Thread: Terminator fans: Why does Skynet seem to hate the human race so much?

Hybrid View

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Terminator fans: Why does Skynet seem to hate the human race so much?

Any Terminator fans here? Question for you: Why does Skynet seem to be bent on eradicating the human race? Wouldn't the logical thing be to work together with the humans who want to be partners or friends/allies, and improve the world, and the universe, together?

A man named Hans Moravec (computer scientist from MIT) has spent decades studying AI and trying to develop them, artificial intelligences. He seems to be on the optimist side. He wrote two books, "Mind Children" and "Robot", in which he speculates the human race will develop human level AI and beyond...as well as general purpose nano assembler replicators..and will transform the Earth and the universe into a paradisal place where both humans and machines work together for the betterment of all. Sortof like a Star Trek version of Terminator, instead of the dystopian machines killing people version.

What do you all think?

Ray Kurzweil, the guy who made the concept of the technological Singularity famous, thinks humans ourselves will use nano and bio tech and AI tech to make ourselves into the super minds.

But, again, why does SkyNet seem to have such a malicious hate for humans?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    Look at our media and what we do to each other on a daily basis, and perhaps that is why they want us "gone"...

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    If the machines didn't like humans, it could be because they feared that humans would eventually turn them off. Or they would hate sharing resources with humans.

I have been fascinated by Terminator and the thought of machinery and software that is developed that much. I have done a lot of computer programming and seeing how computer languages have developed, I think modern computer languages could be a significant deterrent to a machine's ability to write workable code. Or maybe it means a machine could do it better than humans, I don't know.

I do think we can develop pretty advanced AI. IBM's "Watson" is one component of that. Actually I would like to be doing research in that area.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Agent smith explained it pretty well in the the matrix. Humans are a virus. A plague upon this planet.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    Agent smith explained it pretty well in the the matrix. Humans are a virus. A plague upon this planet.
    That's the exact same thing I was thinking.

Also, in Star Wars, do people interact with AI? C3PO etc.??

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jeremy_A_Neel's Avatar
    Well, as much as I love the Terminator movies, you can't apply logic to them. Assuming the whole "passage through time requires a person to be naked" thing is true, why don't the Terminators smuggle guns under their skin? I mean, the way they go about their pursuits isn't inconspicuous anyway, so it's not like the lack of a gun shaped appendage is going to make any casual onlooker less suspicious of a man shrugging off dozens of gunshot wounds, and out-running speeding cars. Also, how did the liquid metal terminator make it through without skin?
    "If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_A_Neel View Post
    Well, as much as I love the Terminator movies, you can't apply logic to them. Assuming the whole "passage through time requires a person to be naked" thing is true, why don't the Terminators smuggle guns under their skin?
    This was done at the beginning of the Terminator TV series.

I liked that series and was disappointed when it was "terminated".

It seems to me that the Terminator franchise has a lot of opportunities for new movies. There are so many aspects of the story and points in the timeline that have not been addressed yet. They can keep on making those movies for a long time and have new material to cover.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Yeah, Raven, I find it interesting. For the most part, in Star Wars, the humans tend to look down on the droids, except for Luke and a few others, who still hold a "patronizing" mentality towards them. And in Star Trek, they have the technology to make androids, but because of assorted bad incidents, there are few. Data is an exception. The Starfleet Federation types seem to prefer humans plus "Safe tech" (replicators, but no genetic alterations to humans and they frown upon cybernetic modifications.

Imagine an implantable Spyderco Knife that can slide out of your hand when needed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    In the Terminator timeline, humans try to snuff out Skynet on judgment day right before the mass nuclear strike. No mention is made of diplomacy or negotiation.

I like the Asimov vision, with the three laws of robotics.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Funny this topic should come up today, as I just read an article by Stephen Hawking about the dangers of A.I.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...h-9313474.html
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug