been carrying a Spyderco clipped to my jeans pocket for over a decade, and I know a lot of people (Mostly friends of my dad etc.) that have been doing so a lot longer than that and have never had any trouble. That said again...it's all about context...I don't look like a hooligan and I've never had a criminal record or criminal offense etc. I'd just rather have a non tactical looking knife in the even that someone makes a big deal out of it because I use my knives as tools and have no need to use one as self defense. This is a quote from the Bylaw.

Overview of the Public Behaviour Bylaw
    Fighting is prohibited in public places.
    Defecating and urinating are prohibited in public places as well in public while on private property.
    Spitting is not permitted in any public place or in public or private property.
    Loitering that obstructs other people in public places is prohibited.
    Standing or placing one's feet on tables, benches, planters, or sculptures is not permitted in a public place.
    No person shall carry a knife that is visible in a public place.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

I reckon living in the Southern United States has somewhat spoiled me- for lack of a better term. I just find it .....? I'm just confused as to why a man shouldn't be allowed to carry a pocket knife with a 3+ " blade. I mean its just a pocket knife.
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Well guys, its a go. I will be getting the Szabo folder in Satin finish with Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber. Seems National Knives has the best price thus far....
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

The only one that I might change for would be a Domino in Blue weave. Is the Blue weave Domino a sprint run or full production?
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Limited Edition run.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User v8r's Avatar
    I have the lightning strike model and have been carrying it over a week. It is a beefy knife and quite large. The fit and finish is fantastic, and it is very classy for a tactical knife. It looks like it has three stop pins from what I can tell, and seems to be the beefiest comp lock I have ever seen roll out of Spyderco. It dwarfs a Military so take that in to consideration,and may not be legal to carry in your area.
    The Domino blue Cf is also very nice ,and it is going to be my next purchase if I can scrounge up the money.
    V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one

Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    Limited Edition run.
    Dang. Are they still making the lightning strike Szabo? I only saw the black blade listed in the 14 product guide....
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    No they aren't making the lightening strike anymore. There are just a lot left out there.

Now if it wasn't so dang big I'd buy one.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!!, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Lava, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Domino CTS-204P, Bob Lum Tanto Folder Black on Black, Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 204P
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User demoncase's Avatar
    Owned the Szabo with the gold CF for a few months now:

Positives: Build is insanely tough yet the overall result is still very light.
    The grip/handle is super comfy in every position.
    Blade shape is versatile
    Despite being a very big girl, it still disappears into a jeans pocket well due to being 'slab sided'
    The gold CF is beautiful in it's own way.
    The Compression lock is slick and smooth

Negatives: It's a big, aggressive shaped blade- you whip it out in the office to open your lunch sammich and expect possibly negative comments.
    Opening such a big knife is never going to be as 'whippy' or 'flicky' as some of the smaller blades....They do tend to feel a bit 'draggy' for the first few uses too, but this goes away.
    The 'generic' pocket clip lets it down a bit- I've have expected a custom job.
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint....

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    No they aren't making the lightening strike anymore. There are just a lot left out there.

Now if it wasn't so dang big I'd buy one.
    Thanx so much for letting me know. -Now I know lol. hum......what to do....that knife would be just so darn cool!
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

Quote Originally Posted by demoncase View Post
    Owned the Szabo with the gold CF for a few months now:

Positives: Build is insanely tough yet the overall result is still very light.
    The grip/handle is super comfy in every position.
    Blade shape is versatile
    Despite being a very big girl, it still disappears into a jeans pocket well due to being 'slab sided'
    The gold CF is beautiful in it's own way.
    The Compression lock is slick and smooth

Negatives: It's a big, aggressive shaped blade- you whip it out in the office to open your lunch sammich and expect possibly negative comments.
    Opening such a big knife is never going to be as 'whippy' or 'flicky' as some of the smaller blades....They do tend to feel a bit 'draggy' for the first few uses too, but this goes away.
    The 'generic' pocket clip lets it down a bit- I've have expected a custom job.
    Thank you sir. I really appreciate that review. I don't expect this to be a an edc per say. I just want it be cause it seems to be extremely well made and just too dang cool lol. Who knows, maybe its ahead of its time?
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390

lol......I just found out about the Tatanka....its even bigger than the Szabo. But, I don't think it will be as elegant per say....decisions,decisions...
    Vallotton x2
    Caly 3.5
    Military
    Manix 2 XL
    Manix 2 XL DLC
    Manix 2 XL S90V
    Domino
    Yojimbo 2
    Mule Team K390
    B.M. Contego M390