Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hobby

Spyderco Forum Registered User

New hobby

Any mountain bikers here?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Raced Mt Bikes all over the east coast in the late 90s or so.. Gave it up.. And got lazy!!! Son rode for Trek too.. John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

I have done some light mountain biking in the past but mostly I am a road biker.

John, I guess the second line in your signature doesnt apply to you

Bdblue, there is no such thing as light mountain bike in my books!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Knivesinedc's Avatar
    Indeed I am. Not really an expert rider, but I can make it over some pretty rough stuff. my bike isn't all that great either. Mongoose XR-75-Discontinued. Full suspension bike. So far i haven't had any big problems other than a couple of flat tires.
    Our Freedom, you want it, Come and take it.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Getting back into it after 10 years of practically no riding.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

I just ordered a new mtb, and it is on its way as I type this. Will post pics of it when it arrives and when I am done assembling it.

And I thought knives was an expensive hobby

The pedals alone I bought for this bike will buy a Para2

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Always wanted to, but in my youth it was BMX and these days it's vintage road bikes. My problem is I have 2 kids and the Mrs who aren't really interested in going out and hitting trails with me, so we stick to the smooth easy stuff. I've busted my body up enough that it's probably for the best anyway. I have two '80s Lotus road bikes and an '81 Schwinn that I ride with the family.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Lint View Post
    I just ordered a new mtb, and it is on its way as I type this. Will post pics of it when it arrives and when I am done assembling it.

And I thought knives was an expensive hobby

The pedals alone I bought for this bike will buy a Para2
    Where did you purchase, if you don't mind me asking? I have been looking into bikes direct.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    I'm a recreational MTBer, I like having fun on the trails, not a lot of mountains where I live, but a lot of mud
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Xceptnl, bought from Mud, Sweat and Gears. Awesome to deal with too! Are you looking into buying a new mtb?

IG, there are virtually no mountains where I live, but a lot of shield country and hills. Plenty enough for me to get out and get some exercise and enjoy the outside

Evil D, vintage road bikes are

'87 Lotus Leger...one of only 2 aluminum frames Lotus ever made. This bike rides like a dream. Currently has a Brooks B17 on it.

'86 Lotus Excelle Sport...really nice chrome moly frame, currently set up for the Mrs to ride

My baby...'81 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, bought from the original owner in near mint condition. In this pic all I've done is wipe the dust off it, put the B17 on it and new bar wrap (tires were replaced by the original owner), but it needs a good detailing.

My BMX cruiser, 2010 FIT CR24, probably weighs less than any of those road bikes and built like a tank

My other pride and joy, '95 GT Vertigo, 100% original. Still has nipples on the tires.

And the rat bike, '52 Schwinn bobber I like to call "Holy Roller" lol

Got a few more but I'm done pic whoring your thread

~David

.... GASP .. Those are some sweet bikes Evil D, but just you wait till I get my mtb set up, she is a beaut!!!

That Holy Roller is badass lol

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    When I was 12-13 years old (and well over 300# even back then) I used to do that to bicycle seats all the time David. You can fix that, brother. No problem

Ken
    玉鋼

Xceptnl, bought from Mud, Sweat and Gears. Awesome to deal with too! Are you looking into buying a new mtb?
    I am looking at a 29er with a rigid rear, front and rear discs, and I am still doing research about other aspects. I'm looking to spend no more than $400 or so.
    My 's:

*Landon*

I reeeeeally want a Surly Moonlander but they're super expensive.
    surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

~David

What type of riding are you planning to do? I am new to mountain biking and I went against all the advice online and on the forums on buying an "entry" level bike. I went ahead and spent over 4k on a new mtb with carbon fiber frame and components.

from what I read, 29'ers is a great size, especially for clearing obstacles in your way. I went ahead with a 27.5 inch wheelset, which is apparently the new craze in wheelsize, even though its been around for ages.

I'd kindly offer you advice xceptnl, but I fear it might be a case of the blind leading the blind

I've seen a few of those bikes around, and they are definitely an eye catcher. The big fat wheels is supposed to make it much easier riding thru sand, snow and other places more conventional tires have difficulty tackling .. so what i read anyways. That actually wouldnt be a bad idea to get up where I live, since most of the year the ground is covered in that solid h20

If price was no option, I would be looking at a Rotwild R.R2 or Cannondale Scalpel. We can all dream right?
    My 's:

*Landon*

What type of riding are you planning to do? I am new to mountain biking and I went against all the advice online and on the forums on buying an "entry" level bike. I went ahead and spent over 4k on a new mtb with carbon fiber frame and components.

from what I read, 29'ers is a great size, especially for clearing obstacles in your way. I went ahead with a 27.5 inch wheelset, which is apparently the new craze in wheelsize, even though its been around for ages.

I'd kindly offer you advice xceptnl, but I fear it might be a case of the blind leading the blind
    Our terrain here varies, but I am certainly not looking for $4k top of the line and not looking for Walmart special either. We can stumble through the dark together.
    My 's:

*Landon*