Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    At least once a week, I'll do a self-pat down while I'm on the phone with someone. Every time, when I check my left front pocket and my phone isn't there I'll wonder where it is for approximately 2 seconds.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    I do the self-pat several times a day. Not all crazy like a 3rd base coach, but i nudge all my pocket trash to make sure it is all there
    This gave me a good chuckle thanks.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    When I got home last night (before reading this thread) I reached for my new dark blue Manix2 s110v and it was GONE! GAK! I looked all over the house and car -- maybe I forgot to take it. No dice. Maybe I lost it in the yard and then forgot to take any knife -- Never. I always take a knife -- too many coincidences. The last place we had stopped was a loud, raucous Mexican restaurant, celebrating Cinco de Mayo with much singing and alcohol. Maybe it had slipped out in the booth. Our waiter was a young kid who once "accidentally" gave me change for a ten instead of a twenty. I figured my odds of getting it back were next to nil, but I decided to offer a $25 reward and give it a try, right then -- in person -- it's too easy to say "no" over the phone.

As I started for the car, I remembered that I had checked the mailbox at the head of the driveway as we pulled in!! I walked back up the driveway to the mailbox and there it was!!! *phew* It had fallen out of my left pocket onto the seat and been knocked off onto the ground as I got out.

The the top of car seat is just 18 inches above ground level, with my knees sticking up, creating a downward slant for the knife to easily slide out if loose. And I was wearing a pair of ultra thin, slick nylon Magellan pants that I had not worn since I started carrying clipped knives a year ago. Also, they have patch pockets which don't hang down inside, which would have prevented the slide-out. Nevertheless, I think I must have jammed the knife in with one hand, the way I do with my thick cargo pants, causing the thin fabric to bunch up and not be well clipped.

I went straight and took off the clip and replaced it with a deeper-carry clip off of my Caly 3. Clearly it wasn't the clip's fault, but I just wanted some more insurance. I had tried the Caly clip earlier and decided against it because it contacted the first row of bidirectional bumps outside the smooth bug circle about 1/16th inch and was a tiny bit too grippy-shreddy on my pocket. But now I much prefer this to a possible slip-out when wearing super thin, slick summer pants with your pockets upside down
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

^
    I'm happy to hear that you found it, DougC-3. Your story also reminded me of the issue of pickpocketing (the bit about crowds), especially while traveling as a tourist in foreign countries. I image that a Manix 2 S110V would be quite a "trophy", so please keep this in mind while you are drinking tequila amongst raucous crowds.

In Roma Italy pickpockets will actually slash your clothing (such as a backpack) with A KNIFE in order to steal your valuables. Oh, THE IRONY.

Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    ^
    I'm happy to hear that you found it, DougC-3. Your story also reminded me of the issue of pickpocketing (the bit about crowds), especially while traveling as a tourist in foreign countries. I image that a Manix 2 S110V would be quite a "trophy", so please keep this in mind while you are drinking tequila amongst raucous crowds.
    Thanks, Horser. Actually this is more of a family type restaurant than I indicated, the people who run it are good, and the food is fabulous. I think it was mostly just a few of the "gringos del norte" who were caught up in the celebrations that made it seem raucous. With all the noise and confusion, I just figured the next patron who got that booth might not think to turn it in

I felt terrible when I thought it was gone. The only other knife I ever lost was in my pre-clip days, a Tree Brand which also slid out of my pocket. But that time I was lying on my back at the end of a very long pier, and it fell through a crack into the bay

Yes, hopefully I did not come across as "profiling", security while in a crowd is something that it is good to be aware of nonetheless. And the name is " HorseloverFat" , there is no "r" after "Horse". I made a mistake in the entry...

Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    Yes, hopefully I did not come across as "profiling", security while in a crowd is something that it is good to be aware of nonetheless. And the name is " HorseloverFat" , there is no "r" after "Horse". I made a mistake in the entry...
    No, it's good advice I'm sure, and it would be ironic to have a knife used to extricate a camera or lens from a pack. I hear that this can be done in a crowd without your even noticing it. In the US women sometimes have their purse straps cut by purse snatchers, and a very large man I know had his wristwatch grabbed from his wrist in a South American country.

So... I guess we could call you Horse or HLF... around here you'd no doubt be Hoss, pronounced Hawse