Thread: Problems with my Chaparral

Spyderco Forum Registered User adancingmonkey's Avatar

Problems with my Chaparral

I just got a carbon fiber chaparral this week, was super stoked about it. When I first opened it, it had a sort of gritty feel to it but that has smoothed itself out. However the tang grinds against the liner around the finger choil area and makes an audible noise when opening. This only occurs when opening one handed with the thumb hole, but not very much pressure is required to make the noise. My other knives with steel liners such as the sage 1, g10 dragonfly, and sprint g10 manix do not suffer from this problem. Also the blade seems ever so slightly bent. If you place the lay the blade against something flat, on its left side both the ricasso and the point of the blade touch the surface it is laying on, and on its right obviously the point does not touch the surface as it angles slightly upwards. It's a knife, made of metal parts, so am I being anal about the grinding? It does not seem characteristic of my other spyderco blades though.

Thanks for any info.
    manix 2: S30V BD1, dragonfly 2: VG10 H1 Super Blue, domino: XHP, sage 1, CF-chaparral

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    The noise will go away of you tighten the pivot a tad
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I don't think you are anal-retentive (excessively orderly and fussy) at all. And I certainly do not think you are being anal (asshole). You are simply expecting a great product from a company that makes lots of them. The Chaparral isn't a cheap trinket. If you are not satisfied send it back under warranty with a note explaining the problems you have observed. A bent blade is certainly not right. Noise means something is rubbing. Get it checked out.

B.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Pictures would help us all.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sully's Avatar
    Bent blade on a $100+ new knife. Send it to the W&R with a note. They'll be happy to replace.
    “Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!”
    Mr. Burns, The Simpsons
    Other Lefties: Da Vinci, Einstein, Franklin, Newton, Aristotle, Hendrix, Gates, 'The Babe,' 'The Great One' ... Mrs. Gail Glesser?!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I got a bad Chaparral when they first came out, and immediately sent it back to the dealer for an exchange. Now it's perfect, as a Taichung knife should be.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    My new Chap had exactly the same grinding issue as you describe, making noise when one-handed opening. As Spencer mentioned, I adjusted the pivot a tad, oiled the pivot (NanoOil 10W), and opened and closed it repeatedly many times. The issue is now gone save for a very slight sound when I open it with some pressure to that one side. If your blade is actually bent, absolutely send it back to W&R for a replacement. Mine made the grinding sound closest to the pivot area, if yours is grinding further down the blade, it's definitely not straight. For me it recovered fine with a little TLC, and I'm carrying it this week in Detroit (wish I had my Millie though, this place is definitely sketchy!). It's a beautiful knife! Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Have there been any cases of the internal stop pin making any grinding noises?

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    Have there been any cases of the internal stop pin making any grinding noises?
    Good question... For me it was definitely blade against liner contact causing the problem.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User adancingmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks a lot for the prompt responses folks. This is exactly what I was hoping for.
    manix 2: S30V BD1, dragonfly 2: VG10 H1 Super Blue, domino: XHP, sage 1, CF-chaparral

Spyderco Forum Registered User donutsrule's Avatar
    For mine, it was actually the microscopically-raised lettering on the tang making noise, so that polishing them down with the UF Sharpmaker stones made the noise go away without otherwise marking up the tang.

But if you're going to return one for being bent, do that before you take the stone to one.