Thread: Bayonets: Good survival knives?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Bayonets: Good survival knives?

I have heard it said, a bayonet is a good survival and outdoor knife, because if it is made for military situations, it has to be hardy enough for civilian outdoors and survival tasks. However, one exception I can see are with bayonets designed specifically to inflict damage to human targets. But the more general purpose ones like the M-9 Bayonet, and even the M-7 and related ones, could be useful for survival purposes and for general cutting chores.

How about combine a bayonet with a Spyderco folder?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    It would make any stick into a spear fairly easily. That said, they tend to have more of that kind of grind so food prep and wood work would be more laborious.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    M-7.... No.

Mine wasn't even heat-treated. Many bayonets aren't heat-treated. They're designed primarily for one thing, turning a rifle into a spear that you don't throw.

The M-9 might be a good choice since I believe that model was intended to be used more as a knife than an actual bayonet. But the M-7 would likely be a very poor choice as an all-around survival knife.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    May I suggest a Glock 81? Cheap, and built for abuse. Or spend $14 and buy a mora robust. Bayonets have one job. If still committed to this quest, look for a sword bayonet that's more than a century old. Carbon steel meant to hit and be hit...

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    "The spirit of the bayonet is to kill". That was the mantra in the US Army's Basic Training in 1966. So, yes, it's a survival knife, if you're under attack. Otherwise, not so much...
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I have better and more useful now but I think back on what I was able to accomplish with my issue bayonet and I'd say one could do a lot worse. I'd probably take it over a monster 10 or 11 inch knife if on foot.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by Editor Emeritus View Post
    May I suggest a Glock 81? Cheap, and built for abuse. Or spend $14 and buy a mora robust. Bayonets have one job. If still committed to this quest, look for a sword bayonet that's more than a century old. Carbon steel meant to hit and be hit...
    The Mora Robust is a superb knife. The Swedish Sandvik Carbon steel is super-quality, and, the price is amazing, and, it is, I believe, their thickest cross-section blade.

Would you then recommend three knives: The bayonet, the Mora Robust, and a Spyderco folder, to people as a survival trio?

I was an avid bushman, but never was big on the survival gig. To me, just basic bushcraft is the biggest hurdle. And your best hand tool will always be an axe. Save yourself the expense and get a good folder because you enjoy them, a Mora for camp tasks and a good small axe and have fun...

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

By definition a Bayonet is not even a Knife. It's a Spear. So it makes a terrible Survival Knife.

Not always something has to be good or nice or even appropriate just because it is used by the military.
    Stay Sharp!

I was an avid bushman, but never was big on the survival gig. To me, just basic bushcraft is the biggest hurdle. And your best hand tool will always be an axe. Save yourself the expense and get a good folder because you enjoy them, a Mora for camp tasks and a good small axe and have fun...
    As a bushman, did you ever hear of or see situations where someone had to defend themselves, with a blade, from a predatory animal, such as a leopard, tiger, or wolf, or similiar animal?

Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it, everyone.

If I had to turn to a knife to defend myself, I think I would be FUBARed...
    Last edited by Editor Emeritus; 05-31-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    I have a Glock 81 survival knife. (Though that's just a marketing label.) Don't get me wrong, it's a good knife based off of the look of a bayonet. But the root saw is not very useful. If the shape appeals, I'd recommend the Glock 78 Field knife instead since it lacks the saw and allows one to choke up on the spine of the blade for finer jobs.

However, despite being somewhat useful and well-priced at around $30 or $35; the blade itself is too narrow while the tip is too thick. Yes, it can be pressed into service as a survival knife. But then again so could quite a few blades. For something dedicated, an ESEE-6 would be an excellent choice as a survival knife.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Hi monocrom. I think your observations are spot on. Just suggested something cheap and tough. My 81 has served me well, but agree the 78 would be better. My money's on the Mora. Had one nearly 40 years ago and rediscovered them about 6 years ago. Great knives. Now where is my damn Opinel?