Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Southard

Spyderco Forum Registered User VeloWeave's Avatar

Mini Southard

Honey, I shrunk my Southard. What I have here is a Spyderco Southard which I sent to Bower Bladeworks. I have to start out by saying he did a phenomenal job. Without affecting the amazing fit & finish that comes out of Spyderco's Taichung plant he was able to make the knife into something that I would carry on a daily basis. I loved the original Southard but for me if the blade length comes in over 3 inches it just sits on the dresser looking pretty. I didn't want to sell my Southard and I really wanted to carry it more often, so when I saw Kevin showing off this mod that he did to his own Southard I contacted him to see if he would do one for me. I now carry this knife daily, it's right up there with my Small Sebenza Insingo and the cutting edge is just about the same size.

The Mod was done by shortening the back end of the knife, contouring the pocket clip to match the rear and getting rid of that pointy end on the front of the clip that bothers some folks. Then the blade was shortened and recountoured by removing the hump on top, giving it a slight concave swoop that falls off at the end sort of like a modified sheepsfoot. The blade spine was rounded and polished and finished with an acid stonewash (clip is also acid stonewashed). The show side scale and over travel is Silver Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber. The back is the original titanium which has been rounded off a bit, or CC'd, and then Blue Anodized.

The bottom two pics are for size reference with my Prometheus Lights Beta-QR flashlight. Enjoy! It's Awesome!

Last edited by VeloWeave; 05-28-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Most Carried: Caly 3 CF, Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
    Wishlist 2014: Dice, Mnandi, Strider PT CC
    Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2
    Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter
    Coming Soon Flashlight: MBI HF Copper 3 mode with Hi Cri emitter (arrived and it's awesome!)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Wow! I love it!
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    That is amazing work...
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Looks like an awesome job! How much metal is left between the hole and spine? Pictures make it look thin.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    Looks like an awesome job! How much metal is left between the hole and spine? Pictures make it look thin.
    Well, there wasn't any metal removed from that section except for the slight rounding of the spine which makes it look like it. The rounding off kind of tricks the eye. The profiling of the blade started a little farther down from the spydie hole.

Most Carried: Caly 3 CF, Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
    Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2
    Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter
    Coming Soon Flashlight: MBI HF Copper 3 mode with Hi Cri emitter (arrived and it's awesome!)

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Very nice mod. Looks awesome!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Yes that is very cool...Thank you for posting!
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I got on his books for one a week ago, can't wait for that! The Mini Para 2 is cool, also, but I think the Southard should be just a tad cooler and makes it closer to a 'custom' Southard

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Really nice...especially the crowned spine! I too have always wanted a 3" Southard and it looks like you actually achieved it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Scorpion's Avatar
    How much did that all cost? This looks amazing but I think most people would have found it way out of their price range.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    That looks sick. I always wanted a southard but the blade is too big. I wish sal would come up with a mini southard with a 3 inch blade. I think it would be very popular.
    My 's
    Pm2(1), manix2 LW, salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10(3), manbug, ladybug, sage 3(2), citadel 83mm, embassy, domino

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Spydersense View Post
    Wow! I love it!
    Thanks Spydersense, I do to!
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBlades View Post
    That is amazing work...
    It sure is. Kevin does nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    Very nice mod. Looks awesome!
    Thank you senorsquare, nice seeing you around the forums and IG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Yes that is very cool...Thank you for posting!
    Not a problem Ned, thanks for prompting me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujobob View Post
    I got on his books for one a week ago, can't wait for that! The Mini Para 2 is cool, also, but I think the Southard should be just a tad cooler and makes it closer to a 'custom' Southard
    The Mini Para 2 does look cool Cujobob. I think you're right the Southard is a bit more unique. It's inspired by his Tarsus model. You'll have to post some pics when you get it. What material are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by knolan View Post
    Really nice...especially the crowned spine! I too have always wanted a 3" Southard and it looks like you actually achieved it.
    The crowned spine is really cool. I love it on the Sebenza and am thrilled to have it on the Mini Southard. Thanks knolan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    How much did that all cost? This looks amazing but I think most people would have found it way out of their price range.
    It was spendy, but worth it IMO because it kept me from selling the knife. I can't stand shelf queens. Email Bower Bladeworks for a quote if you are interested in having one done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylems11 View Post
    That looks sick. I always wanted a southard but the blade is too big. I wish sal would come up with a mini southard with a 3 inch blade. I think it would be very popular.
    I thought I heard a rumor somewhere that there is talk with Brad Southard about doing another collaboration with a smaller knife. I sure hope so because he is one of the best in the business. Southard and Sal are the dream team!

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloWeave View Post
    Thank you senorsquare, nice seeing you around the forums and IG.
    What's your IG username?

Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    What's your IG username?
    Same one as here... VeloWeave and also on the USN

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Gorgeous, I especially like the straight spine. The hump thing on the spine is probably my least favorite thing about this knife.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Very much work done here, and it's great work. Congrats!
    A 3" Southard would be welcome in my corner.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Cooooolest mix I've seen for a long time
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up Best Southard!

Hi Folks!

Saw another 'Mini' Southard almost identical at the EDC Forums.

Plain and Simple: The BEST Southard Ever!
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Fabulous mod!!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Gorgeous, I especially like the straight spine. The hump thing on the spine is probably my least favorite thing about this knife.
    The spine actually swoops down ever so slightly after the spydie hole and then makes its way back up and then drops off toward the tip. Thanks Evil D
    Quote Originally Posted by gull wing View Post
    Very much work done here, and it's great work. Congrats!
    A 3" Southard would be welcome in my corner.
    True that!
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    Cooooolest mix I've seen for a long time
    Thanks man!
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Kid View Post
    Hi Folks!

Saw another 'Mini' Southard almost identical at the EDC Forums.

Plain and Simple: The BEST Southard Ever!
    Thanks LC Kid. He is making them all original so each one will have a slight, or maybe not so slight variation. Right now there are 5 in existence and he's working on another 5 in the shop right now. You can follow along on his Instagram feed if you're curious. Instagram.com/bowerbladeworks
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Fabulous mod!!
    Thanks RadioactiveSpyder