Thread: Pics don't do these knives justice

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Pics don't do these knives justice

Unfortunately there aren't many Spyderco dealers near me. I pretty much rely on pics and reviews for my next purchase. Many knives either click with me or not when I see the pics. I'm wondering now how many I would actually like if I got to see them in person.

I'm sharing this now as I just held a fluted titanium Native 5...wow, what a knife! Pics online look great but really never spoke to me. It seemed pricey and never really seemed worth it. Seeing this thing in the flesh is a game changer! handles are beautiful and provide some really nice grip. I guess my point of this thread is to see how many others feel this way.

In a way it may be a good thing there are limited dealers around me, I'd be broke if there were more!

You fellas near Golden are lucky!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    The Vallotton is just incredible. Was even better than it looked. And I cant even describe the action......sooooo smooooth.....
    ....and Ill say the Manix 2 XL is impossible not to like. That was a very pleasant surprise.
    But, if I could only keep one it would undoubtedly be the Vallotton. -Taichung perfection.
    Vallotton, Caly3.5,Manix 2 XL (gifted to bro),Military Camo/DLC,Domino Blue,Manix 2 XL CF S90v, Manix 2 S110V, Mule Team#19 K390,Manix 2 XL DLC,Rock Lobster
    SpyderNation #31

Quote Originally Posted by MacLaren View Post
    The Vallotton is just incredible. Was even better than it looked. And I cant even describe the action......sooooo smooooth.....
    ....and Ill say the Manix 2 XL is impossible not to like. That was a very pleasant surprise.
    But, if I could only keep one it would undoubtedly be the Vallotton. -Taichung perfection.
    You need a Gayle Bradley. Just sayin, I have never held one I didn't like. I even returned a techno because I didn't fall in love right away but I have another on its way I can't stop thinking about it.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swigert View Post
    You need a Gayle Bradley. Just sayin, I have never held one I didn't like. I even returned a techno because I didn't fall in love right away but I have another on its way I can't stop thinking about it.
    Yeah, I agree. Excluding sprints and exclusives, easily Spyderco's best knife. Probably even better than most sprints and exclusives too
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Excluding sprints and exclusives, easily Spyderco's best knife. Probably even better than most sprints and exclusives too
    I agree. Perfect fit and finish and quality of materials for the price is unreal.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

^
    I just PM'd you, MacLaren. I think that the Manix 2 XL was a good choice. And I hope that you don't drive a Mercedes.

Spyderco Forum Registered User timlara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS View Post
    Yes, but there's also the downside that it's REALLY hard to visit the factory outlet store and leave empty handed! No such thing as "just looking". They know once they take something out of the display case, they've got you! Sometimes I wish I didn't have the temptation.

I think Sal has said before that Spydercos are "designed in the dark". I absolutely agree that the tactile aspects such as the ergonomics, balance, and quality of materials make all the difference. I can thumb through the catalog and typically spot 2 or 3 models that immediately grab my interest, but when I'm in the store, I always notice something new that I had somehow missed.

Gale Bradley it is then. It'll be neat to compare the polished G10 of the Vallotton to the carbon fiber of the Bradley. As well as the s30v/m4. That Bradley must be pretty slick.
    Vallotton, Caly3.5,Manix 2 XL (gifted to bro),Military Camo/DLC,Domino Blue,Manix 2 XL CF S90v, Manix 2 S110V, Mule Team#19 K390,Manix 2 XL DLC,Rock Lobster
    SpyderNation #31

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLaren View Post
    Gale Bradley it is then. It'll be neat to compare the polished G10 of the Vallotton to the carbon fiber of the Bradley. As well as the s30v/m4. That Bradley must be pretty slick.
    Yeah, normally I would recommend doing your own research and finding a knife that you think you'll like best, but the Gayle Bradley is the one knife I feel completely safe recommending that someone buy immediately.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    This.
    DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar
    ive been disappointed with spydies in person that i liked in pictures, the lightweight manix being the biggest visual to tactile letdown ive had. Also the lightweight olive drab goddard sprint, and ukpk frn. I suppose weight has the most to do with it, as it turns out i dont like light knives. The sage 3 and techno were both a pleasant surprise when handled. The problem i find when in a bricks and mortar store is that you start comparing knives in a way you dont when they are isolated on the internet. The "star factor" or "fame" of a knife is superseded by sheer instinct upon handling, and the hype surrounding a knife falls away leaving only personal judgement. In fact im pretty sure the hype is more interesting than the knives for me, i honestly visit this forum to hear great things about tools that im pretty meh about when theres a store full of them, especially when there are other brands to compare to. Online ordering is part of the knife addiction, because it doesnt allow for any real time comparisons, plus the magic fuzzy feeling of the knife you received being specially allotted for you.
    This is my experience, ymmv and probably does.
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User v8r's Avatar
    For me it was the Kris. I thought it was one ugly knife. That all changed when I was on vacation and found a knife shop in the town we were staying in. They had a massive selection of Spyderco knives in the case. I saw a Kris in the case, and asked to see it out of curiosity. Once I had it in hand it clicked with me. It truly is a knife that can't be appreciated until held in hand. By far one of my favorite knives ever. It will never be sold.
    V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddarnut View Post
    ive been disappointed with spydies in person that i liked in pictures, the lightweight manix being the biggest visual to tactile letdown ive had. Also the lightweight olive drab goddard sprint, and ukpk frn. I suppose weight has the most to do with it, as it turns out i dont like light knives. The sage 3 and techno were both a pleasant surprise when handled. The problem i find when in a bricks and mortar store is that you start comparing knives in a way you dont when they are isolated on the internet. The "star factor" or "fame" of a knife is superseded by sheer instinct upon handling, and the hype surrounding a knife falls away leaving only personal judgement. In fact im pretty sure the hype is more interesting than the knives for me, i honestly visit this forum to hear great things about tools that im pretty meh about when theres a store full of them, especially when there are other brands to compare to. Online ordering is part of the knife addiction, because it doesnt allow for any real time comparisons, plus the magic fuzzy feeling of the knife you received being specially allotted for you.
    This is my experience, ymmv and probably does.
    Filters really enhance the visual aspect of a image and therefore an object such as a knife is best examined by the naked eye.

The Vallotton is a knife that you really need to get a hold of. Pics don't do it justice IMO. The Bradley puts me in mind of the Vallotton with its hollow grind blade.
    SpyderNation #31

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS View Post
    Unfortunately there aren't many Spyderco dealers near me. I pretty much rely on pics and reviews for my next purchase. Many knives either click with me or not when I see the pics. I'm wondering now how many I would actually like if I got to see them in person.

I'm sharing this now as I just held a fluted titanium Native 5...wow, what a knife! Pics online look great but really never spoke to me. It seemed pricey and never really seemed worth it. Seeing this thing in the flesh is a game changer! handles are beautiful and provide some really nice grip. I guess my point of this thread is to see how many others feel this way.

In a way it may be a good thing there are limited dealers around me, I'd be broke if there were more!

I agree the fluted Ti Native looks nice -- I have three of them now (and three fluted Ti Milies) you get used to hunting for the hard-to-find, then once you get one, it's hard to pass it up when another opportunity comes up.

It is probably a good thing I haven't held a Vallotton yet, or I'd probably not be able to resist it. I'll probably get one somewhere down the road.

If I lived near Golden, I would just have to set up my paycheck for direct deposit into their account every payday .
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)