Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: One knife to rule them all...

  1. #21
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    It has arrived!
    Pictures up tomorrow with better lighting
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  2. #22
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBlades View Post
    It isn't a production folder or an actual Spyderco.
    It's a custom made knife, the only made.
    It's inspired by spyderco, which can be seen clearly.

    Look at it like a custom piece but still true to the spyderco style :3
    sounds like someone ought to send a royalty check to golden

  3. #23
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    15
    I agree. Shouldn't this post be in the fakes and knockoff section?

  4. #24
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Upstate SC, USA
    Posts
    21,350
    Quote Originally Posted by crow2071 View Post
    I agree. Shouldn't this post be in the fakes and knockoff section?
    Without knowing who made DutchBlades' knife, it's hard to say. There are numerous custom knifemakers who are licensed by Spyderco to use the Spyderhole opener, so their work would most definitely not belong there. However, there are others who use it without permission. Even knowing the maker, it may be a case where only Spyderco could say for sure, since the list of licensed makers is not published.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

  5. #25
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    The package arrived yesterday.
    And I must say... she is a beauty.

    Thinking about making a video on it on YouTube,
    if some folks here are interested in it, let me know

    Here are some pictures (Bad lighting, grey weather allllll day...)







    It sure has been a long wait, even though it only took 2 days to get here xD
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  6. #26
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    It's as smooth as butter, fit & finish is just perfect, the liner lock is great and comfortable, no side to side or up and down play, no scratches, razor sharp, waaaay more better looking that shown in the pictures sadly , size is a little bigger than the Centofante III, more classy than drinking scotch with a cigar and a three piece suit.
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  7. #27
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Without knowing who made DutchBlades' knife, it's hard to say. There are numerous custom knifemakers who are licensed by Spyderco to use the Spyderhole opener, so their work would most definitely not belong there. However, there are others who use it without permission. Even knowing the maker, it may be a case where only Spyderco could say for sure, since the list of licensed makers is not published.
    Fair enough but the fact that the questions about the maker have been "magically" glossed over doesn't help the case.

  8. #28
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by crow2071 View Post
    Fair enough but the fact that the questions about the maker have been "magically" glossed over doesn't help the case.
    In regards to that question... I haven't got the slightest clue.
    I bought it from it's previous owner who did not have this information for me.
    It must be a good knife maker, but sadly I don't know who it is...

    Looked for makers marks, found two symbols filed in the inside of the handle.
    However, they don't look familiar to me.
    They look like a capital M and a 1...
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  9. #29
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    That almost looks like a made-in-Pakistan knife to me.

  10. #30
    Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    340
    That is a beautiful knife, but the liner lock does not exactly look confidence inspiring...

  11. #31
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Mako109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by dgebler View Post
    That is a beautiful knife, but the liner lock does not exactly look confidence inspiring...
    Nor do the huge gaps between the blade tang/ricasso and liners as shown in the last pic...
    Mako "the thread killer"

  12. #32
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Tested the liner under more stress than necessary.
    It held up great, doesn't look like much,
    But it can hold up perfectly
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  13. #33
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako109 View Post
    Nor do the huge gaps between the blade tang/ricasso and liners as shown in the last pic...
    Wonder how much that knife cost, the gaps don't speak to me of excellent f&f.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  14. #34
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    988
    Op, you just bought your custom made "grail" and you don't know who made it? I assume if you have no idea who made it, you have no idea where it was made either? How were you able to determine a fair price? Just from looking at pictures? I'm curious how much you were willing to pay for a knife of unknown origin based purely on photos.

    Methinks this thread is drifting slowly into the realm of the unwell...

  15. #35
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Op, you just bought your custom made "grail" and you don't know who made it? I assume if you have no idea who made it, you have no idea where it was made either? How were you able to determine a fair price? Just from looking at pictures? I'm curious how much you were willing to pay for a knife of unknown origin based purely on photos.

    Methinks this thread is drifting slowly into the realm of the unwell...
    I saw it a while back in picture's.
    I wanted it...bad... and I asked if it was for sale.
    The guy selling it wanted $400 at the least and I wasn't going to pay that much money for a unknown knife.
    I asked him if he would set it up for auction and some time later he did and informed me.
    I won the auction at $49 including shipping, that's the reason why I bought it.
    I love the knife and I got it cheap.

    The quality is good, the craftsmanship is amazing in my eyes and I really like the looks of the knife.
    Sure I have other customs that I'm really happy with, and know the makers etc.
    But this knife was one that I just had to have from the moment I saw it.
    Sure, I absolutely love my MK6, know who made it and love the moonglow etc.
    But despite the fact that I don't know allot about the knife besides the details I gave at the beginning,
    I just wanted it...

    For me it's not always about who made it or where was it made and how much is it worth.
    This time it was the feeling I got when I first saw it,
    I had to have it no matter what, and I got it.
    In my eyes, that is what a grail knife is supposed to be.
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  16. #36
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBlades View Post
    I saw it a while back in picture's.
    I wanted it...bad... and I asked if it was for sale.
    The guy selling it wanted $400 at the least and I wasn't going to pay that much money for a unknown knife.
    I asked him if he would set it up for auction and some time later he did and informed me.
    I won the auction at $49 including shipping, that's the reason why I bought it.
    I love the knife and I got it cheap.

    The quality is good, the craftsmanship is amazing in my eyes and I really like the looks of the knife.
    Sure I have other customs that I'm really happy with, and know the makers etc.
    But this knife was one that I just had to have from the moment I saw it.
    Sure, I absolutely love my MK6, know who made it and love the moonglow etc.
    But despite the fact that I don't know allot about the knife besides the details I gave at the beginning,
    I just wanted it...

    For me it's not always about who made it or where was it made and how much is it worth.
    This time it was the feeling I got when I first saw it,
    I had to have it no matter what, and I got it.
    In my eyes, that is what a grail knife is supposed to be.
    Ahh, $49 off eBay. That answers most of my questions. Thank you for your open and honest response Dutchblades. I appreciate your candor.

  17. #37
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Ahh, $49 off eBay. That answers most of my questions. Thank you for your open and honest response Dutchblades. I appreciate your candor.
    Wasn't off of eBay, it was from a Dutch site.
    Forum bidding
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  18. #38
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Small City, Philippines
    Posts
    8,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Ahh, $49 off eBay. That answers most of my questions. Thank you for your open and honest response Dutchblades. I appreciate your candor.
    $$49 for damascus...yep.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.



    http://sharpthings.net/chat

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

  19. #39
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    $$49 for damascus...yep.
    Indeed
    Rules of the forum, not matter what price, you have to make the deal.
    If not, you're breaking the law xD
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

  20. #40
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    238
    From second picture, the spine shot shows the knife isn't totally straight. I also notice uneven bevel at the heel from tha last picture ... :?:

    Edit: just saw auction price
    It now makes sense.
    Last edited by anagarika; 05-10-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •