Thread: scratchy edge/sharpening?!?!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

scratchy edge/sharpening?!?!

I know the general rules of how to sharpen a knife but don't know the signs of when I'm doing something wrong and how to correct myself. I'm using a spyderco double stuff stone (only thing I can afford) on a vg-10 dragonfly and am getting a scratchy edge and would like some tips and pointers.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    What do you mean by scratchy and what are you expecting to get?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

After sharpening it does not have the same look as the factory edge and is very scratched up. Unfortunately as of right now I cannot upload any photos.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb33son View Post
    I'm using a spyderco double stuff stone (only thing I can afford)
    Wet/dry sandpaper and a reasonably flat surface will get you sharpening a plain edge blade as well as anything else and surprisingly cheaply... just FYI.

Are you drawing the blade edge down as you stroke (not up)? You need to be dragging the blade forward (edge first, like you were trying to cut the stone) otherwise you can build up a "wire" edge. Sometimes this wire edge is incomplete and looks/feels ragged. It's a common "mistake" (some people deliberately seek out a wire edge, then polish it away -- whatever works for you, hence the quotes) so I mention it first.

My next guess would be not enough strokes with the fine stone or wrong angle for the fine stone passes. Is it scratchy because the very edge of the blade has only been touched by the medium stone?
    All God's critters have knives.

I start at the base of the edge at about 25 and act as though I am cutting a very thin layer from the stone in an arcing motion. It still had a decent factory edge on it so I just touched it up with the fine side. The scratches are on the full length of the bevel but they are spaced and reflect light in different ways that wire edge is not there, that would indicate too much pressure as I learned to use very slight pressure.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb33son View Post
    I start at the base of the edge at about 25 and act as though I am cutting a very thin layer from the stone in an arcing motion. It still had a decent factory edge on it so I just touched it up with the fine side. The scratches are on the full length of the bevel but they are spaced and reflect light in different ways that wire edge is not there, that would indicate too much pressure as I learned to use very slight pressure.
    I'm having a problem picturing what you are doing without pictures of the edge. There are lots of videos on youtube to watch. I even made one. In my mind the one I put up is for beginners. It is a very basic method with only a couple of things to remember on how to hold the knife and how to move your hands. The method in this video is not the be all, end all of sharpening technique at all but it is a good place to start IMO. After getting used to this you can change anything you want depending on what you come up with or what you see in another video or what a friend shows you or explanations on a forum, etc. If or when you can provide pictures that would help others give advice. Check out this video if you want. It may help. Good luck.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=Q7nvng0GHcI

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).