Thread: Paring knife, forgotten project

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Paring knife, forgotten project

I was digging around and found this knife I started a while back. It only needed a bit of polishing so I did that and am posting it here just because. If I don't post a picture the knife will disappear because "no pic, it didn't happen".

I made this handle from scrap pieces. In this picture you can see where the cell "walls" are not at the surface of the handle. This was very near the edge of a piece of scrap the manufacturer sent me.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bradley's Avatar
    Looks sweet. Nice work!
    New:
    Dodo
    Smallfly
    Para 2
    S110V Mule

Soon:
    S90V CF Yo 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Nice job, man!
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    cool very nice I like paring knives
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Love those scales!
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    What's the dimension & steel?

Quote Originally Posted by anagarika View Post
    What's the dimension & steel?
    Blade length is about 3" and the steel is 440C. I got some blanks from USAknifemakers (I think) a long while back. The steel for most of their blanks is 440C. The blade is about 2mm thick. I'll measure it and get back to verify.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Jack,

Just wondering, is it (blanks) shipped hardened? If yes, cutting profile will be very tough. If not, where do you sent for HT?

Quote Originally Posted by anagarika View Post
    Jack,

Just wondering, is it (blanks) shipped hardened? If yes, cutting profile will be very tough. If not, where do you sent for HT?
    The blanks are already hardened and ready to cut your tomatoes. The handle scales are shaped to conform to the handle of the knife. When finishing the handle the only steel removed from the blade tang is whatever is needed to become smooth and flush with the scale material. This knife is 440C so while it's an acceptable steel it's not all that hard. By the time I'm sanding the handle material when it is flush with the tang I'm using maybe 220 grit sandpaper. Then I continue in grit progression to 1200 at least. C-TEK should be finished with 1500 or 2000 grit and then polished to get a real good finish.

So, the fixed blade knives I've "made" are simply glueing and/or pinning the scale material on both sides of the handle and grinding or sanding and polishing the handle. This handle has two different C-TEK patterns which increase the difficulty but only by a little. Basic woodwording skills and tools are all that is needed. I did shape the spine of my ZDP-189 Manbug blade to a Jester-like shape using the Dremel and diamond and tungsten carbide cutting accessories (bits). It took a little time but if I can shape heat treated ZDP I think I could cut a blade from any blade steel with a Dremel and appropriate bits before it is heat treated. It would take a lot of time and I may go through several accessories but it could be done, I think.

On the heat treating. I got these knife blanks from usaknifemakers.com I think. They do sell knife blanks that are a rectangle piece of steel of a given type. Several months ago they had M4 rectangle blanks 1.5"x6" (for example) that is not heat treated. Other things came up but I was planning on getting some and cutting the whole knife out, blade and tang, as I see fit then sending it to be heat treated. I don't remember where but I did find a couple of places to send it. I'm sure I asked for suggestions on heat treating companie's on this forum. I found there are several companies that provide heat treating for anyone who will send them a chunk of steel and specs on the heat treat. One company, Phillips Heat Treat, is the company that heat treats the knife blades for Queen. I have a Queen pocket knife and it has PH-D2 and the PH stands for Phillips Heat treat. They created a pretty good D2 blade steel. So far I've played with making fixed blade handles like this paring knife and scales for a few folding knives. Actually making and forming the blade is an entirely different world in "knife making". A lot more experience and tools are needed for that. When I first started playing with making handles and scales (emphasis on PLAYING ) I looked into Murray Carter's knife making classes. I realized that in additions to several thousand dollars of 1 and/or 2 week classed you would need an additional room added to the house if you don't already have a nice workshop or garage. Then comes the belt sanders and blade forging ovens and possibly a heat treat oven, etc. The heat treat could be done elsewhere as already discussed but still, this is a pretty huge undertaking for me. In fact, not possible at the moment. Maybe one day. If I bought a piece of M4 and sent it to Phillips Heat Treat it would come back with an appropriate name like PH-M4. But there may be more to it than that. There usually is.

At my age If I ever do have the money to take on a hobby like knife making, after lots of classes and learning and then the experience to become competent, it would be approximately time for me to kick the bucket. I could form a company though to leave as my legacy. I could call it "sh***iest knives ever, Inc.".

Sorry about my short story answer to a couple of simple questions.
    Jack

Jack,

One of the funniest and light hearted response. Thoroughly enjoying that. In certain aspects, I too found knifemaking isn't a dream to be realized this lifetime, so I sort of relate to that.

Take care and enjoy your knives!