Thread: Just HOW difficult should it be to open the blade on a new Manix 2 G-10 !?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Just HOW difficult should it be to open the blade on a new Manix 2 G-10 !?

Is it necessary to break-in this knife before it will open easier? I actually have a cut (like a paper-cut, but no blood) already on the tip of my thumb from opening this knife with the hole. Or has it possibly been tightened too much? Please let me know your thoughts as this is my first Spyderco knife. Thanks in advance!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Definitely loosen that up, that isn't normal. If that introduces blade-play, don't worry about it and carry it for a couple of days/weeks. Add lube. Once it breaks in, then re-tighten it and you should be good to go.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Between the lock and opening the blade with the hole the tip of my thumb is sore already. How do I loosen it up, please? And which lube should I use. I apologize for the questions, but I am new to carrying a knife. Thank you, Strong-Dog.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    You should be able to open it with your thumb but shouldn't with a brisk shake downward. Basically, you should be able to open it with your weak hand as well.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    Between the lock and opening the blade with the hole the tip of my thumb is sore already. How do I loosen it up, please? And which lube should I use. I apologize for the questions, but I am new to carrying a knife. Thank you, Strong-Dog.
    I would start by taking I believe a T6 or T9 torx bit, and loosen the pivot 1/8 of a turn on each side. Get it to where it is smooth and easy to open. I also recommend nano-oil, as that stuff works wonders and is the best lube I've tried. You can even loosen the pivot all the way, rinse it out, apply nano-oil (or whatever lube you have), then tighten it to where it is easy to open. As it wears in over the next couple of days or weeks, you'll find you'll be able to tighten it down so you have zero blade-play, but it is also much easier to open than it is currently.

Also, don't apologize. We were all new to knives and forums at one point, and had to ask questions to be where we are now. This place is one of the nicer forums on the internet.
    program?

-Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    lots of companies will tighten the pivot before sending the knife so that customs doesn't take it for being a "gravity" knife
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    I would start by taking I believe a T6 or T9 torx bit, and loosen the pivot 1/8 of a turn on each side. Get it to where it is smooth and easy to open. I also recommend nano-oil, as that stuff works wonders and is the best lube I've tried. You can even loosen the pivot all the way, rinse it out, apply nano-oil (or whatever lube you have), then tighten it to where it is easy to open. As it wears in over the next couple of days or weeks, you'll find you'll be able to tighten it down so you have zero blade-play, but it is also much easier to open than it is currently.

Also, don't apologize. We were all new to knives and forums at one point, and had to ask questions to be where we are now. This place is one of the nicer forums on the internet.
    ^ This. . Enjoy the manix; that's a great knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    You should be able to open it with your thumb but shouldn't with a brisk shake downward. Basically, you should be able to open it with your weak hand as well.
    Should one be able to close it after releasing the buttons on the locking mechanism and shaking it (or even without shaking) downwards? I saw this demonstrated in the following video (@ 4:58 ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK976c7vXyA

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    ^ This. . Enjoy the manix; that's a great knife!
    I want to enjoy it as it was a birthday gift. But I due wish that it was a bit looser ! Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    lots of companies will tighten the pivot before sending the knife so that customs doesn't take it for being a "gravity" knife
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post

Thanks, this is very helpful. Where do you recommend that I buy a T6 or T9 torx bit? I really appreciate the advice here on the forum...

Any hardware store will sell them in a set, just like hex/allen wrenches. Not expensive.

As far as the action, I have only owned one manix 2 and it was the LW version. It had a solid/tight lockup but the blade would fall closed under its own weight when I pulled the lock back. So yeah, sounds like yours might be a bit tight. Doesn't take much to adjust it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    i bought a little electricians set at canadian tire that had all the smaller bits for torx and others
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Thanks, this is very helpful. Where do you recommend that I buy a T6 or T9 torx bit? I really appreciate the advice here on the forum...
    First off, I wouldn't quote me on the exact sizes as I'm not 100% sure. However, if you buy a set from an online knife dealer or a hardware store, they should come with all different sizes. But if you are just getting into knives, a torx set and a good lubricant are definitely must haves.
    program?

-Letterman

^
    I will set about acquiring a torx set. And the nano-oil.

^
    I will set about acquiring a torx set. And the nano-oil.
    Husky makes one that most home depots have, should be under 10 dollars and you could get one and not have to wait for one in the mail...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Should one be able to close it after releasing the buttons on the locking mechanism and shaking it (or even without shaking) downwards? I saw this demonstrated in the following video (@ 4:58 ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK976c7vXyA
    All of my Manix have been that freely swinging when the ball bearing is not in contact.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

^
    There's a Home Depot right around the corner from me. Thanks, swigert.