Thread: The remainder.........Appreciation

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar

The remainder.........Appreciation

At one point in time I owned 50+ Spydercos Over the past couple of years I've slimmed down a bit for a variety of reasons.

I gravitated to Spyderco because I perceived quality in the simple folding machines they produce. It only took one $100 purchase.

I've slimmed down to these few folders, not counting the Bug in the wallet or the D'Fly Salt on my key chain. In each and every model I feel and experience the same as I did after my initial $100 purchase 4+ years ago. It's been 4 years, I can recognize a trend The production and workmanship continues to impress and the variety of steel options is fascinating.

Looking at the one's that are left I feel no regrets The ones sold or given have found appreciative homes The rest have edges that scare the typical NKP

Has anyone else been forced to part with a bunch of Spydies?? Why did you gravitate to Spyderco? Just a bit of food for thought...................
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I had over 25 at one point including 12 paramilitaries, but I found having a smaller group of knives that get used more often to be better and more enjoyable.
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    I've never been forced to part with any, but yet I still have. If I'm not using something, it'll get sold. I like to have knives that I can use.

I guess I gravitated towards Spyderco mainly because of their value. No other company gives you as much quality, materials, or just plain knife for the money. Also, they are willing to work with ideas and materials that no one else will. For the most part their knives perform very well at cutting. They also give us give us things like the Mule Team project and sprint runs and exclusives that I love.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User v8r's Avatar
    I know what you mean. I used to be a collector/user , but in the last few years I have slimmed down the herd. I had to sell a lot of my sprint run models because my family needed the money, and I have given a few away to close friends and family members that needed a good knife. I can also say that I have infected at least two people with the Spyderco bug that I know of along the way. I have kept the knives that I truly love, mean something, or that bring back memories in some way, and have gotten rid of the rest. I still buy a new Spyderco every once in a while, but really think before purchasing, make sure it is really what I want, and make sure it is practical for my purposes.
    In a nut shell sometimes it takes a little while to figure out what is important, learn to spread the love, and to pass on things we don't need.
    V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    For a while, I bought one a month because I'm on a monthly pay period. I studied every part of each one judiciously and meticulously. They're like watches to me, I like to see what makes them tick. Then, I took a shot at it. After that, I've thinned the herd to the designs with what I consider to be the biggest leaps forward in either lock or ergonomics, so I'm at 10.

I just signed up for a dealer account though, so my number is going to go up a bit, at least for this year.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tdog's Avatar
    I've thinned mine down to the point I'm not sure how many I have. +1 today, I've always liked blue.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I used to have a bunch of Spydie's like PM2 sprints, couple rarer or harder to find folders and set of Delica's in all the colors, some other models as well as some Spydie benchstone's, sharpmaker's, etc. but had to sell just about all of them to help pay for an unexpected/unplanned bill. Still not out of the hole all the way but made great progress. I have sold alot of other stuff too but the fact is it is getting harder as I am almost completing out of Spydie's but one or two and the only items left to part with are Leatherman's and some Vic's that don't seem to sell as good or as fast!

Life goes on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidState View Post
    For a while, I bought one a month because I'm on a monthly pay period. I studied every part of each one judiciously and meticulously. They're like watches to me, I like to see what makes them tick. Then, I took a shot at it. After that, I've thinned the herd to the designs with what I consider to be the biggest leaps forward in either lock or ergonomics, so I'm at 10.

I just signed up for a dealer account though, so my number is going to go up a bit, at least for this year.
    How does one sign up for a dealer account or the club that gets numbered knives?
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User BDNX's Avatar
    I've sold some....partly out of necessisity....partly just to get funds for another Spydie. Haven't let go of any that have true sentimental value to me though...
    -Scott

-The Cult Of The Curved Ones - C.O.T.C.O.

- got salt?

My Spydies: Sharpmaker Tasman Salt Saver Salt Spyderhawk Salt Pacific Salt Black Blade Ladybug Hawkbill Salt Ladybug Salt Dragonfly Salt Salt 1 CF Balance Meerkat Sprint Harpy Squeak Manix 2 Ltwt Pingo Ladybug ZDP-189 Blue UKPK Manbug Tusk

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    I've never sold any Spydies, but I have given several away over the years. Charlie has a good point, though. Seems like the more Spydies I get, the less time I have to really enjoy them. (Working in an office environment really puts a crimp on me in terms of carrying my bigger Spydies ). What drew me to Spyderco? Well, basically, they were different and unusual--unlike anything else I'd ever seen. I like things that are different, unusual, or even odd. I'm not sure why, it's just the way I am.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    I'm still on the upswing I guess. I bought my first Spyderco last January and have averaged about one a month since. For me, the diversity of designs is just stunning. So many that I want to get to know, lol. I just scanned the 2014 catalog and there are close to 100 current production models, and that's NOT even attempting to account for variants and sprints. I know I will get to a point where I want to cull the herd, but I'm definitely not there yet

Kiwi, Manix, Yo2, another Mule... are just a few on the "try it out" list.
    -Nate

Persistence, UKPK, Forum Native, South Fork, Cruwear Millitary, SB Stretch, SB Caly 3.5, UKPK,
    Chaparral, 3 Para2's, Lefty Military, K390 Mule, Caly Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    How does one sign up for a dealer account or the club that gets numbered knives?
    numbered knives are collector's club. You can find that on their web page. You can also find out what it takes to be a dealer:
    http://www.spyderco.com/dealers/requirements.php
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Hey Charlie,

What about fixed blades? How many of those did you keep? IIRC, and by the picture, we have a lot of tastes in common.
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar

This was my collection at one point plus a few other Spydies not pictured. I now have only seven Spyderco knives.

I've grown my collection slowly, and I've hit the nail on the head with most of my purchases. Each one fills a particular niche, and each one gets its share of use. I've sold one and given away one that I didn't use/need, but my collection hasn't seen a major reduction at any point. I can see, though, how over time even prudent purchases could make a collection grow past what I could use on a regular basis.

You mean it's actually possible to *sell* a knife?

Other than a few knives that I specifically bought to gift to friends/relatives, I haven't been able to bring myself to part with any. Even though I might buy a "spare" such as the CF/M390 Military and justify myself of its purchase by saying "I can always sell it for more than I paid for it", I haven't been able to bring myself to sell one.

But with my count now up to somewhere around 220 or 230 Spydies (plus a hundred or so others) when I think about the average price I've paid for each, I've managed to slow down my acquisitions a little bit -- or at least I tell myself I've slowed down, after just buying a couple S110V Manix's and a SB Dragonfly in the last 10 days...
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Now thats more like it rodloos. A man after my own heart.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidState View Post
    Hey Charlie,

What about fixed blades? How many of those did you keep? IIRC, and by the picture, we have a lot of tastes in common.
    Hello SolidState....I only kept 3 fixed blades, my most used, The SB Mule, modified VG-10 damascened Mule, and the Caspian Salt. All like the rest quite delightfully sharp

Hopefully I'll be trying out more Spydies in the future, but right now the middle class including myself needs a bit more of a leg up than we've been getting over the past 5 to 10 years.
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"