Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: super blue dragonfly

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Well I did it.... Frankenfly is mine. Needs a bit of adjustment though, I had both backspacers out so I went ahead and swapped em along with the blades. Now the g10 sb combo take way more force than I'm used to to depress the lock bar. The bar also sits slightly below the liners(.005" ish). I think tomorrow I'll swap back the lock bars to see if it fixes things. I'm a bit disappointed though, the finish of the sb lock bar is a bit less polished and added a nice accent stripe the the knife. I'll get up pictures tomorrow -- the pics on my phone are a bit too big and I'm too lazy to set up a imgur account...

Thanks for the pointers jack, it wasn't too bad at all.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Timbo114's Avatar
    SB D'fly and SB Ladybug arrived yesterday.
    DAMN!
    I swear I've never seen a sharper cutting edge than what is on these 2 blades.
    I'm talking professional hand sharpened and/or factory edge.
    I have most of the sprint run steels, Caly 3 SB, and quite a few ZDP blades, but I'm very impressed by these.
    SB Stretch just now purchased!

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar
    I agree this SB dragonfly is sharp !! I just for fun hit mine with my Sharpmaker and ultra fine stones and knives plus leather block strop and omg !!!! It's scarey sharp now !! But anyway love this little jewel and it's so easy to carry in any pocket .

Quote Originally Posted by mehhhhhhhh View Post
    Well I did it.... Frankenfly is mine. Needs a bit of adjustment though, I had both backspacers out so I went ahead and swapped em along with the blades. Now the g10 sb combo take way more force than I'm used to to depress the lock bar. The bar also sits slightly below the liners(.005" ish). I think tomorrow I'll swap back the lock bars to see if it fixes things. I'm a bit disappointed though, the finish of the sb lock bar is a bit less polished and added a nice accent stripe the the knife. I'll get up pictures tomorrow -- the pics on my phone are a bit too big and I'm too lazy to set up a imgur account...

Thanks for the pointers jack, it wasn't too bad at all.
    This was my experience as well, right down to thinking the accent stripe looks nice. I'm also thinking about switching the lock bars back to their original handles. Does anyone know if the lock bars are made of the same material?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    This was my experience as well, right down to thinking the accent stripe looks nice. I'm also thinking about switching the lock bars back to their original handles. Does anyone know if the lock bars are made of the same material?
    Here's an accent stripe I like. I forced a patina on the blade of my Stretch. Check out the spine. There's the same look inside the opening hole. The picture is a little blurry. Looking at the spine it's a lot more distinct.

Here's the blade. I took the picture so you have to look at it.

I assume all the parts including the lockbars are made of the same material. Even the blades. They just stamp different steel types on the tang. Jusk kidding.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

That looks nice Jack. What technique did you use? I've been thinking of forcing a patina on my Dfly because I don't cut anything that would cause it. I'm thinking maybe I should to get ahead of rust.

That looks nice Jack. What technique did you use? I've been thinking of forcing a patina on my Dfly because I don't cut anything that would cause it. I'm thinking maybe I should to get ahead of rust.
    I think I took the blade out but you don't have to do that. I put the blade in vinegar for 5 minutes or so. Then Itook it out and let air get to the steel. Then I'd put it back in the vinegar, then air, then vinegar. I did that for 30 or 40 minutes. The same should work if you stand the knife up in a glass or something and fill the glass with vinegar right to where the handle is. You can also stick the blade in a potatoe for a while. Just about any type of acid food is supposed to work I think. The SB patina's real fast compared to M4 which is the only other steel I've force a patina on. I think I took the blade out to make sure I got a patina on all the SB showing including around the tang and inside the pivot hole. Of course I voided the warranty.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Thanks Jack, I think I'll give it a try.

jack,

that core stripe is awesome - my Stretch does not show it at all
    nor does my D'fly or Ladybug

EDIT ...

I'm so embarrassed that I didn't read each word of your post - stating that you forced the core stripe to form on your blade.
    Last edited by Timbo114; 05-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo114 View Post
    jack,

It's the same steel that is along the edge. You can force a patina if you want. Try using vinegar with a Q-tip or cotton ball or something like that. Wipe the vinegar along the spine and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Do it again. Do it over and over until you get the darkness you want.. Let me try it first. Here is a picture of my d'fly SB spine now. You can see the SB core down the middle of the spine but you have to look real close.

I'll force a patina on the spine and post another pic. It will be in 30 minutes or hour, maybe later.

Jack

Look at the picture of the Stretch blade (side) in post 225. The patina on the SB along the edge was removed from the edge bevel by using a strop. The area above the bevel is the same patina as on the spine. The D'fly is patinaing nicely. Just a few more minutes I think.

Here is the same knife after dabbing the spine with vinegar and letting it sit. I would re-apply vinegar every few minutes then sit the knife down on the table with the spine down to keep the vinegar from dripping down onto the sb along the edge.

Jack

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna give it a go right now

Gph. I switch the lock bars back to their original handles with the blades still frankensteiened and came up with even worse lock bar protrusion issues. I swapped em back again to have the blades with their matching lock bar and still have (hardly) perceptible unevenness. I'm leaving it like this for now, and considering swapping the springs to see if it'll help.

The g10 sb blade has worn into its new home with some use and isn't so stiff anymore. Right now I think I'm happy with the results. We see if I get antsy and swap the springs. If I do I'll let you know how it worked out

I know I still owe everyone a picture too I'll get on that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo114 View Post
    jack,

EDIT ...

I'm so embarrassed that I didn't read each word of your post - stating that you forced the core stripe to form on your blade.
    I had some apple cider vinegar in the pantry.
    It worked like a charm - did the Stretch, D'fly and LB at same time - AWESOME!

Only problem is ... I have scratched the Stretch blade while wiping off the vinegar, and I'm very upset about it.
    There were many metal shavings and some lube at the base of my Stretch blade right outta the box - I wiped it down with a corner of my micro fiber shop rag.
    I guess I used the wrong corner of said rag to wipe vinegar.
    I cannot feel the scratches with my fingernail - they are very fine, but the scream loudly when I look at them.
    This makes me sick to see this.

So how do I remove these scratches?

Step one: use your knife to cut things.

Step two: forget about the scratches.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Yeah, that 420J1 scratches very easily. Just enjoy using it or you'll drive yourself crazy worrying about the inevitable scratches.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat