Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Hybrid View

Spyderco Forum Registered User

I'm afraid that I'm gonna loose it! Anybody else?

Not my mind! (LOL.) My Manix 2 (G-10) ! Seriously : I was climbing in and out of rental trucks while helping some friends move yesterday, so I was worried that my knife would fall out of my pocket. I found myself periodically (and neurotically) checking that it was still there by placing my hand upon my pocket. I know that the clip is fairly secure while attached to the pocket, but the knife could still become caught upon something such as a seatbelt and fall out - unbeknownst to me. I'm thinking about attaching a lanyard to my knife and securing the bitter end to my belt loop during strenuous activity such has hiking and scrambling.

Anyone else here suffer from OCD regarding loosening a knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Uke's Avatar
    Found myself having similar concerns about losing my sprint runs so you're not alone! I got the needle and thread out and sewed little strips inside all my trouser pockets. I just pocket clip my Spydies to these bits of material instead which keeps the clip hidden and protected from snags about an inch below the lip of the pocket, if that makes any sense?
    Last edited by Uke; 05-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Still no name change? So have you learned to love the horse again and also come to terms with your weight?

Just kidding of course........I think you should keep it .........it is unique, and no one will forget it. Cheers!

On the topic of losing a knife......I've also had the same concerns. The lanyard idea is one that I've also thought of and would be easy to implement. I was thinking of a simple loop of paracord through the lanyard hole and then a loop behind and pull through behind a belt loop so that you could pull the knife out of your pocket and use it near your body with the knife being hooked to a belt loop and then if you need to use it further away it would be very quick and easy to pull it through the slip loop and disentangle it from your belt loop.

This would provide some extra reassurance during strenuous activity and if the knife did fall out of your pocket it would be easy to feel it hitting the outside of your leg still attached to your belt loop - rather than being left behind in some field.

Or you could just not use the clip and put the thing in your pocket. When's the last time something fell out of your front pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Or you could just not use the clip and put the thing in your pocket. When's the last time something fell out of your front pocket?
    Quite often, especially my cell phone if I elevate my legs by way of an ottoman or recliner. It really depends on the pockets in the shorts or jeans that I happen to be wearing at the time. I need to buy a few more pairs of shorts with cargo pockets that fasten.

Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    Quite often, especially my cell phone if I elevate my legs by way of an ottoman or recliner. It really depends on the pockets in the shorts or jeans that I happen to be wearing at the time. I need to buy a few more pairs of shorts with cargo pockets that fasten.
    Good point. I usually carry iwb so it's more obvious if the knife moves but, like you, I also have the habit of checking my knife often. I do the same thing when I'm hunting. I habitually check the safety on my gun. It may be a bit OCD but I haven't shot anyone yet. I say keep checking!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Good point. I usually carry iwb so it's more obvious if the knife moves but, like you, I also have the habit of checking my knife often. I do the same thing when I'm hunting. I habitually check the safety on my gun. It may be a bit OCD but I haven't shot anyone yet. I say keep checking!

This is my safety sir.

Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    I always tap/place hand on my pocket randomly during the day, force of habit.
    I've had a few snags that taught me to be mindful of what I rub against whilst walking. I scratched my last car accidentally as well which really woke me up. But I find the above tip of tapping your pocket throughout the day to be the best advice. Anytime I get up to leave an area I do a quick pat down. It's second nature now. I tap for keys, wallet, light, knives and phone. Hasn't failed me yet.
    Last edited by Liquid Cobra; 05-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I avoid having to worry about that by carrying my knives loose in my back pocket. Been doing it that way pretty much every day for over sixty years now and have yet to lose one. I can't see any advantage to clipped carry, certainly none that outweighs the potential for snagging the clip on something and damaging or losing the knife, damaging my clothing, and/or damaging the item upon which the clip snagged.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I avoid having to worry about that by carrying my knives loose in my back pocket. Been doing it that way pretty much every day for over sixty years now and have yet to lose one. I can't see any advantage to clipped carry, certainly none that outweighs the potential for snagging the clip on something and damaging or losing the knife, damaging my clothing, and/or damaging the item upon which the clip snagged.
    I would say it depends on the purpose for what method you use to carry them.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I concur except for those of us who wear scrubs or other clothing with loose open pockets ( or non-existent ).

Clips can also it may be easier to index/find/retrieve the knife in certain situations.

Thankful that the clips are removable all the same.
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Also, IIRC, seems like Chuck had a really secure way of carrying his Millies that involved carabiners and lanyards/rope.
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    Same here, even more so out in public, and especially if I've been sitting.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Plus 2. I also always panic a bit when I do that and I'm not carrying a knife.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Plus 2. I also always panic a bit when I do that and I'm not carrying a knife.
    I really hate that feeling lol.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    It is a habit I do ritualistically. I also do this for my wallet and pen. Before I quit smoking, that was part of the self pat down too!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    It is a habit I do ritualistically. I also do this for my wallet and pen. Before I quit smoking, that was part of the self pat down too!
    I do it for pretty much all my EDC gear.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    At .6 oz a Ladybug FRN is pretty easy to misplace. At almost 5oz I would think a Manix2 would be apparent if it went missing. You could always double-clip with a TEC P7 suspension clip.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    I don't have any concerns for my knives, as the clips are impressive in strength. My flashlight however, well, the clip isn't very good and catches on things a lot, so I am constantly making sure it is still there.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved