Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you send it back to Spyderco?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar

Would you send it back to Spyderco?

I've tried adjusting my new Caly 3.5 SB but it's centering is way off and there is nothing I can do. I created a thread about it and you guys were kind enough to offer some advice but nothing has worked.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...ing&highlight=

I spoke with someone at the repair department and they suggested sending it in for them to have a look at. They said if they couldn't fix it and it was defective that they sometimes replace the knife but since this is a sprint they would just replace the value of the knife. I definitely do not want tem to keep it or replace it with cash!

Would you send it in? It feels like a gamble to me since I'm in Canada and there is the border to deal with. The cost of shipping is also seething to consider. Has anyone has success with getting Spyderco to fix a blade centering issue?

The way the blade is now I can't use it so it just sits on the shelf which is a shame. Let me be clear that I in no way care if a blade is off center unless it is so off that the knife is unusable due to scrapping the liners. This knife isn't quite there yet but opening it right handed puts that extra bit of pressure it needs to touch.

Any input is appreciated.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Believe it or not, I have the exact same issue with the exact same knife. I am not sending it in because I can't get another, and I know they can't fix it if I can't. I feel your pain.

I think there was something with the heat treat that warped the tips out on some of those blades. Nothing I have done to it has taken out the set that's in the bent 1/2" or so at the end.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yeah, mine is warped a bit by the tip. Doesn't bother me.

That does sound like the exact same issue. I put a regular VG-10 caly 3.5 blade into my grey handle and it's perfectly centered.

Thanks fellas.
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    If you won't use it then you may as well. What good is it sitting in a box?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    The knife is pinned except at the pivot so there isn't much adjusting that she can do. Like you said, it is a sprint and Disco'd so if they decide that the centering is not within spec and they can't adjust it, you will have the option to get a replacement from Spydercos lineup at the SB 3.5's full MSRP, or they will simply send you back the knife.

I had a SB 3.5 with a grossly protruding lock switch and those are the options I was given. I chose to just take it back but I traded it because I couldnt stand it. Now I'm down to one SB 3.5 it's the pinned construction, not much they can do.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    If it was something that bothered me as much as this appears to bother you, I'd send it in. However, I'm in the US so I can't really say how I'd go if I had a border and Customs to contend with. AFAIK, if a knife cannot be fixed, it's always been Spyderco's policy to ask first whether you want it back, as is, or want credit. If fear of losing you knife is all that's holding you back, you might want to call and confirm that's still at least possible.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    If you're not going to use it, and it's an annoyance, you might as well send it in and get something else that satisfies you with the $$.

Or, sell or trade it with full disclosure and get something else.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Selling or trading locally may be a great option. I sold my Para 2 that I acid etched for too long and created so much blade play that the blade jiggled when it was locked open. I put it up for sale with all the details and the guy who bought it said I made it out like it was a big deal and said he didn't see a problem with it. It literally jigged just by shaking it in one hand, didn't even have to touch the blade. Not everyone sweats the details like us knife nuts.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Perhaps Holland will want to trade you for something he has if you can live without the SB
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Sorry about your issues with your Caly 3.5, as I feel for you, since I had issues with both Caly's that I've purchased. I am trying to sell mine, but because I'm being honest and telling people it has up/down/vertical blade play, no one wants it. Who can blame them.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

If I sell it or send it to spyderco for the value (should they offer) I know I will just end up searching once again for this knife.

I think my best bet is to just put it to work and learn to not care. My OCD needs a good smack anyway.

I'm glad I created this thread. I had the knife all boxed up and ready to go but I wanted to see what you guys thought first. I'm going to hang onto it. In terms of "Grail" knives, this one was a close second so I can't let it go.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    I think my best bet is to just put it to work and learn to not care. My OCD needs a good smack anyway.
    I have been trying to do that for over a year now, and I haven't figured it out. Reading this thread had me back on youtube trying to figure out how to straighten the thing. Now, I'm convinced I should send it in to Spyderco.
    Yargle bargle.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Some knives can't be straightened. I had a couple of Benchmades with warped blades - replacement was the only solution. I have two Para2 sprints on my desk here that I'm going to disassemble and check with a machinist's straight edge because there is no amount of wizardry that's going to get them aligned by tweaking the handle and pivot screws. It's a bummer when it happens with a sprint.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I would prob spend the money on a regrind. That will make ya some room, center it, and it will slice like a friggin laser .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

I would likely send it in, I don't think you'll fully appreciate it as it is now. Where did you buy it?

Perhaps save the trade-in allowance for the future and buy yourself another of this knife when one comes up for sale on an exchange.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    If the blade clears the liners use the hell out of it.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    If I sell it or send it to spyderco for the value (should they offer) I know I will just end up searching once again for this knife.

I'm glad I created this thread. I had the knife all boxed up and ready to go but I wanted to see what you guys thought first. I'm going to hang onto it. In terms of "Grail" knives, this one was a close second so I can't let it go.
    I think that's a good plan. And you never know. The little issue may force you to view the knife as more of a "user" and you might end up enjoying it way more because of that. It's happened to me before. You've just got to get over the mental bs.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    If it was unusable, I would probably send it in.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

So your blade is warped, then un warp it.
    Bend the thing straight.
    There are many ways to do this after a carefull diagnosis of where to do the straghtening.
    O.