Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Found a task that S110V is NOT good for

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tvenuto View Post
    Sigh, I guess I didn't use precise enough language for teh interwebs. I've been out of engineering school for 12 years, and out of engineering for 3, so maybe there's a better word for this that I'm forgetting?
    Nope. Ductile vs Brittle fracture.

And again, I'm not saying that there was some sort of defect or problem with the steel, or that this is inherently a bad steel for knives, or that the blade should not have broken or anything like that. I was merely trying to explain why we see a broken blade instead of bent one.
    Last edited by tvenuto; 05-09-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: copious qualification

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    If you want, send me a PM, I know people who can turn that into a fixed blade.
    I for one would love to see this happen! Lemon-aide out of lemons!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    Make a fixed blade¡

Edit : cliff bet me to it. I would have turned it into a fixed blade with partial tang by now
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanPreferred View Post
    I for one would love to see this happen! Lemon-aide out of lemons!
    It went back to Spyderco for evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    1095 at 62-63 RC isn't going to bend very much before it snaps..... Given the same geometry...

Now yeah at 55-59 RC with a spring temper yeah it will bend more before it breaks.... But it will still break, it will just take longer....

1095 with a Differential Heat Treatment like the ABS guys do it will bend a lot more, but the edge will crack because it's a lot harder than the spine...

This is SK4 which has very similar composition to 1095

Multi normalizing using descending heats 1600F, 1550F, 1500F, 1425F

Clay applied Austenize at 1475F, hold for 10 mins -quench in warmed Park50 and then immediately temper at 375F for 1hr, and another two time tempering at 400F for 1hrs each.

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/pum..._1042.mp4.html

The blade does permanently bent but nothing even minor damage on the edge. We have done RC hardness shown 60.8RC

From my experience S110V absolutely is a brittle steel. Not sure why some people still thought its a tough steel...

At least it is far more brittle than S30V. I don't even think the steel is suit to be made as general knife blade.
    Last edited by shqxk; Yesterday at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shqxk View Post
    This is SK4 which has very similar composition to 1095

Multi normalizing using descending heats 1600F, 1550F, 1500F, 1425F

Clay applied Austenize at 1475F, hold for 10 mins -quench in warmed Park50 and then immediately temper at 375F for 1hr, and another two time tempering at 400F for 1hrs each.
    To clarify, is this blade through hardened at ~61 HRC or is there a differential hardening of the edge to the spine?

From my experience S110V absolutely is a brittle steel. Not sure why some people still thought its a tough steel...
    It isn't being used in the metallurgical definition.

For example S110V has a very low grindability, people then say it is tough simply because it is tough (difficult) to grind it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    To clarify, is this blade through hardened at ~61 HRC or is there a differential hardening of the edge to the spine?

I doubt that it is....

Basic spring temper in a spring steel so it's not surprising really...

A lot of different types of things they can do to the spring steels to get that kind of flex...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shqxk View Post
    Not sure why some people still thought its a tough steel...

At least it is far more brittle than S30V. I don't even think the steel is suit to be made as general knife blade.
    Context. It's tough in the realm of ultra-high carbide/carbon folding knife blades which more or less are competing with ceramics and similar fragile materials. All "CPM" steels are relatively "tough" due to the grain structure compared to ingot steels of the same properties, as I understand it.

IMHO, making a statement that it shouldn't be used as a general knife blade isn't fair as it removes application and expectations from the scenario. The number of ZDP-189 blades that have been released by Spyderco over the years is astonishing and one could say the same thing about those knives. The last time I recall hearing about chipping to the point Spyderco did something drastic was halting the production of Nilakka's until edge geometry could be tweaked but those were chipping like crazy.

Ankerson reprofiled his 110v Manix and cut up about a Costco warehouse of cardboard boxes without any chipping. Based on that if your tasks involve cardboard and similar materials, it's more than tough for the application.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Context. It's tough in the realm of ultra-high carbide/carbon folding knife blades which more or less are competing with ceramics and similar fragile materials. All "CPM" steels are relatively "tough" due to the grain structure compared to ingot steels of the same properties, as I understand it.

IMHO, making a statement that it shouldn't be used as a general knife blade isn't fair as it removes application and expectations from the scenario. The number of ZDP-189 blades that have been released by Spyderco over the years is astonishing and one could say the same thing about those knives. The last time I recall hearing about chipping to the point Spyderco did something drastic was halting the production of Nilakka's until edge geometry could be tweaked but those were chipping like crazy.

Ankerson reprofiled his 110v Manix and cut up about a Costco warehouse of cardboard boxes without any chipping. Based on that if your tasks involve cardboard and similar materials, it's more than tough for the application.
    That was 5/8" manila rope and cardboard with a blade that was reground professionally to .005" behind the edge.

And there was zero edge damage......

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...in-Performance

That's not exactly trivial either....
    Last edited by Ankerson; Yesterday at 11:30 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    That was 5/8" manila rope and cardboard with a blade that was reground professionally to .005" behind the edge.

And there was zero edge damage......

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...in-Performance

That's not exactly trivial either....
    Ah thanks Jim! I thought it was reground but didn't want to mention that without looking it up (I got lazy ).
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Ah thanks Jim! I thought it was reground but didn't want to mention that without looking it up (I got lazy ).
    No problem.