Thread: Still having problems with the WE...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar

Still having problems with the WE...

I have an angle cube, I check the verticality of the blade and the angle. I spend the same amount of time on both sides. My edge will whittle hair, but one side of the edge is always bigger than the other. Any ideas guys?

I also had one other random question, can inserting a knife into a kydex sheath dull it? If I put a hair whittling edge on my Scrapivore, should I only take it out when I absolutely need to to preserve that edge? Thanks
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    If you spend the same amount of time on each side then the edges will only be the same if they came that way from the factory, and most don't. Almost all my knives have different angles on each side of the bevel where one side is steeper than the other out of the box. This really shows up when you reprofile. If you want them to truly match on each side then you may have to spend some extra time correcting one side or the other to get them to even out.

Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    If you spend the same amount of time on each side then the edges will only be the same if they came that way from the factory, and most don't. Almost all my knives have different angles on each side of the bevel where one side is steeper than the other out of the box. This really shows up when you reprofile. If you want them to truly match on each side then you may have to spend some extra time correcting one side or the other to get them to even out.
    Sigh. Guess I'll try that on the next knife that needs sharpened. The Scrapivore I got today had a pitiful edge on it. It wouldn't even cut printer paper.
    program?

-Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Sharpie trick?
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    Sharpie trick?
    Yes, I use sharpie all the time. It seems like I've removed most/all of the variables, but somehow my edges are not even on both sides. They can whittle hair with some stropping though, so do you think I should just suck it up and deal?
    program?

-Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I tried to explain this in your other thread but perhaps it was unclear, your problem sharpening a blade as thick as a sykco is caused by the left side of the vice being static. When you clamp a thick knife, the dead centre of the edge will be offset to the right. What you need to do is put the knife in the vice, stop, take some measurements, work out where the edge is in relation to the vice dead centre and adjust the arms to suit. On my busse tglb I move both arms 1deg to the right, for example, if you wanted an even 20dps bevel, set the left arm to 19deg and the right to 21deg.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Strong-Dog - I was smiling as I was reading your post. I scratched my head over this very same problem for a couple of years, and finally resigned myself to uneven bevels.

Then, one day it hit me out of the blue - my bench wasn't quite level! (especially when I was leaning on it while sharpening) I layed the AngleCube on the workbench and hit the "Zero" button. Then I measured the angle of the stones relative to the edge. Perfect. It's amazing what a small degree off true level can make to the edge of a good knife...

Good luck!
    TedP

w3tnz and phillipsted, thanks for your input. I will both zero to my bench, and I will try putting one side at 19 degrees and one at 21 degrees for example. I did try setting both arms at different angles, but I never set on side under what I wanted and one side over what I wanted.
    program?

-Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Another possibility for bevels that are not the same width is that the edge is not in the center of the blade. Picture a wood chisel. The edge apex is 100% on one side of the blade. If you can determine the angle on the beveled side in reference to and imaginary line through the chisel blade that would be the same imaginary line from the CENTERof the spine through the middle of the blade to the center of the edge on your knife. If the angles on both sides are the same in reference to the line through the center of the blade and the edge apex is not at the 50% spot in reference to the center of the spine the bevels will be uneven. Look at the blade edge from the heel to the tip. See if it looks like the edge apex, the part that is sharp, is in the center of the blade. Again, a chisel is the perfect example of what I'm thinking of. If this is the case you just need to remove more steel from the side that is narrower. As you do this the edge will "move" toward the center of the blade and the bevels will be the same width when the edge is in the middle of the blade. That is if the angle on each side is the same.

I've never used a WE but I did have a DMT aligner and I remember a similar situation because the clamp did not hold the blade at a 90 angle with the rods that the stone holders would slide through. As I read your post that is what I was thinking the issue may be. The blade wasn't being clamped properly. The plastic aligner clamp would hold different spine shapes in different positions and angles. The edges could whittle the whittles on a hair (almost ). But the bevels on my Endura were WAY off. This was because the angles on opposite sides was different.

Did any of this make sense?

Hope you get it figured out.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Another possibility for bevels that are not the same width is that the edge is not in the center of the blade.
    I find this to be the most frequent reason for my edges being asymmetric.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Another possibility for bevels that are not the same width is that the edge is not in the center of the blade. Picture a wood chisel. The edge apex is 100% on one side of the blade. If you can determine the angle on the beveled side in reference to and imaginary line through the chisel blade that would be the same imaginary line from the CENTERof the spine through the middle of the blade to the center of the edge on your knife. If the angles on both sides are the same in reference to the line through the center of the blade and the edge apex is not at the 50% spot in reference to the center of the spine the bevels will be uneven. Look at the blade edge from the heel to the tip. See if it looks like the edge apex, the part that is sharp, is in the center of the blade. Again, a chisel is the perfect example of what I'm thinking of. If this is the case you just need to remove more steel from the side that is narrower. As you do this the edge will "move" toward the center of the blade and the bevels will be the same width when the edge is in the middle of the blade. That is if the angle on each side is the same.

I've never used a WE but I did have a DMT aligner and I remember a similar situation because the clamp did not hold the blade at a 90 angle with the rods that the stone holders would slide through. As I read your post that is what I was thinking the issue may be. The blade wasn't being clamped properly. The plastic aligner clamp would hold different spine shapes in different positions and angles. The edges could whittle the whittles on a hair (almost ). But the bevels on my Endura were WAY off. This was because the angles on opposite sides was different.

Did any of this make sense?

Hope you get it figured out.

Jack
    Yes, it makes sense. I had heard of this, but wanted to make sure my other variables were locked down before doing anything with this. Thank you for outlining it though
    program?

-Letterman

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have roughly illustrated what I was trying to describe, its the only problem I have had with the wicked edge system, I don't use an angle cube because I have my vice mounted to a chopping board and sharpen on my lap. All you need to do is make sure the arms are at an equal distance from the dead centre of the blade, you can do this with a ruler etc.. grind the bevels until they are even, apex the edge, then remove the burr.