Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Force Feed The Techno

Spyderco Forum Registered User flipe8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    I would definitely not be concerned about any lack of high precision machining of a Ti backspacer from Cuscadi, their F&F is on par or better than Spyderco itself. If anyone besides Sal's crew could make such an item, Cuscadi would be the first place I'd seek out. Everything I've ordered from them is ultra high quality.
    While it is very high quality, the Cuscadi carbon spacer for my Techno doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the factory backspacer and based on all the pics on the internet I've seen, this isn't just mine.

I'd order a Ti backspacer in a heartbeat, though.
    Big time gear snob
    Salt 1
    SFKW sugilite Kiwi
    Techo!
    Byrd Cara Cara II FRN(lives in bunker gear)
    Far too many sold...

Trusting my own experience

Spyderco Forum Registered User Scorpion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flipe8 View Post
    While it is very high quality, the Cuscadi carbon spacer for my Techno doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the factory backspacer and based on all the pics on the internet I've seen, this isn't just mine.

Exactly! I always wondered why, since they have the tools to do it right I'm sure. This is why I am really glad I love the original blue.

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    My orange geared one has the tops flush, while the original blue one has the gears slightly more raised.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Done any cutting yet??? I am interested to hear your opinions on using the knife, I am convinced it is just as beautiful as it could be straight from the factory (which is odd for me as I tend to favor customization on many of my knives). Anyway, this thread has got me to kick out the new Manix S110v and put the techno back in my pocket. I am sure I will still carry and use the Manix alot as the weather gets nice and I wears shorts/boardies but this techno is one awesome knife. I haven't used it for too many hard tasks, not because I am scared too, just haven't found the need when I have been carrying this at the office, etc.

So...what have you cut, how did it do, how do the ergo's treat you when cutting? I put a small lanyard on mine (you see I dig the blue theme) and this has improved the grip IMO during use and pulling from the pocket. I tried with the clip removed which I like, but I found I just did not carry as much when I am wearing other than jeans...pics?

Name:  20140509_072542.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  41.8 KB

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar

Mine is perfect, flush and has zero issues. Sorry to hear yours isn't...
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    My Cuscadi cf backspacer fits good as well. I took a picture but when I tried to upload it I got an error message saying max 100 kb.

Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    My Cuscadi cf backspacer fits good as well. I took a picture but when I tried to upload it I got an error message saying max 100 kb.
    You should get an account on a photo sharing site like Photobucket to avoid this issue, otherwise you'll never be able to load a decent size/resolution pic directly due to these file size restrictions on Spyderco's website.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Thanks RadioactiveSpyder. I shyed away from those sites in the past because I didn't want to give out personal info. Turns out you can enter anything you like and it'll accept it.

As I posted earlier, I got the cf spacer because I didn't like how fast the stock spacer collected dirt. After that I got a good deal on the wood spacer and later I did a trade for another Techno for a knife I wasn't using.

The wood is stabilized maple burl. Though not perfect it looks quite nice in person.

Last edited by gph; 05-10-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Mine is perfect, flush and has zero issues. Sorry to hear yours isn't...
    There's no issues with it, but it just doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the original along the butt of the handle, while the gears don't sit as proud. Could you post a few pics of yours?
    Big time gear snob
    Salt 1
    SFKW sugilite Kiwi
    Techo!
    Far too many sold...

Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    My orange geared one has the tops flush, while the original blue one has the gears slightly more raised.
    I'm talking about the butt of your knife. In your pic, you can see it doesn't sit as perfectly flush. It's far from a big deal, but it is there.
    Big time gear snob
    Salt 1
    SFKW sugilite Kiwi
    Techo!
    Far too many sold...

Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    Thanks RadioactiveSpyder. I shyed away from those sites in the past because I didn't want to give out personal info. Turns out you can enter anything you like and it'll accept it.

As I posted earlier, I got the cf spacer because I didn't like how fast the stock spacer collected dirt. After that I got a good deal on the wood spacer and later I did a trade for another Techno for a knife I wasn't using.

