Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintence for a Super Blue blade ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar

Maintence for a Super Blue blade ?

I have a Sprint run Super Blue Endura 4 on the way and I'm pretty excited . I've never owned a Super Blue blade before and from what I've read they need more care to prevent corrosion . I normally treat and maintain all my blades with Frog Lube . Is that a good idea for this type of steel ? If not what are you guys and gals using ?
    Thanks in advance !

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I Frog Lube my Super Blue and ZDP blades. My SB Caly 3 almost immediately acquired a very large and deep pit. I was holding off lubing it because I hoped to force a patina with vinegar or potato. I probably did not clean it after some food prep and let it sit..... Anyway about mid blade there is a big crater. No problems have shown up in the last year but attention to cleanliness probably plays the biggest role. Most of your Endura's blade is coated with a soft stainless so it is much more protected than the SB Caly.

I FLube the internals of any knife or firearm I disassemble. It seems to work into the micro pores, unwanted bits cant find a perch and wipe off easily.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    I treat this stuff as I would vg-10. Simply make sure it's clean and dry before you put it up. The ever evolving patina is quite pleasing
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Quote Originally Posted by landromus View Post
    I Frog Lube my Super Blue and ZDP blades. My SB Caly 3 almost immediately acquired a very large and deep pit. I was holding off lubing it because I hoped to force a patina with vinegar or potato. I probably did not clean it after some food prep and let it sit..... Anyway about mid blade there is a big crater. No problems have shown up in the last year but attention to cleanliness probably plays the biggest role. Most of your Endura's blade is coated with a soft stainless so it is much more protected than the SB Caly.
    on this one to .

I FLube the internals of any knife or firearm I disassemble. It seems to work into the micro pores, unwanted bits cant find a perch and wipe off easily.
    Thanks that's great info and will be very helpful ! I'll continue to use Froglube . I also use it on all my firearms and other knives and just love FL !

Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    I treat this stuff as I would vg-10. Simply make sure it's clean and dry before you put it up. The ever evolving patina is quite pleasing
    That's what I'm looking for is I don't want to loose the patina but don't want it to get nasty either .
    Just want that fine balance .

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sparki's Avatar
    I gave my delica a patina by cutting a rare steak, then have been using tuf-glide and the cloth to keep it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparki View Post
    I gave my delica a patina by cutting a rare steak, then have been using tuf-glide and the cloth to keep it clean.
    That's a great idea to . Do have any pictures of its current patina ?

I can upload one later.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I live in the tropics directly in front of the Pacific Ocean. Before lubing my caly 3.5 at all I used it on food and fruit so a nice dark patina formed almost immediately. Since then I hit it with a little wd-40 and use it for everything and I have had zero rust issue. I do wash and dry it after I use it. I think the two worst things would be leaving corrosive material on the blade or leaving it for a long time unused. I have a bm in 154cm that sat unused in a drawer for a year and now it's covered with small rust spots. The caly gets used regularly and it's fine. Go figure.

I can upload one later.
    Cool thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    I live in the tropics directly in front of the Pacific Ocean. Before lubing my caly 3.5 at all I used it on food and fruit so a nice dark patina formed almost immediately. Since then I hit it with a little wd-40 and use it for everything and I have had zero rust issue. I do wash and dry it after I use it. I think the two worst things would be leaving corrosive material on the blade or leaving it for a long time unused. I have a bm in 154cm that sat unused in a drawer for a year and now it's covered with small rust spots. The caly gets used regularly and it's fine. Go figure.
    Great info thanks , maybe I'll cut some apples and strawberries When I get it . Sounds like just the patina I'm looking for .I always clean my knives after using them for any food preparations so that should work out great . Really looking forward for this one to arrive .

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    Not too much to add, I have a bunch of carbon steel blades and love letting them patina. Just keep them clean and dry when not in use and all should be well. Mineral oil is my go to for storage or if I'm out camping and things may be damp/humid for an extended period.

I kept my Caly 3.5 SB pristine for the first couple of months, but was grilling out over the weekend and finally let it stain. It can be difficult to get a good pic of the colors that come out when a patina starts to form. This one came out pretty good without too much doctoring:

The other side just has a small blotch near the tip, weird...
    -Nate

Persistence, UKPK, Forum Native, South Fork, Cruwear Millitary, SB Stretch, SB Caly 3.5, UKPK,
    Chaparral, 3 Para2's, Lefty Military, K390 Mule, Caly Jr.

Thanks sparki ! Beautiful blade !!

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
    Not too much to add, I have a bunch of carbon steel blades and love letting them patina. Just keep them clean and dry when not in use and all should be well. Mineral oil is my go to for storage or if I'm out camping and things may be damp/humid for an extended period.

I kept my Caly 3.5 SB pristine for the first couple of months, but was grilling out over the weekend and finally let it stain. It can be difficult to get a good pic of the colors that come out when a patina starts to form. This one came out pretty good without too much doctoring:

The other side just has a small blotch near the tip, weird...
    Sweet Patina I like it !

Well my Super Blue Endura 4 just showed up tonight and I love it !!
    Big thanks to National Knives for there super fast shipping and packaging . Great company and it was a pleasure doing business with them . Most importantly thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions for the care of a Super Blue blade

Thought I'd share a pic of my new SB Endura 4 before I frog Lube it .

Spyderco Forum Registered User flash900's Avatar
    Fyi --

"Can I use my TUF-CLOTH treated knife to cut food?
    TUF-CLOTH's dry bonded protection is non-toxic. The
    bonding reduces any transfer to food items cut. If you plan
    to cut food with a TUF-CLOTH treated blade, we suggest that
    you wash or wipe the blade first, and then reapply when
    convenient."

Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Same maintenance as all my knives clean and dry and some lube to protect the blade, tuf-glide or EDCi
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User Halfneck's Avatar
    I like the phrase "Living steel" to describe how carbon steels develop a patina with use.
    "A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich