Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good fixed blade.

Spyderco Forum Registered User hawaiihunter's Avatar

A good fixed blade.

I want a good fixed blade for adventuring into the "forest". I would be cutting wood, vines and grass and stuff. I would like something with a nice straightback blade and synthetic handles. If you can't think of one that meets the requirements then just post whatever you think is good. Thanks.
    Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
    Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
    S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    How about a Spyderco Bushcraft?
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 LW (BD1), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear)

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    I'm planning on getting the Schemp Rock for my outdoor adventures this summer.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    South Fork. Incredibly versatile, astonishingly useful, very comfortable, blade geometry makes it stay sharp for a long time.

The Serrata is probably worth a look, too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Reject's Avatar
    Australia. Just left of the middle of no where.
    I think, this is the currently available fixed blade range which could be useful to you out bush.

Last edited by Reject; 05-03-2014 at 05:28 AM.
    How much can a Koala bear?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    Nice collection Reject! That pic is quite useful for size comparison.
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    South Fork, Bushcraft and Moran are all good choices in the Spyderco line. Lots of other choices from other makers.

I like the ESEE 3 for a fixed blade field knife. Simple 1095 carbon steel, lots or different handle and blade color options, and a great "feel" in the hand. Relatively inexpensive, and made in the good ole' USA (if that means anything to you).
    DLC Paramilitary 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V hollow ground, Delica 4 stainless with custom engraving, green frn delica 4 ffg, blue frn delica 4 ffg, orange frn endura 4 ffg, Gayle Bradley

In a tropical climate, cheap machete from the hardware store.

Although I don't yet own one I vote for the Southfork. S90V, great blade shape and size; an all around perfect field knife IMO. I will own one!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I think of the current lineup, I'd go with the Temp 2. It's kind of expensive and there are cheaper options out there.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Two words...

Mule team.

Spyderco Forum Registered User hawaiihunter's Avatar
    Yeah, maybe I should wait for mule team, they are pretty great I heard.
    Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
    Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
    S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User captnvegtble's Avatar
    The Bushcraft is one of the best Spyderco fixed blades every created. O1 steel and grind is fantasitc and the ergonomics of the handle is one of the best I've held. The only downside is that it is no stainless steel.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy B View Post
    I like the ESEE 3 for a fixed blade field knife. Simple 1095 carbon steel, lots or different handle and blade color options, and a great "feel" in the hand. Relatively inexpensive, and made in the good ole' USA (if that means anything to you).
    An ESEE 3 should serve you well out in the woods. Those knives can really take a beating.

You could also get a bushcraft blank direct from Spyderco http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=471

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    I either pack a mule team or my temp 2 for those tasks. They both work great. The temp 2 is a bit heartier.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Halfneck's Avatar
    My personal choice of a Spyderco fixed blade for the woods would be the Bushcraft. Ergonomics are good, O1 is a good choice, and the Scandinavian ground blade excels at wood carving tasks.
    "A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Six words:

Mule Team plus Halpern Titanium scales
    Last edited by Strong-Dog; 05-03-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Get whatever Spyderco you settle on, but also grab a Mora. The 4 inch version of the following is what I was beating on in Hawaii earlier this week. Good knife and I wasn't overly concerned with it tarnishing due to the low price. Highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090U...&pi=SX200_QL40

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    If you don't plan to batton it I'd go with a Southfork or Serrata. The Bushcraft is also very good and better if most of your work will involve working with wood. The other 2 are better with food, fish and general use imho.