Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you send it back to Spyderco?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yeah, OK then don't bend a bent thing straight for fear of getting your blouse dirty.
    Seriously fellas, it is just such a small adjustment of the pivot area at the tang & anyone who is a knife maker does this on a daily basis. Granted, the blade has not been hardened & tempered at this stage but many times it may have been. The blade is not glass nor is it brittle, it is tempered steel & well able to bend.
    I am not going to give a tutorial to the inexperianced here in case you mess it up. But to me who is an auto body repairer (panel beater) & has training in blacksmithing & metal fabrication the most time consuming part of a job like this is removing & refitting the blade. I take to Rolls Royces & Renaults, Fiats & Ferraris, Fords & Chev's with a gas axe & hammer & wear a Can't tear em shirt. Don't let fear stop you.
    So Liquid Cobra I am saying that this is a simple job for someone who is a knifemaker & I know of many shade tree mechanics who would do this without blinking an eye.
    Some of them might even warm the side of the tang that they want the blade to move over toward & quench it thereby slightly shrinking that side. He might even use his ciggarette lighter for warming & know not to heat more than 450 F or he may ruin the temper.
    Oft times engineers & technitians over think things.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I'm sorry O, this is only something I'd try with an annealed blade.

What hardness does Ford shoot for in its quarter panels? Two very different sets of material properties between hot rolled steel sheet and a properly HT'd blade.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    If the blade is not rubbing the liners then I would use it. If it were rubbing the liner and I really wanted to have the SuperBlue Caly 3.5 then I would open the blade, put it in a vise, and carefully bend it in the opposite direction. I would get the blade as far down in the vise as possible so it bends the blade close to the bottom. This only needs to be done very slightly.

I'm not huge on SuperBlue and would rather have S110V, CPM-M4, CPM-D2 or ZDP-189 so I would send it back if it were mine.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

[QUOTE=David Lowry;936600] This only needs to be done very slightly.

[/QUOTE
    Yes David, so slighlly, ever so slightly, barely noticable at the tang will give heaps of movement at the tip.
    Uri Geller could do it with one hand tied behind his back.
    Anyone here ever heard of cold setting motor vehicle leaf springs where a leaf spring is bent back to its curve in a press. The material difference with your super blue blade & the leaf spring is immaterial.
    Just don't make this job too hard.
    Try it yourselves, get a spanner, clamp it in a vice & tap it over with a hammer. It will bend, not snap. The spanner is made from a drop forged & heat treated piece of carbon steel. Not a Ford quarter panel. Many mechanics have a few bent spanners in their tool kit that they bent for a special purpose & they never snap off in use.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I've never tested the hardness of a wrench/spanner but I'm of the opinion they'd be HT/tempered for a higher toughness vs high hardness. It'd be like comparing a garden shovel's temper to a knife blade's. Any more cold-work on a high-hardness blade is just going to add stress.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Its only a knife.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    O, just, O,

In this case, you're just plain wrong. The knives are warped on the heat treat, near the tip. You can try to bend them back, I have. I've used vices, I've used sword-bending equipment and I've used notched boards. The knife has gone back over time. Unless I anneal the blade and ruin the heat treat, it can't just be bent. You're simply wrong, and you have no clue what you're talking about here. I'm not being a sissy, I've tried to bend it to true. It doesn't have anything to do with the pivot. The bend begins about 2/3rds down the blade. The pivot area, and 2/3rds of the blade are fine. Messing with the pivot does nothing.

I stepped it up and just reground mine. It is now a laser, and is still off center. I took about 3/100ths off of the right side of the blade, and it is still moderately bent. That's fine though, I'll take a slightly warped laser. It's as sharp as sharp gets.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Thanks for that SolidState. You have actually tried this & now know what happens. I thank you for that information & defer to you.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O,just,O View Post
    Thanks for that SolidState. You have actually tried this & now know what happens. I thank you for that information & defer to you.
    O.
    Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy your "grow-a-pair" themed commentary.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Worse, *if* you could bend the tip back to a different angle the damage done to its microstructure would be horrible. Regrinding is making lemonade out of lemons (and adding vodka ).

Bending tempered steel is less like fixing a fender or leaf spring and more like fixing a badly warped engine block.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Apparently many if these have had the same issue. Did most people just live with it?
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

This is why we are many.
    Together we can work it out.
    I don't actualy have this caly but I do have one of the Burgundy Caly 3 ZDP-189/420J2 laminated jobs which were also noted to have a warped blade. Mine has a gentle right curve for the length of the blade with the tip centred.
    I choose to just live with it. It looks a bit weird but does not touch the scales anywhere.
    O.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Kept it, out it to work on some mango tonight. Patina formed almost instantly. I forced the &$@# out of my caly 3 SB so this one will be o'natural!

Thanks again.

Untitled by liquid cobra, on Flickr
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.