Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Uganda in July, What Spyderco(s) should I bring?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Going to Uganda in July, What Spyderco(s) should I bring?

I lived in South Africa for two years and came back to the United States. While I was there I carried a Spyderco Delica. I love that knife, but I am not bringing it to Africa this time for fear of loosing it.

Plus Uganda is a bit different than South Africa. I feel this is the perfect excuse to buy a new knife.

I own: Paramilitary 2, Manix 2 FFG, Tasmin Salt, Delica, Emerson Delica, Endura FFG

What do you recommend?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    What are their knife laws like? Not that you should follow them, but what can you get into the country? Would the knife be for outdoor chores? EDC? Self-defense? Are you bringing sharpening equipment?
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    What are their knife laws like? Not that you should follow them, but what can you get into the country? Would the knife be for outdoor chores? EDC? Self-defense? Are you bringing sharpening equipment?
    I have no idea what their knife laws are like and I honestly don't care that much. I assume that I can get just about anything into the country as long as no one at any airport steals anything.

I suppose I should have specified that I am really only looking at folders. EDC, with a secondary defense role.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye180 View Post
    I have no idea what their knife laws are like and I honestly don't care that much. I assume that I can get just about anything into the country as long as no one at any airport steals anything.

I suppose I should have specified that I am really only looking at folders. EDC, with a secondary defense role.
    Well, a para 2 should fit those roles nicely. Also, if you can get your hands on a green one you may not have to bring sharpening equipment. I can also recommend a military, or a manix 2. Even a manix 2 xl. For what you described, you can't really go wrong with any of those.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    If I was going across the world like that I probably wouldn't bring something as expensive as a Para 2 for fear of losing it...a couple value folders and a pocket sharpening stone is probably the route I'd take personally, though I've never travelled that far before. I brought my Chaparral with me when I did a road trip into the US this last summer because it's small, carries extremely lightly and discreetly, and it's sheeple friendly to boot. I wasn't exactly trekking through the jungle though (Half day off roading excursion in Oregon aside).
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Normal S30V Para 2. Not too expensive and easy to replace. I'd bring a double stuff sharpening stone as well (not just for the Para)

Whilst I haven't been to Uganda, I've been to Ghana, Kenya and Zambia in the last 6 months. The most likely place that your luggage is going to get broken into is in Johannesburg (presumably you are routing through South Africa). Doing the plastic wrap thing will probably dissuade most of the thieves and they will go for an easier target. Also bear in mind they are stealing branded clothing and sneakers before your knives.

That said, if it is a short stay (say less than 2 weeks), I'd take two Delicas / Centofante 3s / Natives (essentially an FRN knife that suits you with one spare) if you were wanting to take Spydercos - they are to all intents and purposes disposable and when you leave, giving them to someone you worked with will be great. A knife is a self defence situation in a strange country is, I think, possibly going to make your situation worse if the cops get involved. I wouldn't have SD on the criteria list but that's just me.

Longer stay ..... take some more toys to keep you amused. I've often travelled with 6 folders in my check in luggage on international flights with no drama.

Not a Spyderco, but if I travel with check in luggage, there is always a SAK Pioneer or Climber in the suitcase.
    Last edited by PSquared; 05-04-2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added options of Cento and Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    I would say any current production FRN spydie (that includes the Manix LW S110V !) and a SAK, plus something like a DMT diafold for touch ups. FRN because it does not look expensive or valuable.

PS: I have never lost any luggage while flying. If you are concerned you can always cable lock your spydercos through the spydiehole to the inside frame of your luggage.
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Manix 2 (LW S110V, M4, Cruwear), Gayle Bradley, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Forum Native 5, Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    As much as I love the Tasman, you'd probably be better off with the Military.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Spyderco Forum Registered User vaisforlovers's Avatar
    Depending on your size preference, I'd suggest either a SE Pacific or a SE Salt. It would likely not require a sharpening while you're there, meaning little need to carry sharpening stones, etc. And at its price point, I'd be more inclined to mildly abuse it over something more expensive.
    "The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill

Endura, and a back up Endura. Those annoying cable locks that they give you with a new hand gun? Well they fit right through your spyder hole and then lock to the inside of your suitcase. Without cable cutters, your knives are safe from theives

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I've had good luck hiding my knives in a little pouch, which I hide under the inner lining of the suitcase. Usually, I put them in the little hollow space between the two handles. If you secure the pouch with some double-sided tape or contact glue, they would be secure and almost undetectable except by xray. If anyone got into your suitcase, they would have to dig all the way to the bottom, find the hidden pouch, probably rip up the lining, then stuff everything back in and zip it up. Too much work - and they'll find easier targets...

TedP
    Worry less - Breathe more...

My trusted companion, a Spyderco Solo SoO1PS, black micarta, Peter Atwood Lanslide, capped off with a diamond knot.
    Spydie Fanatic #185

Box-O-Tenacious.
    All God's critters have knives.

Get a P'Kal.Good edc, perfect self defense.Or get a Para2 in S30V.Perfect edc, good self defense.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Salt 1 serrated and Delica VG10. Maybe the Pac Salt if I can.

Salt 1 I find is seriously the perfect knife to take for extended periods overseas. Very thin n lite, strong, easy to maintain, and small enough to carry clipless in pocket, not too pricey. All these make for a solid dependable option when going abroad.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

I'm off for Bali for a month stay. Leaving in a couple of weeks and I've been debating the same thing. I will bring two knives. Don't want to bring anything too expensive. At least one will be a salt. I am thinking salt 1 and yojimbo 2. Maybe se pacific salt instead of salt 1. I would like a se knife but I don't have the salt 1 in se. Only PAC salt and tasman. We will see.

So yeah, I recommend a salt knife and another not so expensive knife of a different size/blade shape.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Salt 1 and a doublestuff.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Thank you all for your recommendations. I am seriously considering a ZDP-189 Stretch and a Salt 1. Other options that are at the forefront include the Spyderco Military in all black, the Endura in grey FRN scales, or a different Delica.

Someone mentioned a Salt 1 serrated. Why do you think the serrated blade has to offer? I don't have much experience with them.

Thank you all for your recommendations. I am seriously considering a ZDP-189 Stretch and a Salt 1. Other options that are at the forefront include the Spyderco Military in all black, the Endura in grey FRN scales, or a different Delica.

Someone mentioned a Salt 1 serrated. Why do you think the serrated blade has to offer? I don't have much experience with them.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    What ever you decide, do not carry it clipped, deep pocket carry is my recommendation. Drawing unwanted attention in another country is not something I would recommend. I found the Penal Code Act of Uganda through a simple google search about knife laws as well as a few court cases.
    "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/