Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Feed The Techno

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    This thread annoys me! I have handled the techno twice and both times I've been completely unimpressed with the ergos and have passed, yet here I am thinking I need to give it a third try!
    *swinging a pocketwatch slowly in front of Surfingringo*

"You're getting sleepy... Very sleepy..."

All jesting aside, the Techno is by far one of my favorite go-to EDC blades. My wife gave me the Techno as a birthday present a while back. (At first I thought it was going to be a Leafstorm ). After carrying it for a few days, I immediately fell in love with the stout blade, over-built lock, and beefy frame. Even the ergos melt into my hand--and I wear size XL in gloves. Of course, I'm a real sucker for all Little Big Knives--I love 'em all. I also love the deep carry wire clip; I hardly know I'm even carrying it! In all honesty, I'd take my Techno over my small Sebenza 21 any day of the week.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    So after five or so hours it's going well. Detennt is strong but I may be holding it wrong also. I've never had a frame lock so this is new to me. Tomorrow it will definitely get more use.

So far I am enjoying it more than I expected to.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    What's not to love about the Techno? I'll admit it's a creeper though, I didn't like it much at first either and had to carry it for weeks before I "got" it (and only then did I finally understand the hype). It sets a very high bar in the F&F department for not only Spyderco, but the whole industry. Can't wait for the big brother Bowie!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    What's not to love about the Techno? I'll admit it's a creeper though, I didn't like it much at first either and had to carry it for weeks before I "got" it (and only then did I finally understand the hype). It sets a very high bar in the F&F department for not only Spyderco, but the whole industry. Can't wait for the big brother Bowie!

Great pair right there.... That's a great small and large blade combo.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Scorpion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swigert View Post
    Funny you should say that. My big/small combo is the Techno and Manbug. One word, "perspective".

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    This thread has prompted me to remove my Techno's clip and to adjust my sigline. Talk about First World choices...
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    So after five or so hours it's going well. Detennt is strong but I may be holding it wrong also. I've never had a frame lock so this is new to me. Tomorrow it will definitely get more use.

So far I am enjoying it more than I expected to.
    You can check out a thread I started about the strong techno detent. I think there are multiple factors...first it does have a strong detent which I think is a good thing. Second you may be (I was) pressing too hard against the lockbar when opening and creating a lot more friction/pressure on the blade when opening. I have to kindof curl my fingers to press outward on the lockbar and this helps deployment a good bit. The third factor I noticed was that I needed to move my thumb in a different arc. Rather than press outward, I find if I use pressure towards the tip and out this opens much more easily. Of course with a flick it rockets out like an auto, but I bought this one for more public friendly use and I prefer a controlled thumb opening.

Enjoy the knife! This one grew on me after a few days/weeks of constant carry and didn't leave the pocket till I scooped up the S110v manix.

OP Here,

Going good so far today!

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up Techno Rules!

Hi Radioactive!

Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    What's not to love about the Techno? It sets a very high bar in the F&F department for not only Spyderco, but the whole industry. Can't wait for the big brother Bowie!
    Absolutely Agreed!

And that makes us two waiting for the upcoming Bowie!

And how about this pic for such a wonderful couple, here both original Custom made by Marcin Slysz:

Stay Sharp!

Can't wait for the Bowie, especially after the techno is clicking a little more.

I gotta get this blue Backspacer out though. I'm thinking cf from cuscadi.

Can't wait for the Bowie, especially after the techno is clicking a little more.

The smooth cf cuscadi backspacer looks good in person. I'd really like a metal backspacer with the same finish as the blade but no one makes it that I'm aware of. I didn't mind the stock blue but the inside of the gear teeth collected dirt too easily. One day of sawing wood and you're carrying around a fire hazard

Thanks for the great comments swigert and LC Kid on my weekend EDC pair! LC, those are some awesome Slysz customs, are those yours (asking super jealously...)? Scorpion, the other part of my trio is a Manbug on my keychain (permanent resident there), so great minds think alike! I don't carry the Millie during the week for obvious reasons, it's my weekend warrior. Swigert, Luke at Cuscadi is awesome to deal with and set me up with this OD Micarta backspacer for my Techno, price was very reasonable too! Can't recommend them enough! Cheers everyone, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Funny how tastes run...the blue backspacer was one of my favorite parts of the knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Scorpion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Funny how tastes run...the blue backspacer was one of my favorite parts of the knife.
    I agree. I love it!

Radioactive what options did they have for colors? If it's not to big of a deal could you take some more detail pics of those od back spacers?

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I'll eventually have a geared green glow in the dark Cuscadi backspacer on mine...the blue isn't bad though.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    I've been going back and forth on this knife too...I love smallish knives, so I could see myself picking up.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I'll eventually have a geared green glow in the dark Cuscadi backspacer on mine...the blue isn't bad though.
    The blue is just to bright for me on a beautiful sleek dark knife I wish the blue didn't stand out so much.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I was torn between making a new thread or not, since we're already all talking techno here. So, couple more questions. And hey, pics I guess.

On a scale of 1 to going insane, how worried should I be about this dent, which the seller didn't let me know about?

And lastly, on the face of the tang, (the part the locks with the RIL) only a small part of the surface is shiny, meaning actually contacting the lock bar. That is the dark part in the pic. Is this normal? Is this the father of lock-rock?
    1. I wouldn't be too concerned about the dent. IMHO, the dent kind of lends itself well to the already stone-washed finish.

2. The contact area of the tang appears to be appropriate per your picture. Master knifemaker Bob Terzuola advised a contact area of no more than 0.90" to 0.125" between the tang and locking liner. Based on this, you should be good to go. (However, if you do sense a bit of rocking or play in the lock, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Spyderco for evaluation).
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Radioactive what options did they have for colors? If it's not to big of a deal could you take some more detail pics of those od back spacers?
    Hi swigert, I think they have CF, the Olive drab Micarta I have, orange, and green or blue glow in the dark versions (by memory, they might have more options than this). They can do them smooth or ribbed like the original blue one (which I do like Lance but I wanted one to match my Millie). By far the cheapest option would be to just take the stock one out and RIT dye it black ($3 for dye and vinegar and a half hour work). Save you at least $30 that way. I'm at a business conference right now so it's not with me to take pics, but I can do so when I get back this weekend. Cheers, Radioactive