Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt knives and fish pics :)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    The large needlefish have very white meat and are surprisingly delicious. Filet those and fry them in olive oil and seasoning. The snapper we bake whole with a spicy olive oil and onion sauce I make. The eggs are already gone. My girlfriend loves them even more than I do!
    Do you eat the eggs raw, cured like other roe caviar, or cooked in some way? I've always liked the smaller variety of eggs used in sushi but could never get into the salmon roe.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post
    Do you eat the eggs raw, cured like other roe caviar, or cooked in some way? I've always liked the smaller variety of eggs used in sushi but could never get into the salmon roe.
    The eggs are quite large (about bb sized). We fry them in a little bit of olive oil and some Tony Chachere's seasoning. So good!

Tony Chachere's seasoning.
    you can take the boy outta Louisiana but you can't take it out of the boy...we pronounce it "Tony Sha-shur-rays" here in Alabama. is that correct?

Oh and I bought my sister a PE Tasman today ( they had no Tasman SE at the local shop) for her hiking SD tool. She had my Orange Dodo sprint but I asked for it back under the condition of a replacement

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    Awesome thread! Thanx much.
    Vallotton, Caly3.5,Manix 2 XL (gifted to bro),Military Camo/DLC,Domino Blue,Manix 2 XL CF S90v, Manix 2 S110V, Mule Team#19 K390,Manix 2 XL DLC,Rock Lobster
    SpyderNation #31

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Amazing fish and amazing knives! cool!

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Good catch & nice pics there!

Awesome pics!
    Thanks a lot!

Awesome pics & thread!

Couple eyes and a Catcherman tonight.
    ~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post

Couple eyes and a Catcherman tonight.
    Right on man! Those walleyes? Never had any, they good eating? Man, if I could choose ANY spyderco to return to normal production it would be the catcherman! (I would choose for it to have a real pocket clip, but I would take it either way)

Spyderco Forum Registered User i am travvy's Avatar
    well i dont have any salt knives just yet but i do have fish pics!

carp i caught the other day

couple of redfish

and last pic i have is a bass

Endura 4 ffg, super blue delcia, elmax pm2, cruwear military, urban wharnie

Quote Originally Posted by i am travvy View Post
    well i dont have any salt knives just yet but i do have fish pics!

]
    You are really missing out brother! I'd start with a serrated edge pacific salt if I were you. It is far and away the most useful, and used, knife I own! And a bargain to boot!

Nice pics!

You are really missing out brother! I'd start with a serrated edge pacific salt if I were you. It is far and away the most useful, and used, knife I own! And a bargain to boot!

Nice pics!
    Ive been thinking about a pacific salt but have also been looking at some of the fixed blades as well. Having to cut big baits for shark and stuff i dont want anything getting into the pivot. What ever i get it will be serrated.

Ive been thinking about a pacific salt but have also been looking at some of the fixed blades as well. Having to cut big baits for shark and stuff i dont want anything getting into the pivot. What ever i get it will be serrated.
    Listen to what I'm gonna tell you here. Don't worry about the pivot! I often turn mine over in the kayak and scale big (and small) snapper with the spine. I've had the knife and pivot get so loaded with blood, guts and those big quarter sized scales that it would barely open and close. Reach over and swish that thing in the water a few times and it will work like the day you bought it. The decision to not put pivot bushings in this knife and to keep it mechanically simple was brilliant. You just can't screw this thing up...well, I can't, and I've beat mine like a rented mule.

Fwiw, I owned an aqua salt and used to carry it as a bait/boat knife but I found myself reaching for the pacific salt every single time so I ended up selling off the aqua for lack of use. Ymmv on the aqua, but you can't go wrong with the pacific salt for a fishing knife IMO. Fish on!

Hmmmm... pretty good points there. Im use to using crappy knives to cut bait with and once some blood and scales get in there its done. Find the nearest trashcan and dump it lol. I might just give the pacific a shot once i have some spare cash.

Hmmmm... pretty good points there. Im use to using crappy knives to cut bait with and once some blood and scales get in there its done. Find the nearest trashcan and dump it lol. I might just give the pacific a shot once i have some spare cash.
    Lol, I'm almost embarrassed to admit how little I do to maintain mine. I've left mine in the sink more than once with scales and fish goo in the pivot and rinsed it off the next day and it's been good as new. These knives are absolutely bulletproof!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I'd wager it wouldn't stand up very well to an actual bullet (To be too literal)...but the Salt series is seriously tough and capable. I've done some things with my SE Dragonfly Salt that I wouldn't try with my other knives (It and my green Tenacious are my beater knives). I'd drop it 100+ feet onto gravel (While closed) and not feel bad at all. My FRN Native shrugged off a 275 foot fall onto gravel, and the FRN barely even shows a mark...it's pretty tough stuff, and H1 is definitely tougher (By that I mean less chippy) than S30V. Sharpens easily too.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Yes no worries. I use that Catcherman for filleting and scaling. I also leave mine out over night all nasty and never had any issues. I will say I love my USn Catcherman tho it's great for the smaller fish.
    ~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~

All of you enablers...... pacific salt next on my list lol