Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Found a task that S110V is NOT good for

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Look on the bright side - at least it confirms that the plastic handle is not a weak point in the design.

S110V is a very new steel and there are many complications to processing the material into a blade. There is n9 history to go on, so wit looks like we're the experiment. We're working closely with Crucible on the steel. Lab tests were good, but the jury is still out on what it will do or not do in the real world. Finding the optimal HT may take a while.

We'll know more when we can get the broken piece under a scope.

sal

Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country
    Well that test gives us one point on the curve. The hardness on this blade is reported to be in the RC 62 range. At this hardness there is not going to be much if any visable plastic deformation before bending fracture. From the photos I could not see any evidence of a hinge, it broke pretty clean. Also no evidence of a defect in the steel. It was simply over stressed and met the limit. A couple of years ago I did some bending fracture tests on N690 (VG10). Initial hardness as tempered was 61. It broke clean at that hardness with no visible deformation. I slowly increased the tempering temp until I could see some plastic deformation before breaking and had to go down to rC 58 before the sample would bend before breaking. At that point I could see deformation and actually bend it back with out failure. I have not done this wiith CPM S110v but expect it to act about the same. How would 1095 do with the same loading? Files are made out of 1095 so imagine a thin file being used to pry apart oak like this test knife. Or put it in a vise and honk on it. Or bang it down on a hard surface. I may try that with some old files I have. Phil

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    This piece of wood had a knot very close to where the blade broke. For comparison I tried to pry it apart with a large and thick screwdriver and the wood hardly budged. This incident was basically akin to putting the blade in a vise and honking on it as Phil stated.

Sal, I shipped the knife to you this morning. USPS says you should receive it Monday.

One thing to note when you guys examine the knife: on the portion of the blade that remains attached at the pivot there are some scratches in the area of the break. These are due to my crude methods of disassembly and are not a result of the break

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    This piece of wood had a knot very close to where the blade broke. For comparison I tried to pry it apart with a large and thick screwdriver and the wood hardly budged. This incident was basically akin to putting the blade in a vise and honking on it as Phil stated.

Sal, I shipped the knife to you this morning. USPS says you should receive it Monday.
    People actually have broken axe heads on knots, so breaking a knife is not a surprise and you've adequately described how this happened. All in all, a good learning experience. Maybe we should take up a collection to help with a replacement. Five bucks from 20 or 25 members would cover you.

Would the S30V Manix broken in a similar manner? How about the M4 Manix?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    People actually have broken axe heads on knots, so breaking a knife is not a surprise and you've adequately described how this happened. All in all, a good learning experience. Maybe we should take up a collection to help with a replacement. Five bucks from 20 or 25 members would cover you.
    I'm not at all worried about breaking mine after this whole incident. As you said, splitting wood is often extremely difficult, that's why we use things like mauls to do it with. If this were a hardwood, and if it were aged and thoroughly dry, then splitting it with anything would have been a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if every knife in the catalog met the same fate in that log.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if every knife in the catalog met the same fate in that log.
    I totally agree with this. I was mainly trying to see how the FRN handles would perform and have to say this is an extremely tough knife. I just happened to pick the wrong stick.

I've still got my S110V Forum Native and MT18 so while it's sad to lose a knife, I'm not hurting for quality blades over here. As it is, I spend way too much time staring at my knife drawer each morning trying to decide what awesome knife to carry that day. It's a nice problem to have and I'm real fortunate to have it.

People actually have broken axe heads on knots ...
    If you took an axe head, pushed it into a piece of wood, and by manual force along with your wrist snapped the axe head then I would hope that you would not actually think that is representative behavior.

The fact that it was wood isn't relevant, what is critical is the force applied as to when it broke. The same amount of force could have been applied if it was cutting plastic or cardboard of sufficient thickness.

And no, not all steels are going to break in that manner because not all of them are notch sensitive as high carbide steels are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    And no, not all steels are going to break in that manner because not all of them are notch sensitive as high carbide steels are.
    Well I certainly won't be trying any more of them to find out.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Well I certainly won't be trying any more of them to find out.
    As they say, hindsight is 20/20. Sorry about your experience, Senor. Glad you didn't get hurt, though.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thanx much. We'll keep you posted.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Thanx much. We'll keep you posted.

sal
    You da man Sal, you guys rock!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Great thread, thanks for sharing this with us, Senor.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    S110V is a very new steel and there are many complications to processing the material into a blade. There is n9 history to go on, so wit looks like we're the experiment. We're working closely with Crucible on the steel. Lab tests were good, but the jury is still out on what it will do or not do in the real world. Finding the optimal HT may take a while.

We'll know more when we can get the broken piece under a scope.

sal
    Hi Sal,

From my testing I think it's pretty much dead on, I didn't see any noticeable problems, the tell tale chipping or rolling (flattening) so it didn't seem brittle or too soft in testing.

But I guess if one honks on it sideways really hard then it will snap, but really that would be with any steel that is hardened and tempered for high performance.

Taking a folder and pulling sideways on it, bad things will happen for sure...

At least it snapped clean and no grain showing so that's a good thing.

You could take an S30V Manix 2 and do the same thing with it, honking on it sideways really hard and get the same results in the end I suppose.

Jim

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    Hi Sal,

From my testing I think it's pretty much dead on, I didn't see any noticeable problems, the tell tale chipping or rolling (flattening) so it didn't seem brittle or too soft in testing.

But I guess if one honks on it sideways really hard then it will snap, but really that would be with any steel that is hardened and tempered for high performance.

Taking a folder and pulling sideways on it, bad things will happen for sure...

At least it snapped clean and no grain showing so that's a good thing.

You could take an S30V Manix 2 and do the same thing with it, honking on it sideways really hard and get the same results in the end I suppose.

Jim
    Probably any steel in any reasonable geometry for that matter. Probably not the exact same result as has been mentioned(implying the survival of other steels) but certainly damage to the folder for sure.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Probably any steel in any reasonable geometry for that matter. Probably not the exact same result as has been mentioned(implying the survival of other steels) but certainly damage to the folder for sure.
    I have personally seen both AUS8 and VG-1 bend pretty good before.... I actually bent them in testing....... And bent them back in a vise..... But neither were in this hardness range....

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    With S110V HT to 62 or 63 Rc we are dealing with some pretty rarified and unique stuff

My heart is with you Senor, however like you said you don't lack for quality blades or edges

Glad the remains are going to the cause of science and research We are getting closer to "Unobtainium"
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"