Thread: Which large comb edge? Military or police?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Which large comb edge? Military or police?

Ok, apparently many folks dislike them, but I am a fan of combo edges in large folders. They don't make much sense for me on a delica, but on a military or police sized blade I think it's a great design for a work knife. So I was thinking to try to find one of the disco'd blacked out Militaries but then I got to looking at the police. I already have a ti militaty and the police has thinner blade stock and a slightly longer blade which I like. It's also $50 cheaper. Not sure what to do. I know that I like the military model but it seems silly to order another when there is a model that I don't even own that is cheaper and I might enjoy. I think I'm kind of leaning towards the police. I really wish I had chosen either one of these instead of my sb endura. That thing just sits in its box while the caly 3.5 takes care of all my sb needs.

So what would y'all do? Get another Millie (ce) or a combo edge police?

P.S. Handle material is irrelevant to me ( I like both) so don't base your answer on that.
    Last edited by Surfingringo; 05-10-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    I would pick the Military over the police mainly for the 50/50 choil, the S30V and the lighter weight. These are hiw my preferences fall on these two models.

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Don't have either but I would choose the Mili
    Keep 'em sharp 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 3 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 2 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 3 Paramilitary2, Military, Kiwi

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    I would pick the Military over the police mainly for the 50/50 choil, the S30V and the lighter weight. These are hiw my preferences fall on these two models.
    I agree. Taking nothing away from the Police, but the Millie is so light for its size. I think you would really like it.
    Caly 3.5 VG10
    Police 3 VG10 (Gifted)
    Paramilitary 2 S30V
    Manix 2 XL S30V
    Vallotton S30V
    Manix 2 XL DLC S30V
    Military Camo/DLC S30V
    Yojimbo 2 S30V
    Domino Blue CTS-XHP
    Manix 2 LW S110V
    Manix 2 XL CF S90V
    Mule Team Bohler K390
    B.M. Contego Bohler M390

Quote Originally Posted by MacLaren View Post
    I agree. Taking nothing away from the Police, but the Millie is so light for its size. I think you would really like it.
    Oh, I know for a fact I like the Millie. Already owning a Millie is actually the reason I'm thinking about the police.

As far as choils go, I like them but I find the military's choil to be one of its only flaws. Both small and uncomfortable, I find it nearly useless. Too bad too as the ability to choke up on such a large blade would be useful at times. Not bashing the Millie, it's still one of my all time favorites but the choil could be improved IMHO. Pm2 is a great example of how.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Oh, I know for a fact I like the Millie. Already owning a Millie is actually the reason I'm thinking about the police.

As far as choils go, I like them but I find the military's choil to be one of its only flaws. Both small and uncomfortable, I find it nearly useless. Too bad too as the ability to choke up on such a large blade would be useful at times. Not bashing the Millie, it's still one of my all time favorites but the choil could be improved IMHO. Pm2 is a great example of how.
    lol...my bad, I totally didn't see where you said you had a Ti Millie. But, man you are right about the choil on the Millie. That's one are Id give the clear advantage to my Mega Manix. And yeah, I wish the Millie could be carried tip up or down and left or right. But, still certainly not compaining I appreciate y'all looking over the mistakes I make. Im still just very much learning my way around Spydeys-knives in general Its just a lot of fun to talk about em.
    Caly 3.5 VG10
    Police 3 VG10 (Gifted)
    Paramilitary 2 S30V
    Manix 2 XL S30V
    Vallotton S30V
    Manix 2 XL DLC S30V
    Military Camo/DLC S30V
    Yojimbo 2 S30V
    Domino Blue CTS-XHP
    Manix 2 LW S110V
    Manix 2 XL CF S90V
    Mule Team Bohler K390
    B.M. Contego Bohler M390

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    I'd go with the Police, if you already have a Military. I have been thinking of getting a Police G-10 or an Ulize. I have a Ti-Millie as well, love the Military but I'd go with the Police..
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    The Military would be easier to keep clean because of the open back design, especially if you use it for cleaning fish on occasion.

Does a combo edge Police even exist? I'm sure I've never seen one of those.

EDIT: my bad, I found a CE one
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Manix 2 (LW S110V, M4, Cruwear), Gayle Bradley, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Forum Native 5, Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Military, hands down.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Lance, go get that right now!! Paul
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

If you think they're both capable of doing what you want to do I get the police for variety.