Thread: Kitchen knife identification?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Kitchen knife identification?

Can anyone identify this kitchen knife for me. I have looked at Spydercosource and Spydiewiki, but haven't had any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by remnar View Post
    Can anyone identify this kitchen knife for me. I have looked at Spydercosource and Spydiewiki, but haven't had any luck.

I had a really good friend I got to know on Ebay back in 04-05 and he had about every Spyderco kitchen/culinary knife that they ever made up to that poiint and I'm sure he's still a collector. It's been about 4 years since I chatted with him and he was still collecting their culinary blades.

I have seen that blade before>> and I believe that model has a Micarta handle and I think that's one that was made before the MBS-26 era came about if my memory serves me well. They also had a kitchen/culinary knife that I had once that I sold to a member here on the Forum ( off the forum of course) and it was rated a "Kosher" grade knife and there wasn't hardly any information available on it when I got it off Ebay>> which was one of the reasons I sold it to a collector who liked culinary blades.

I think that knife was made in the mid to late 90s>> If I'm wrong would somebody please tell me but I'm 95% sure about it. I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't launched a website dedicated to Spyderco's great kitchen blades. Because there are a lot of obscure models and some models that it's really hard to find any information on.

Now if this is an MBS-26 blade steel model I would say it's one of the very first.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

The time period sounds right from what I know, which isn't much. I believe the handle is micarta. I don't have any idea what type of steel the blade is made of. The only markings that I see are those shown in the pics: "Spyderco, Golden CO USA" on one side and "SEKI-CITY, Japan" on the other.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Given that there are two rivets in the handle, I'm fairly certain that it's one of the three "Kitchen Experimentals". I'm uncertain as to which one it is, but my best guess would be the KX-02. All I can find out about them is that they came out in '96.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Given that there are two rivets in the handle, I'm fairly certain that it's one of the three "Kitchen Experimentals". I'm uncertain as to which one it is, but my best guess would be the KX-02. All I can find out about them is that they came out in '96.
    Am I right about the knife having a Micarta handle? Because if you remember Deac there were about 3 to 4 of those earlier heavy duty kitchen blades during that time period and it seemed like they all had Micarta handles. I'm a little embarrassed not knowing the model better but I admit that the kitchen cutlery wasn't my main interest when I got started.

I do know that one "KOSHER" model did indeed have a Micarta handle. It wasn't until they introduced those MBS-26 models that they had that bacteria resistant type of polymer for a handle on most of those Spyderco kitchen blades IMO.

Thanks for the info guys. It does look like the KX03, but the KX03 is a lot bigger. I haven't found anything yet about the KX02 model, but I think your on to something.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    There was a Spyderco "Chefware" set in the 1996 Ironstone catalog that had wood handles and were riveted, but they have a slightly different handle and show 3 rivets. There was a 300mm French Cook's Knife (#SP-M300), 240mm Carving Knife (#SP-M240), and finally the 120mm Utility/Paring Knife (#SP-M120) that seems to have the same blade shape and size as the OP's.

Also found this tidbit on an old bladeforum thread (which got their info from this link: http://web.archive.org/web/200005111...tegoryid=888):

Whether Spyderco's Chefware Trio is used by the professional or the home chef, we're sure this kitchen cutlery will perform to their highest expectations. These models feature top of the line MBS-26 stainless steel for the Wood handle and AUS-10 for the Micarta handle. Each Japanese crafted blade is individually heat treated, oil quenched, and ice tempered. They are then ground and sharpened by hand. The "out-of-the-box" hair-splitting sharpness of these blades will impress you. Both Wooden and Micarta handles are riveted to the full tang for sturdy construction and an elegant look.

SP M240 Wood Handle

Price $ 60.95
    Blade Steel MBS-26
    Blade Length 9 1/2"
    Overall Length 14 1/2"
    Weight 8.3 oz
    Hardness RC: 57-59

SP KX03 Micarta Handle

Price $ 60.95
    Blade Steel AUS-10
    Blade Length 9 1/2"
    Overall Length 14 1/2"
    Weight 8.3 oz

SP M300 Wood Handle

Price $ 89.95
    Blade Steel MBS-26
    Blade Length 11 3/4"
    Overall Length 17 1/4"
    Weight 11.2 oz

SP KX02 Micarta Handle

Price $ 89.95
    Blade Steel MBS-26
    Blade Length 11 3/4"
    Overall Length 17 1/4"
    Weight 11.2 oz
    Seeing as how the KX03 is largest and the KX02 is a size smaller, perhaps the KX01 is the smallest, which would match up with the M120 size?
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Okay, just broke out my copy of The Spyderco Story and they have a picture of the KX01 (pg 160), which is an exact match for the OP's knife. It's described as "9.25 inches overall, weighs 3.2 ounces, and has a cutting edge 4.75 inches long." Steel is AUS-10. The book also describes the handles as ebony, but from another thread on bladeforums (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...tchen-knives?s) it appears that Micarta was used instead on the Experimentals, while the wood (with 3 rivets) was used with the different handle profiled "Chefware" M-series set. Mystery solved!
    Last edited by jabba359; 06-29-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Wow everyone, thanks for all the sleuthing.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    Okay, just broke out my copy of The Spyderco Story and they have a picture of the KX01 (pg 160), which is an exact match for the OP's knife. It's described as "9.25 inches overall, weighs 3.2 ounces, and has a cutting edge 4.75 inches long." Steel is AUS-10. The book also describes the handles as ebony, but from another thread on bladeforums (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...tchen-knives?s) it appears that Micarta was used instead on the Experimentals, while the wood (with 3 rivets) was used with the different handle profiled "Chefware" M-series set. Mystery solved!
    I was pretty sure that knife had a Micarta handle because I had seen that knife before. I guess I need to slap myself on the head and go "Duh!!">> Because I just had my copy of the Spyderco Story out looking at it recently. They did have that "Experimental" set of blades in that book and I do also remember seeing that pic of it.

I have an old IRONSTONE catalog somewhere in all my ancient Spyderco catalogs and collector pieces of information. If I remember correctly I believe it was IRONSTONE that actually marketed those early kitchen blades. Ironstone even sold a lot of exotic sharpening stones at one time too. I had a friend of mine who got a set of Belgium RAzor Stones from the Ironstone outlet in the late 90s. It was truly an interesting retail outlet. I was told that Spyderco actually owned and ran it>> but I don't know that for 100% sure. But they sure sold a lot Spyderco's stuff.

But referring again to my friend who I got aquainted with through my early Ebay ventures>> he was literally obsessed with obtaining all of Spyderco's early kitchen blades and at the time had quite a set of them. There were a lot of these kitchen/chef knives that were marketed in the early going that had a short run in the retail arena. And again most of the ones my friend showed me were ones with Micarta handles. There were a couple of models he had that did indeed have some type of wood handle but those were the "rare birds".

Also there is one factoid we all do need to keep in mind>> Spyderco actually got it's start marketing sharpening equipment and devices. Also at one point in the early going they marketed a lot of kitchen blades. That one kitchen knife I had of theirs called the "KOSHER" knife was one of the earliest. I sort of wish I woud have kept that one now because I haven't even seen or heard of it since about 5 years ago.

It's really cool when one of these models from the early going come to surface occasionally. Thanks a million for sharing that one with us. If you find anymore of those in good or mint condition I highly encourage you to preserve it in your collection.