Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H1 Steel Lovers

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

H1 Steel Lovers

I enjoy all Spyderco knives, even the ones I do not own. But, while I like the different steels, H1 Stainless Steel is my favorite. Just out of curiousity, who else here is an "H1er", ie, you like and love all Spyders but H1 is your favorite steel, or among your favorites? I do like VG-10, too.

Please bring back the Caspian Salt =)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I had a salt kick for about a month, but it died off. I like H1, very cool steel, but FAR from my favourite
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't had rust issues with any of the stainless steels I've come across. Is there some other draw to H1?

I want some low end Spydies in a regular carbon steel. There's just something cool about old pocket knives that have patina'd over decades of use.
    All God's critters have knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but I haven't had rust issues with any of the stainless steels I've come across. Is there some other draw to H1?

I want some low end Spydies in a regular carbon steel. There's just something cool about old pocket knives that have patina'd over decades of use.
    carbon steels are my favourite. I would love a smaller knife like the chaparral in 1095
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Out of necessity and because I like how easy it takes a great edge I like H1.
    in my use even VG10 and M390 stained in use, has to be aggressive sweat combined with blood during hunting tasks.

Also for a lot of applications the hollow grind comes in handy.
    For the fun of cutting I like to use high carbide steels and full flat grind and lately I came to like SuperBlue but most of the time I have a Dragonfly Salt or a Salt 1 with me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I like it... I like it a lot. My most used is a Salt 1 PE. Yes, I might lightly sharpen it a bit more, but it does cut a lot lot lot of cardboard. It's tough and stain free. What's not to like?

- best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I've had a Salt I for a while now, never had issues with stains on any of my other steels. Recently got the Dfly and Tasman Salts in SE, and SE edges are an application where the H1 excels.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    It is certainly in my top 10 steels of all time and it has it's place. I carry an SE "Ladyhawk" almost everyday for those occasional times. I do own quite a few knives in this steel so perhaps I like it more than I realize. If the Catcherman, Spyderhawk and Ladyhawk were all available in VG-10, I would likely still love/own/use them!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    I have a Pacific Salt, a Dragonfly2 Salt and a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt. None sees much pocket time unless I'm spending time in/on water bodies or wet gardens. I prefer steels with better edge-holding properties (M4 is probably my all-around favorite steel; just getting to know S90V and S110V). I gather SE versions of H1 hold edges better than PE versions, but both versions are still relatively soft. Lack of corrosion and ease of sharpening do make H1 a winner, though, and if it were the only steel I had I would not complain.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    I have had some minor rust and pitting issues with VG-10, but that was from my own perspiration. I carry a small knife while bicycling, and even with cleanup and Tufglide coating, I was always chasing pitting and rust when I had my Matriarch. My issue is unique though because most times a knife is not being exposed to heavy sweat for 2 to 6 hours at a time like when I am out on a training ride.

I like carrying an H-1 blade while riding because I can put it away after use without having to clean it up or coat it with protectant.

For my other carrying needs, all other steels work fine - even carbon steels.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I like it with my serrations, and I would like it a lot more in plain edge if it came full flat ground. To me the greatness of the steel is lost on those blunt door stop saber/hollow grinds. Having one reground is on my future to-do list. I would also love to see the steel used with a different kind of lock someday.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I am a fan of the H1 - mostly SE. It does scratch easier then most other, but just adds character. Some might not like it doesn't hold the edge as long, but it is so easy and fast to sharpen.

For some reason I like my dragonfly PE, salt a lot more then the FRN VG-10 one. If i reach for the dragonfly it is always the salt, and I don't know why.

I would like to see a small keychain H1 with a choil - basically the finch in H1.
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    It works well for me on my boat while saltwater fishing.I wish I could find an Aqua Salt!

best knife is the one in the pocket -today ; salt 1 .

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    Very easy to sharpen, but it does scratch readily
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonkiller View Post
    It works well for me on my boat while saltwater fishing.I wish I could find an Aqua Salt!
    If you found an Aqua Salt, would you use it for cutting and cleaning fish, or would you keep it in a box or in a case as a collector item?

For some reason, some of Spyderco's sweetest fixed blade designs have been in H1, and I do love that it's tough and won't rust, so count me an H1 fan. I have a Warrior purely for it's beauty of design, and I have an Aqua Salt. I haven't used the Warrior yet (thank god), but the Aqua just BEGS to be used! It handles phenomenally, and I just love pulling it out of its sheath (joke here), so sometimes I'll just use it as a steak knife for the hell of it. I have a black one in full spyderedge, and it ain't no collector item. The Aqua Salt is one I'd love to see brought back, but I understand that sales would generally be low for the price.

If a Rock Salt ever popped up at a halfway decent price (less than the Warrior), I'd snap that one up too.

While I have been very skeptical in terms of it's processing, I really like H1. I use a Salt 1 plain edge set at 12 degrees per side with a 15/side microbevel from the 204. This is my rough use work knife. Edge holding and wear resistance are irrelevant. It dulls by damage from contact with stuff that would dull any knife. It repairs/sharpens quick and doesn't chip. It stays sharp during the periods between the rough stuff, but the rough stuff gets it every time.

This thread needs some pics.

Spyderco Forum Registered User salmonkiller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    If you found an Aqua Salt, would you use it for cutting and cleaning fish, or would you keep it in a box or in a case as a collector item?
    On the boat for cutting bait and other chores.My H1 folders blade does not rust, but some the internal parts do rust even if washed and cared for after use.Using a fixed Aqua would eliminate some of the long term issues with a folder exposed to saltwater.I cant take my H1 folders apart to clean and lube because they are pinned.It's a constant battle on a saltwater boat and saltwater fishing in general.A PE Aqua Salt would work nicely.....