Thread: Windows OS Warning, Don't Use Any Version of Internet Explorer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar

Windows OS Warning, Don't Use Any Version of Internet Explorer

Remember when your favorite 'computer expert' (nerd) told you not to use Internet Explorer(IE)? Probably also recommended using Chrome or Firefox? Well don't come crying to them when your PC is all crapped up. DL links below.

According to a confirmation by Microsoft late last night, a new zero day vulnerability has been found to affect every version of Internet Explorer. In other words—over a quarter of the entire browser market.

Attacks taking advantage of the vulnerability are largely targeting IE versions 9, 10, and 11 in something called a "use after free" attack. Essentially, the attack corrupts data as soon as memory has been released, most likely after users have been lured to phony websites. Microsoft explains:

The vulnerability exists in the way that Internet Explorer accesses an object in memory that has been deleted or has not been properly allocated. The vulnerability may corrupt memory in a way that could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current user within Internet Explorer. An attacker could host a specially crafted website that is designed to exploit this vulnerability through Internet Explorer and then convince a user to view the website.

http://gizmodo.com/new-vulnerability...ium=socialflow

Get Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Get Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...&utm_medium=ha

Linux and OSX users need only be concerned if they run a version of Windows in a VM like VMWare or VirturalBox.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    And if you're still using Windows XP, it's on you to upgrade IE when the fix appears...
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Explorer is almost unusable even when it isn't falling sleep during Malware attacks, lol. Terrific advice though...just remove that icon from your start menu.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I use IE exactly one time when I install Windows, and that's to download something else. Been that way for about 15 years.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Likewise, David. Unfortunately, I have had to use IE for work often.

Windows 7 has a simple toggle under the control panel-programs and features area, you can toggle IE to not exist at all, at least as a browser. i know at least some of that code is likely required in explorer but at least it will be touh for malicious web code to get you.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    FWIW, I believe a patch/update for IE that addresses this vulnerability was issued a day or two ago. As for me, I don't use IE often, and when I do it's only to visit sites I've visited before via bookmarks, so I don't think this particular vulnerability would have been of much concern to me.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    IE is still around??? News to me.