The wood is stabilized maple burl. Though not perfect it looks quite nice in person.
    Sure thing, I followed the same advice when I first started out here and it's worked well so far. Those are both really sharp looking backspacers! I especially like the smooth maple one, I could definitely be tempted to get a smooth desert ironwood one to match my Native. We'll be expecting more pics! Cheers, Radioactive

There's no issues with it, but it just doesn't sit as perfectly flush as the original along the butt of the handle, while the gears don't sit as proud. Could you post a few pics of yours?
    Here you go. The last gear in the last pic does seem to sit a little proud. Guess that's easily fixable. I did have to sand the back end on my Military backspacer because the blade was biting into it. Some very fine grit sandpaper has been the way to go, have to track mine down I guess!

Op here.

So far so good. Much better than I expected. I have dome some cardboard boxes and it cut very well. It was short and I kept running out of blade but I think that's because I'm used to much larger blades.

I don't think this will permenant however. It just doesn't do it for me when it comes to food prep. Too small for me. I do a lot of the cooking around the house and like to use my spyderco folders in the kitchen.

Definitely too small for food prep but I could see myself actually carrying 2 knives now because of the techno. Maybe a military and a techno. Who knows.

Still going to go with it for another 9 days. I have been using kitchen knives for food prep but the techno for everything else.

Gotta admit, I like a lot more than I did the first time around but sometimes I feel like I can hear my para 2 calling to me. I refuse to pick the para up because I know I love the ergos so much.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    The Techno is definitely too thick (And short) for food prep. I don't bother trying my Schempp Tuff on food prep either...too thick. My preferences of my Spydies for food prep is in order, my Chokwe, Military (The CruWear makes a damn fine steak knife and has developed no semblance of patina yet), Caly 3.5, and SB Stretch. The Techno is awesome on cardboard though, and zip ties including the heavy duty UV rated ones, and also dirty/muddy cargo straps, rope, etc.

Edit: I should also add that as mentioned in your previous post, the Techno is fantastic when paired with a larger Spyderco. If I'm unsure of what I'll be doing throughout the day I'll carry my Stretch or PM2 or Tuff etc., but have the Techno in the watch pocket of my jeans above the larger Spyderco for occasions when a more sheeple friendly knife is preferable or a task where the belly of the Techno really excels, like peeling up the corner of a metal sticker like the crane inspection sticker on the boom of one of our picker trucks. I also carry a Leatherman Skeletool CX in my left pocket, and a SpacePen (Copper Hinderer Investigator as of recently, which sits right beside my wallet in my back right pocket). Between all of the above, I'm prepared for very nearly any unexpected situation that may arise.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Sometimes I do carry a pocket watch in my watch pocket, though if I'm carrying my pocket watch I'm not expecting any vigorous manual labour tasks, and I did find my Techno kicking my Nishijin Dragonfly and Chaparral 1 out of my pocket as my preferred gentlemans folder (Hence why I sold both). This is my pocket watch.

Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

What's up Swigert? You bored with that thing yet?

My gut tells me that even though you're trying to love it you're still gonna be kinda "meh" after two weeks. Im interested to find out.

Swigert! Where you at man?! I'm still interested to hear where you're at on this knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User texashawk50's Avatar
    Ordered my Techno today. Wanted another pocket watch knife. I can see my dragonflys taking a long break. Food prep is the job of one my cheapest and best spydies the Resilience. Thinking my techno will be good riding buddy with my Tuff.

Gringo,

I'm still a little meh....I really started liking it but when I went back to the caly 3.5, para 2 and GB it hasn't seen any pocket time.

I'm thinking it will get sold

Spyderco Forum Registered User texashawk50's Avatar
    I always carry a dragonfly as secondary. The techno is meant to be a backup. My opinion of course. Not great always pulling out a 3.5 or 4 inch blade with people around