Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    I snagged the clip of my Ti-Millie on a plastic garbage bag when I went to throw it in the dumpster, it caught on the bag and pulled out of my pocket and landed in the rocks next to the dumpster. I did not notice it was gone for about an hour or so. I went to put my hand on it as I'm prone to do and it was gone...I retraced my every step until I found it there at the base of the dumpster amidst the rocks and snow. I'm real careful now about snagging, this has happened on a few occasions.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I've used carry clips for about 20 years and experience has proven that they are mostly reliable.

I had a problem one time with a clip that bent and was not tight enough- the knife came out of my pocket when I sat down. This was about 16 years ago and I haven't had that problem again. I think clips on modern knives are tighter than the clips I had back then.

I have a light jacket with a cord each side that can tighten the bottom of the jacket. For some reason I've had a problem with that cord catching on my knife clips and wanting to pull the knives out of my pocket. This has only happened with this particular jacket but it points out that it can happen under certain circumstances.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    I always tap/place hand on my pocket randomly during the day, force of habit.
    Same here, even more so out in public, and especially if I've been sitting.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Plus 2. I also always panic a bit when I do that and I'm not carrying a knife.
    Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they've found it.

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I do check for clips regularly.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Plus 2. I also always panic a bit when I do that and I'm not carrying a knife.
    I really hate that feeling lol.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    That's one of the first things I check getting into and out of cars, seats, etc. Reach down and tap quickly to know it's still there, as I pull it out sometimes and sit it on my lap while doing some work and occasionally leave it there, only to notice as I stand up and it starts to fall. Always carry clipped as it's quicker to access and keeps it out of the regular pocket clutter in cargo shorts/jeans.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bdblue View Post
    I've used carry clips for about 20 years and experience has proven that they are mostly reliable.

I had a problem one time with a clip that bent and was not tight enough- the knife came out of my pocket when I sat down. This was about 16 years ago and I haven't had that problem again. I think clips on modern knives are tighter than the clips I had back then.

I have a light jacket with a cord each side that can tighten the bottom of the jacket. For some reason I've had a problem with that cord catching on my knife clips and wanting to pull the knives out of my pocket. This has only happened with this particular jacket but it points out that it can happen under certain circumstances.
    I also own a jacket (soft shell) with a cord that can be cinched at the bottom. I will keep this in mind while I'm wearing it.

I do check regularly, but since my average day involves making at least one parachute jump with my knife clipped to an exterior pocket, I've developed a bit of a callous attitude. I figure once I've decided a knife is a "user" that involves some chance of loss in the process of "use". I've made jumps with a k390 mule, an M4 Manix and a couple other limited production knives. I'm still not willing to take my Smoke Creek along, though--I just love it too much.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    My personal rule of thumb is to never carry and use a knife I can' t afford to lose or damage. second, IWB carry is very secure. I maybe had an issue of snagging the clip maybe two or three times in the past ten+ years, and I never lost any knife.

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    I do check regularly, but since my average day involves making at least one parachute jump with my knife clipped to an exterior pocket, I've developed a bit of a callous attitude. I figure once I've decided a knife is a "user" that involves some chance of loss in the process of "use". I've made jumps with a k390 mule, an M4 Manix and a couple other limited production knives. I'm still not willing to take my Smoke Creek along, though--I just love it too much.
    ^^ this! I tend to view my salts this way. Though I'm I guess I'm not as callous as I thought because I lost my pacific salt while fishing and it really bummed me out.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    I carry clipped in my right back pocket. I also nearly exclusively wear cargo pants or shorts with flaps over the back pockets. The combination makes it virtually impossible that my knife could get away without me knowing about it. I don't wear the cargo pants and shorts exclusively specifically to keep my knife from getting lost (that's just an added bonus). I just prefer them to denim.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Good point. I usually carry iwb so it's more obvious if the knife moves but, like you, I also have the habit of checking my knife often. I do the same thing when I'm hunting. I habitually check the safety on my gun. It may be a bit OCD but I haven't shot anyone yet. I say keep checking!

This is my safety sir.

Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    I always tap/place hand on my pocket randomly during the day, force of habit.
    I've had a few snags that taught me to be mindful of what I rub against whilst walking. I scratched my last car accidentally as well which really woke me up. But I find the above tip of tapping your pocket throughout the day to be the best advice. Anytime I get up to leave an area I do a quick pat down. It's second nature now. I tap for keys, wallet, light, knives and phone. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Last edited by Liquid Cobra; 05-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!!, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Lava, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Domino CTS-204P, Bob Lum Tanto Folder Black on Black, Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 204P
    Grail: A.T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmitty View Post
    I carry clipped in my right back pocket. I also nearly exclusively wear cargo pants or shorts with flaps over the back pockets. The combination makes it virtually impossible that my knife could get away without me knowing about it. I don't wear the cargo pants and shorts exclusively specifically to keep my knife from getting lost (that's just an added bonus). I just prefer them to denim.
    I'm curious as to which percentage (roughly) of knives are carried in the back pocket instead of the front...

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    It is a habit I do ritualistically. I also do this for my wallet and pen. Before I quit smoking, that was part of the self pat down too!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    When I do things outdoors or where I climb in and out of cars ( used to be a cop loooong ago) I either will lanyard, or if the situation permits will use a belt pouch. Maybe both if I expect to be upside down or climbing stuff.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    It is a habit I do ritualistically. I also do this for my wallet and pen. Before I quit smoking, that was part of the self pat down too!
    I do it for pretty much all my EDC gear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    When I do things outdoors or where I climb in and out of cars ( used to be a cop loooong ago) I either will lanyard, or if the situation permits will use a belt pouch. Maybe both if I expect to be upside down or climbing stuff.
    Did you leave the force to become a gymnast??

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fred S's Avatar
    I do the self-pat several times a day. Not all crazy like a 3rd base coach, but i nudge all my pocket trash to make sure it is all there
    Experience is something you get right after you need it

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I am a bit ocd as well. every time i standup or just randomly i make sure i have my phone, wallet, keys, and knife
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer