Thread: Native 5 g-10...where can I find one?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Native 5 g-10...where can I find one?

I tracked down the yo2 which leaves me with just one more "I need this" knife. I love every thing about my manix2 except that the lock is hard to operate with wet oil covered hands. Enter my love of the native. But I want the g-10 version cause I prefer the build of if the g-10 and steel. So where can I find one

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Have you handled one before? I really like the knife, but the handle is very small. Almost impossible to get a good grip without using the choil at least on the XHP one I have.

That aside, if you have handled one before and are sure of your love for it, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the carbon fiber S110V model coming out. Lighter, more "grippy", and MUCH better steel. Should cost you around $200, but for what you are getting it's pretty much a steal relative to the rest of the production folder's market.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    Have you handled one before? I really like the knife, but the handle is very small. Almost impossible to get a good grip without using the choil at least on the XHP one I have.

That aside, if you have handled one before and are sure of your love for it, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the carbon fiber S110V model coming out. Lighter, more "grippy", and MUCH better steel. Should cost you around $200, but for what you are getting it's pretty much a steal relative to the rest of the production folder's market.
    +1 on waiting for the cf model
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

I just saw 2 of them on (in?) the bay.

XHP? Well that one isn't a Native 5, the forum Native is (and the S35V black G10).

The CF will be a classy, high value, optical and materialwise masterpiece. If you plan on using it with oily/greasy hands or gloves peel ply G10 offers a lot of traction-more than the smooth CF used in some Golden made models.
    Hope this helps.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    IIRC the CF/s110v Native will be peel-ply CF, so grip should be similar to g10.

I concur that there are a couple on the bay for around $150, which isn't terrible. I would personally wait for the CF though, except I already have the forum version

Another thought, Knifeworks currently has the best price I've seen for the futed ti Native, $230-ish with their sale this weekend...
    -Nate

Persistence, UKPK, Forum Native, South Fork, Cruwear Millitary, SB Stretch, SB Caly 3.5, UKPK,
    Chaparral, 3 Para2's, Lefty Military, K390 Mule, Caly Jr.

I actually would like to get the Native 5 in S35V, and I don't want to pay the price penalty for S110V. I have a kitchen knife in S35V and it is easy to sharpen, with good performance. I have been happy with the performance that I get from S30V blades.
    While S110V is exotic, I am still waiting for the standard Native 5 in S35V. I regret not getting one when they were available.

While I think the cf will look classy I would prefer the g-10 model. My job only allows 3 in blade max and work with greedy oily hands very offen so I prefer the grip of g-10. I'll have to go check the bay. Thanks guys

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    It is a great knife currently my favorite. But super hard to find unfortunately.
    My 's
    Pm2(1), manix2 LW, salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10(3), manbug, ladybug, sage 3(2), citadel 83mm, embassy

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Commendatore View Post
    I just saw 2 of them on (in?) the bay.

XHP? Well that one isn't a Native 5, the forum Native is (and the S35V black G10).

The CF will be a classy, high value, optical and materialwise masterpiece. If you plan on using it with oily/greasy hands or gloves peel ply G10 offers a lot of traction-more than the smooth CF used in some Golden made models.
    Hope this helps.
    The CF on the N5 will be peelply
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    My peel ply carbon fiber pm2 is more grippy than my camo g10 pm2.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    My peel ply carbon fiber pm2 is more grippy than my camo g10 pm2.
    I found the camo g10 less grippy than the solid colored g10 paras. but that could have been my imagination

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    National Knives has the G10 Native in stock at $117

And ordered! Thank you!

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealtwitch View Post
    And ordered! Thank you!
    No problem I hope you enjoy your Native. If I didn't just buy 3 knives this week I'd get one too. I'm kinda jealous.

Lol so did I. Just don't tell the wife!

Got it in the mail today. Thanks again for helping find it!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Really nice pics there 'twitch! Enjoy the Native, it has many ardent supporters here! Anxiously awaiting the CF S110V version myself!

Ahem Sal, what's the hold up with these? All those lightweight FRN Manix 2's gobble up all that S110V stock? You have been viciously teasing us for too long! Any enlightenment you can share would be much appreciated by your loyal Native fan club! Thanks, Radioactive
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King