Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caly 3.5 superblue bladeplay

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Because this thing is pinned and sending it in for warranty work is difficult from outside the u.s., I think I'm just going to roll with it. It's not really a performance or safety issue as is and if it gets worse down the road I'll figure out a way to send it in and see if they can tighten it up.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    I did this on mine by popping the blade out and then rotating the lock bar inward so the locking face was coming out the front (finger section) of the handle. I pinched the end of the lock bar between the corners of my vice and gave it a bit of a squeeze. It shored up my lock rock.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    This thread has some good information on lockup/fit.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I have contemplated having the lockbar face carbidized in the past. This would allow the tolerances to be tightened in the contact area, but I have no really experience or actual success to report.
    I like this idea the most, my 3.5 zdp has a hair of up/down but nothing that bugs me. If it ever gets worse or a carbidizer is laying around it will be done.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    I recently got a caly 3.5 in sb and though I love the knife, it seems to have an excessive amount of vertical blade play. My only other lockbacks are the salts and they all have a tiny amount of vertical play, but this caly has much more. I just wanted to check with you guys and see if this is a normal or "acceptable" amount of play. If it is normal for this knife then I have no problem living with it, it just seems pretty loose and I wanted to make sure it's within normal tolerances. Rather than trying to describe how much play I did my best to capture it on video. If you've got headphones or decent speakers you can hear it clicking.

P.S. Please excuse the right hand fingernails...Classical guitar.

Yep, both of the NIB Caly 3.5's I've purchased have this issue. Both are VG-10. I can't believe how much praise this knife gets, especially considering all the play issues I've read about. None of my other lock-back Spyderco's have this issue, nor does any of my $15 Ka-Bar folders.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Yep, both of the NIB Caly 3.5's I've purchased have this issue. Both are VG-10. I can't believe how much praise this knife gets, especially considering all the play issues I've read about. None of my other lock-back Spyderco's have this issue, nor does any of my $15 Ka-Bar folders.
    I've only handled one, and it was literally perfect in every way. However, this knife does get tons of praise, and I would still rather have a manix or para.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman