Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S110V Manix 2 1st Impressions

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    Congratulations!! All's well that ends well But I wouldn't try that with my other knives
    I'll just say that was a very educational experience and I will carry this knowledge with me in future endeavors. Or to put it more bluntly, that $#%& ain't gonna happen again

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I wouldn't have tried that with my Wildsteer, and that knife was designed to pry out broad heads from trees. Lol

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I wouldn't have tried that with my Wildsteer, and that knife was designed to pry out broad heads from trees. Lol
    My curiousity about the strength of the FRN got the best of me. I wanted to see how far I could push those handle scales. Answer: Too far for the blade.

I would have bet money that the handle would break before the blade. For what it's worth I think most of us appreciate you taking one for the team. Now we know the lightweight handle is no slouch.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    How were you holding the handle?

Even if you made the handle out of a soft material (to a point), if you can apply enough force to the pivot area, the blade will break first. I imagine you'd have to be prying with a lot of force on the lanyard hole area to put the most stress on the handle.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Speaking of handles, since we're getting FRN on Golden made knives, how about a LW Manix2 in Delica brown or dark foliage green FRN, maybe a sprint CTS-XHP or even another S110V?
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Translucent K390 Manix 2 LW. I'd buy one instantaneously...or 4 haha.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I was thinking and meant to mention -- Transparent

I don't mind the blue, but if it came with clear handles, I would be sooooo happy. As it is I would love to see the S110V done in a clear handle sprint.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Since K390 is not so stainless, does it give more toughness than S110V?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Not sure about toughness (I would guess it to be higher), but Ankerson mentioned in another thread that it's the only one that has outperformed S110V in his tests regarding edge retention cutting manilla rope. And by translucent I meant clear, as opposed to the translucent blue. That prototype picture with clear handles has imprinted itself on my brain permanently. And no K390 isn't stainless, but I don't think it would corrode as much as a simpler carbon steel like 1095 because K390 has 4.2% Chromium, as well as 9% Vanadium, and some Molybdenum and Cobalt etc. CPM 3V and CPM CruWear aren't stainless either, and I've never oiled the blade of either and haven't seen any corrosion or patina at all.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Not sure about toughness (I would guess it to be higher), but Ankerson mentioned in another thread that it's the only one that has outperformed S110V in his tests regarding edge retention cutting manilla rope. And by translucent I meant clear, as opposed to the translucent blue. That prototype picture with clear handles has imprinted itself on my brain permanently. And no K390 isn't stainless, but I don't think it would corrode as much as a simpler carbon steel like 1095 because K390 has 4.2% Chromium, as well as 9% Vanadium, and some Molybdenum and Cobalt etc. CPM 3V and CPM CruWear aren't stainless either, and I've never oiled the blade of either and haven't seen any corrosion or patina at all.
    Coincidentally yesterday I tried again to get a little light patina on my K390 mule. I cut up a mango and left the juice on the blade for less than an hour, washed it, then carried it in the kydex scabbard under my sweaty shirt outdoors all day, doing some light pruning, cleaning out flower beds, etc. It would up with a couple of dozen tiny brownish rusty looking specks scattered over the blade. I've decided to try to clean it all off and start lubricating it regularly, probably Frog Lube, and forget the notion of letting it patinate. Also, my experience with Cruwear is the same as yours. The only patina I really like so far, that I've done, is the type that comes naturally, with regular cleaning, on Super Blue. I did like some D2 patina induced with red wine vinegar by somebody else, buy all I've seen on my D2 so far is similar to that on the K390. I seem to be gravitating toward the school of protecting these metals instead of oxidizing them.

Getting back to the Manix s110v, I found out today that it's so light, it carries great in the shirt pocket, especially with the Caly clip... carries even deeper there than my Dragonfly. Looks like some sort of pen or whatever (especially if you have pocket flaps) and makes a handy second knife when carrying a millie, mule, etc.

My K390 Mule has a slight patina induced by vinegar by one of the previous owners...in person it's got kind of a multicolour sheen (Mainly orange with a little blue), but it's VERY hard to notice in pictures, or even in person out of sunlight. I have yet to try it for food prep (I have lots of stainless knives to use, including two of the Spyderco 6" kitchen utility knives which incidentally are superb), though I have used the CruWear Millie as a steak knife a couple times and used it to chop some vegetables on a few occasions, and never saw any rust pits at all. CruWear is more Chromium rich though at 7.5% so that's not really surprising.

-> Branden

I'm glad you mentioned that. I just checked my Cruwear millie and found a sprinkling of barely visible rust specks on both sides from some gardening work I did with it late last week. I feel sure they'll come right off with CLP or Flitz, but this tells me that it's not stainless enough to take for granted. I've never seen anything like that on it before, and I got careless and didn't clean it well enough.