Thread: How do you carry your Air?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

How do you carry your Air?

Since this little guy has no clip, do you guys simply drop it in your pocket?

I normally put it in my watch pocket whenever I am wearing jeans. If I wear other pants, I have a little hesitation to just drop it in my pockets. As the detent is not very strong, I am a little afraid that the blade will open in my pocket and somehow cut my thigh or cut my fingers when putting my hand in the pocket.

May I have your views on this?

BTW, this is one of my favorite knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I usually drop it in the front left pocket of my suit pants. Never had any problem with it deploying unintentionally. It seems very secure to me...

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User vaisforlovers's Avatar
    I slip it into a small, flexible leather pouch, then loose in my pocket.
    "The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill

I drop mine into my right pocket but I have been trying to figure out a better method ever since my last outing with the knife. I put it into my right pants pocket as usual but unknown to me there was a hole in the pocket just big enough for it to slip right out. Didn't even notice when it fell out of the hole. Went into Costco, proceeded to spend plenty of money, was sitting down having a polish dog and realize the car keys in my pocket don't feel right. Stand up to figure out what is going on and realize half my key chain is hanging out the bottom of my pocket. I then try to locate my Air and to my horror realize it is no longer in my pocket. Twenty minutes later I have now retraced my path through the store with no luck locating the knife. With my head held low I walk out of Costco with a light wallet and lighter pocket, load my groceries into the car and in a last ditch effort look in the driver's side to see if I was lucky enough to have lost it in the car but still no Air. One last thought is maybe it fell out while getting out of the car, so I make my final search and laying right there in the parking space next to the drivers side is my Air. I breathed a sigh of relief and headed home. Unfortunately for my Air it has been under house arrest ever since and will remain that way until I can figure out a more secure method of carrying it. The best idea I have seen is to retrofit a clip onto the Air and may just end up going this route.
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    For now, I carry one in my dreams. I hope to one day carry one in my back left pocket.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Mine's normally at the bottom of my left front pocket, just below a ridiculous number of things hanging off a TEC pocket dangler.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I used to cary mine in my right watch/coin pocket
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Manix 2 LW, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Carry mine in right front suit pants pocket. No issues to date.

Good to hear that you guys are doing fine carrying your Air loose in your pocket. I have been thinking about putting a clip on mine but still have not come up with any way to do that. Have you guy been thinking about this too?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I used to cary mine in my right watch/coin pocket
    Same here
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hom76 View Post
    Good to hear that you guys are doing fine carrying your Air loose in your pocket. I have been thinking about putting a clip on mine but still have not come up with any way to do that. Have you guy been thinking about this too?
    I have seen someone mod a wire clip to one. Cannot remember who though. Also the little clip and key chain thing seems to work for some other guys.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar

Clipped LFP. No worries!

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

Mine goes loose in my front pocket. Never had any kind of issue with it.

If you're worried about it opening I suggest to get a dedicated pouch for it.

Some knives, as a regular friction folder, are intended to be carried inside a pouch. But that's not the case for the Spyderco Air.
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User linuxology's Avatar
    Not concerned of deploying in my pocket but concerned with losing it. I once lost it in a fold of slacks pocket. It is so light I had a hell of a time finding it. Do not carry this knife enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post

Clipped LFP. No worries!

Ken
    Nice mod, Ken!

How do you secure the clip in place?

Nice mod, Ken!

How do you secure the clip in place?
    Thanks! I just Dremmelled a couple channels in the Ti liner. It's really the only location with enough real estate to make it work. I think the scales would have secured it well enough at that point (I assembled it to test that) but I added a drop of epoxy to seal the deal. Works great, so far.

Ken
    玉鋼

I got some ideas now. Thanks Ken!

I got some ideas now. Thanks Ken!
    No worries, just be careful and go slowly. Not a lot of room for error.

Ken
    玉鋼