Thread: Enuff Sheath Update

Administrator

Enuff Sheath Update

After learning that some customers were having an issue with the retention of their Enuff sheaths, we sat down with our engineers and our Japanese maker to analyze the problem and address it. Based on that analysis, we redesigned the mouth of the sheath to increase its purchase and tension on the knife handle. We also added a small pin to apply pressure to the spine of the blade and eliminate movement or rattling of the knife in the sheath.

After receiving the improved sheaths, we tested them extensively and approved them. They began shipping with all Enuff orders in March. Odds are, if you have purchased or received an Enuff in the past month, it already has the improved sheath.

If you own an Enuff with a first-generation sheath and have had an issue with its retention, you can exchange it for a second-generation sheath. Please send the sheath only (there's no need to send the knife), along with your return shipping address, a daytime phone number, and a brief note requesting the replacement to:

Spyderco, Inc.
    ATTN: Warranty and Repair
    820 Spyderco Way
    Golden, CO 80403 U.S.A.

Thank you for your patience and support while we addressed this issue.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Hello Michael,

Do these newer FRN sheaths dull the knives on the insert/draw? I used to own a Rock Salt and my brother has a few Aquas that have this problem. Thanks.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Thumbs up

That sounds great that Spyderco is always trying to improve things.

I too remember a few other folks having issues with their knives dulling on insert/extraction, had not seen the issues with retention. I have a couple of Enuff's, and have not had any issues with retention or dulling with mine so far, perhaps because I had heard of the issues and am always conscious of the possibility, so I tend to pull it out in a way to keep pressure *away* from the edge.

So I don't need to exchange mine, but am happy that Spyderco is trying to keep their customer's needs in mind! Thumbs up!
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Freediver's Avatar
    Thanks for the update Michael, and thanks for listening.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Hello Michael,

Do these newer FRN sheaths dull the knives on the insert/draw? I used to own a Rock Salt and my brother has a few Aquas that have this problem. Thanks.
    In the old days of leather sheaths, the two sides of the sheath were separated by a welt of thicker leather that protected the stitching from being cut by the blade's edge. Since leather is soft, if the edge contacted it on the blade's way in or out of the sheath, the effect was negligible.

Most molded Kydex sheaths are two-piece or foldover construction with the seam on the edge side. They don't have a welt and even if you try, it's difficult to get the edge all the way into the crease of the seam to dull it.

Molded polymer sheaths combine the inner cavity of the welt-style construction with a material that is much harder than leather. If you draw your knife and drag the edge along the inside of the sheath, you will dull the edge. The key to NOT doing this is to use proper technique, which is to consciously index the spine of the blade on the inside of the sheath and ride it in while maintaining pressure with the spine.

For the record, this applies to all polymer sheaths, regardless of manufacturer, as well as traditional wooden sheaths and scabbards.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mike Sastre's Avatar
    Definitely agree with you, Mike. Straight in, straight out. Any twist in the motion either way (off-axis) will drag the edge on the inside of the sheath. Key words: proper technique.
    Mike
    www.RiverCitySheaths.com

"Kitchen Kydex" DVD sets available. http://rivercitysheaths.com/dvd.html

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Hmm, we tend to be fairly cautious with installing/removing a blade from one of these. I guess I'll avoid them in the future.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Guess I need to grab one then
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jim Malone's Avatar
    Just received my Enuff H1 sheepsfoot blade. Retention is great, i like the new sheath!
    It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6

Spyderco Forum Registered User captnvegtble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Malone View Post
    Just received my Enuff H1 sheepsfoot blade. Retention is great, i like the new sheath!
    Can you post a picture of the difference?