Thread: Sharpening my Manbug, ZDP-189. 30 degree or 40 degree with a Sharpmaker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Wink Sharpening my Manbug, ZDP-189. 30 degree or 40 degree with a Sharpmaker.

I read the instructions BUT, I have a good sharp blade with the 40 degree setting. Will I get a better edge with the 30 degree setting. I have the two brown and two white triangles that came with the Sharpmaker, plus I bought the ultra fine, 204 UF1.

Nice knife fits my big hand well.
    MGREP, C10PSBBK

I like the 30 degree setting with a 40 degree micro bevel. It makes touch ups so much quicker and easier, in my experience.
    DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zatx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy B View Post
    I like the 30 degree setting with a 40 degree micro bevel. It makes touch ups so much quicker and easier, in my experience.
    This.
    “Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser

Let me start this reply with this: I'm no expert and don't even own a manbug. My understanding is that ZDP will be able to hold a more acute angle without rolling an edge. So if you are not doing heavy duty cutting, and let's face it this is a manbug, I would try 30.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.

Unless the edge is close to 30 already reprofiling ZDP with the brown stones will take a very long time. If you are happy now stay on 40 until you find someone with some diamond stones.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy B View Post
    I also go with this.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

reprofiling ZDP

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Breuker View Post
    Unless the edge is close to 30 already reprofiling ZDP with the brown stones will take a very long time. If you are happy now stay on 40 until you find someone with some diamond stones.
    I had to re-profile my 2013 forum native S110V and trying to do it, or ZDP, with the standard Sharpmaker stones would take forever. I bought a small, thin diamond stone that I laid on top of the Sharpmaker rod. It re-profiled quite fast that way.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.

Hi Weetoots,

Welcome to our forum.

I uses 30 for ZDP.

sal

Thanks all. Good info. I'll work my way toward 30.
    Mr. Sal, thanks for the welcome.
    MGREP, C10PSBBK