Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New here, and a comment on benchstones

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2

    New here, and a comment on benchstones

    Hi everyone. I'm new here but haven't been around, which is pretty obvious when looking at my join date
    I originally joined to research a knife, which at the time was the Spyderco Bushcraft. A very beautiful and flawlessly finished knife, and incredibly sharp right out of the box, along with a super comfortable handle.

    Now recently I bought the 2'' x 8'' ceramic benchstones in all three grits. I really like these stones and I'm sure they'll last a lifetime. I don't think so much of the cases that they come in though. While nicely made with great non skid bases, they have a problem, at least for me. I think they would be much better if they were made much shallower, because in use I find that I can't sharpen the full length of the blade. If the cases were designed to raise the stone higher then that little problem would be resolved.
    Anyone else find this to be a problem? If so, any ideas for making sharpening the full blade length easier?
    Thanks all, any help is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by bb07 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new here but haven't been around, which is pretty obvious when looking at my join date
    I originally joined to research a knife, which at the time was the Spyderco Bushcraft. A very beautiful and flawlessly finished knife, and incredibly sharp right out of the box, along with a super comfortable handle.

    Now recently I bought the 2'' x 8'' ceramic benchstones in all three grits. I really like these stones and I'm sure they'll last a lifetime. I don't think so much of the cases that they come in though. While nicely made with great non skid bases, they have a problem, at least for me. I think they would be much better if they were made much shallower, because in use I find that I can't sharpen the full length of the blade. If the cases were designed to raise the stone higher then that little problem would be resolved.
    Anyone else find this to be a problem? If so, any ideas for making sharpening the full blade length easier?
    Thanks all, any help is much appreciated.
    I was frustrated by this same problem. I came up with a cheap, easy solution that I am still using to this day. I sacrificed an old cheap mouse pad (who really uses those now anyway) and sliced it to match the profile of the stone. Now the stones set just high enough to allow the edge of the stone to hit the heel right against the plunge.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Johnnie1801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    127
    Welcome to the forum
    Jon

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks guys

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Halfneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Calhoun, Georgia.
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I was frustrated by this same problem. I came up with a cheap, easy solution that I am still using to this day. I sacrificed an old cheap mouse pad (who really uses those now anyway) and sliced it to match the profile of the stone. Now the stones set just high enough to allow the edge of the stone to hit the heel right against the plunge.
    Thanks for the great idea!

    My primary sharpening system right now is the Spyderco medium grit ceramic stone. I'd not run into any sharpening issues until I tried to sharpen some of my slipjoints. On a lot of the smaller pen blades the case was interfering with me getting the proper angle. I was just removing the stone from the case and resting it on my desk top. Your idea will work a lot better.
    "A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by bb07 View Post
    Thanks guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfneck View Post
    Thanks for the great idea!

    My primary sharpening system right now is the Spyderco medium grit ceramic stone. I'd not run into any sharpening issues until I tried to sharpen some of my slipjoints. On a lot of the smaller pen blades the case was interfering with me getting the proper angle. I was just removing the stone from the case and resting it on my desk top. Your idea will work a lot better.
    Glad I could help!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Forest, VA
    Posts
    1,548
    I'd been taking my stone out and resting it on top of the case but it did get slippery. Now to find an old mousepad. Thanks!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

    Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

    Chris

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    7,716
    I have always hated that you can't take the lid off and use the base as a stone holder. It's ok for a chef's knife and some knives like that but for smaller knives and folders I need to take it out. I like the mouse pad idea. I may try that. Til now I've been usinga "Universal bench stone" I got on CKTG. I need something like that when using water stones. I use if for the Spyderco stones also. But, a mouse pad might prevent me from getting my stone holder out for a quick touch up. And like someone said they aren't used much anymore and we have them laying around. The mice in our house use them for their naps.

    Here is my stone on the stone holder. If you can see it on each of the end pieces I cut a notch for a stone to sit in a little higher than normal. I did that so I could lay the 6" EP stones on there and use them for my razor. That raises the stone surface higher than the rubber ends. Actually, the stone sitting on top of the rubber pieces is about as good. It stays put great.



    Jack
    PS
    Can you put the lid on the box with the stone and mouse pad both in there? Doesn't seem like it would fit.

    My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Can you put the lid on the box with the stone and mouse pad both in there? Doesn't seem like it would fit.
    NO, you can not put the cover back on with the mouse pad in place. If I had my way, I would redesign the lid to be deeper and expose more of the stone when removed.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    533
    Yeah, the base should be shorter and the lid longer, depth wise!

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Grain Valley, Missouri
    Posts
    9,277

    More than one way to hold a Benchstone

    That Stone Holder that "jackknife" has shown in the pic is a nice way to go with Benchstones regardless of who makes them. The Garrett Wade Company is a woodworking tool supply company and they sell that same stone holder. I've had mine for about 5 years now and love it.

    Also you can get 1/4 inch thick sheet rubber from most plumbing supply houses and they provide a non skid base for your stones too. I do like Spyderco's 302 Benchstones and I use mine quite frequently.

    What I really loved about the older/discontinue Spyderco 701 Profiles is their versatility. I can use those stones anywhere at anytime.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    That Stone Holder that "jackknife" has shown in the pic is a nice way to go with Benchstones regardless of who makes them. The Garrett Wade Company is a woodworking tool supply company and they sell that same stone holder. I've had mine for about 5 years now and love it.

    Also you can get 1/4 inch thick sheet rubber from most plumbing supply houses and they provide a non skid base for your stones too. I do like Spyderco's 302 Benchstones and I use mine quite frequently.

    What I really loved about the older/discontinue Spyderco 701 Profiles is their versatility. I can use those stones anywhere at anytime.
    The thing I would have loved most to modify about the 701 profile stones would have been an angle cut (as opposed to square) end to allow for the indexing of the stones at @ 30 degree and 40 degree angle.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,227
    I used a mousepad and some double sided tape a mounted it to the top of the case. So when I sharpen I just take the stone out, close the case up and set the stone on top that will give you about 2 1/2 inches of clearance between your sharpening surface and the table

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Grain Valley, Missouri
    Posts
    9,277
    Quote Originally Posted by .357 mag View Post
    I used a mousepad and some double sided tape a mounted it to the top of the case. So when I sharpen I just take the stone out, close the case up and set the stone on top that will give you about 2 1/2 inches of clearance between your sharpening surface and the table
    Mousepad mounting never even occured to me but I can see the advantages of using them on benchstones. Actually that 1/4 inch thick sheet rubber I referred to I'm sure does a similar job. But it never hurts to check out something new and different. I was just looking at the Japan Woodworker catalog the other day and noticed a loose compound you can use with Benchstones and I bet that would be helpful as well.

    I've often wondered if mousepads wouldn't also make a great set up for a strop of some sort??

    Another thing I really love about Spyderco's 302 Benchstones are the ease of cleanup. I just soak them in "Overnight Dawn" dishwashing liquid and then scrub them with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser. Storage is no problem either because that set of 3 takes up very little space.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,540
    I typically take the stone out of the case and lie it at an angle so it doesn't sit down into the case.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,227
    [QUOTE=JD Spydo;947894[.I've often wondered if mousepads wouldn't also make a great set up for a strop[/QUOTE]



    Yup.. They work great. I've been using this one for about a year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •