Thread: Anyone else hate uneven plunge lines?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar

Anyone else hate uneven plunge lines?

I don't mind an off-center blade. Hell, even blade play doesn't really bother me anymore. But when I get a knife (especially a fixed blade), it just really bugs me when the plunge lines are off. Anyone else?

I mean, its a fixed blade. It is much easier to make than a folder. Not a lot can go wrong (the plunge lines being something that can), but it seems like I always end up with uneven plunge lines.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I'm basically OCD when it comes to symmetry. I even have a kanji that says "equality" and matching tats on my forearms. I love things to be balanced, so when things like grind lines and plunge lines and even back lock cutouts are uneven, it makes me crazy. I'm torn between knowing that it doesn't effect performance, and knowing it's there in the first place and just being obsessed with wishing it were even. One of my Yojimbo 2's had really uneven hollow grinds per side and it made me crazy.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar

Plunge lines?

Here I was ready to see some Loni Anderson style dress and you guys are talking KNIVES?

Color me disappointed.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Funny thing, I'm far more tolerant of minor imperfections in symmetry that are the result of human error than of intentional asymmetry, such as a knife that's G-10 on one side and metal on the other.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    My Tuff and Southard demand that you take such hurtful words back, RIGHT NOW!
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    I just spent a bunch of money on grinders so that I never have to deal with this again.

I personally don't care about centering - it is secondary to the geometry of the blade. I've seen many cases of blades that are bent for perfect centering. I bend them back, don't care about off-centering in the handle, and enjoy the better blade.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Funny thing, I'm far more tolerant of minor imperfections in symmetry that are the result of human error than of intentional asymmetry, such as a knife that's G-10 on one side and metal on the other.
    That doesn't bother me but the thickness difference sure does.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Textural + thickness discrepancies = troubling. I tendnto prefer locks that are symmetrical. Functional reasons for asymmetry often bring me peace about it, though.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar

This doesn't bother me. But if the plunge started in way different places it would. I also hate a plunge line that has steps through it or isn't 90 degrees to the heel or less (I hate it when the plunge curves back away from the edge) hard to explain that right

It would also bother me if the grind was much deeper on one side than the other
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Here I was ready to see some Loni Anderson style dress and you guys are talking KNIVES?

Color me disappointed.

Ken
    Loni is almost 70! How much do you really want to see??

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    Loni is almost 70! How much do you really want to see??
    LOL, yeah, you're right... Sorry, I live in the past and don't get out much. She's the last real bombshell I was ever aware of so I went with what I had, knowing the other "old guys" would appreciate the reference. I haven't seen her since her WKRP days.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User shunsui's Avatar
    You haven't seen Mad Men's Christina Hendricks ?

Quote Originally Posted by shunsui View Post
    You haven't seen Mad Men's Christina Hendricks ?
    I haven't. And, why are they so mad?

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    LOL, yeah, you're right... Sorry, I live in the past and don't get out much. She's the last real bombshell I was ever aware of so I went with what I had, knowing the other "old guys" would appreciate the reference. I haven't seen her since her WKRP days.

Ken
    Yeah I remember Loni Anderson......WKRP was awesome for its time!

Best Scene Ever............
    "It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, Johnny, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenburg tragedy has there been anything like this!"

Then later ......Mr. Carlson; "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!"

Loni Anderson in her prime was quite an eyeful.

I loved that scene. Quoted it many times myself.

Also the scene where they were showing how alcohol impairs your reaction time. The more Johnny drank, the faster his reflexes.

Cop "This test has been given to hundreds of people! No one's ever got better!!"

Great show!

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User shunsui's Avatar
    I haven't. And, why are they so mad?

Ken
    They're ad execs in a NY Advertising firm. First season (late 1950's) was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by shunsui View Post
    They're ad execs in a NY Advertising firm. First season (late 1950's) was pretty good.
    Ah, okay, I get that. I'd be angry if I had to live in NYC too. No one should have to do that....

Ken

(Cheery clip, btw. Very uplifting...)
    玉鋼