Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manix 2 LW Salt?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar

Manix 2 LW Salt?

Looking at the new lightweight S110V FRN Manix, I imagine it should be relatively easy for Spyderco to adapt it into a "Salt" model ?

I mean, swap out the pins, ball bearing, spring and clip with some H1/rust proof versions, and slap on a fully serrated hollow ground H1 blade. Voila!
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing...they could possibly use the ceramic ball bearing for this one. I am still waiting for mine to check it out in person, but I think this could be a winner in H1.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    I would love an h1 manix 2 LW
    My 's
    Pm2(1), manix2 LW, salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10(3), manbug, ladybug, sage 3(2), citadel 83mm, embassy, domino

Kyle

Yeah, the ceramic ball bearing would be super cool in a salt
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Interesting I'm curious about the spring though. Do you think that could make those from h1 in a cost effective manner? I know very little about "spring making"

The manix would not be at the top of my list for blade shapes on a fishing model, but as a general "salt" knife I'm sure they would sell very well and I would certainly have to have one. Hehe

Of course there's still that annoying problem of the salts only being made in one of the Japanese factories. So for now it's either one of the moles made there or a completely new model designed to be made there. I am very interested to hear some reports on how the lc200n is holding up on the tusk. If that turned out to be as impervious to rust as h1 it could open up a lot of new production possibilities!
    Last edited by Surfingringo; 04-16-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1965ford's Avatar
    That would be cool.... but I still have not yet gotten my first Manix. So many knives, so little money
    Endera4 Tenacious Sage3 Military Calypso Native5 Paramilitary2 Tenacious PacificSalt Salt1 DragonflySE LadybugHawkbillSaltSE Delica Domino SmallPersian2

Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post

The manix would not be at the top of my list for blade shapes on a fishing model, but as a general "salt" knife I'm sure they would sell very well and I would certainly have to have one. Hehe

Of course there's still that annoying problem of the salts only being made in one of the Japanese factories. So for now it's either one of the moles made there or a completely new model designed to be made there. I am very interested to hear some reports on how the lc200n is holding up on the tusk. If that turned out to be as impervious to rust as h1 it could open up a lot of new production possibilities!
    Yes I agree about the blade shape and Japan...

It just seems like design-wise they have gone 70% already towards making this a salt, and they could make it a reality with very little additional effort. It would be silly not to make the leap...

But you are right, it will be a more like a general purpose knife, rather than a fishing knife.
    Hans

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    There is one H-1 model planned for manufacture in Golden, so those two things are not mutually exclusive. OTOH, cost may make it an unrealistic choice for the Manix Lightweight. There's also the possibility of using LC 200 N, the steel used in the Tusk, which sounds like it's at least fairly close to H-1 in terms of rust resistance. Only question there, assuming serrations are desired, would be how well it worked wit them. Hardware is less of an issue. There are lots of highly rust resistant steels which, while poor choices as blade steel, work quite well for screws, springs, and other hardware bits.

Zero interest myself, the Manix 2 doesn't work all that well for me and serrations are not something I want or need.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Its not as good as H1 but I thought S110V was a rust resistant steel? I've used the S110V Mule in some fairly corrosive environments and had no problems with it so far..

I agree, according to the datasheet, S110v is even more corrosion resistant than S90v. I'm more worried about the spring, pins and other hardware, especially because you cannot take it apart to clean.
    Hans

All current spyderco knives taken into account (albeit my rather new fandom) the manix knives don't do it for me and they should! Maybe it's that they don't carry tip down so I've wrote them off.
    Own: C81GPBN2, C11FPGY
    Wanted: C01GPGR, C180GP

Quote Originally Posted by 1965ford View Post
    That would be cool.... but I still have not yet gotten my first Manix. So many knives, so little money
    You definitely need to get one.

With the s110v Manix here, I'm not sure I'll ever need another knife. But I'd probably go for a serrated Manix Salt. A serrated hawkbill salt with the CBBL would be awesome, too.

I we ould buy one in a heart beat!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    If they are gonna do it, they are gonna do it right. Meaning they will most likely use H1 on all the metal parts and may run through problems with the spring, or washer. Since its a USA made knife, I think it is unlikely but if there is enough interest...
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Manix2 Lightweight in H1 or LC 200 N? I'm on board. With Spyderedge? I'm still on board, just not as enthusiastically. With Spyderedge and yellow FRN? Back to my original enthusiasm...
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    If they are gonna do it, they are gonna do it right. Meaning they will most likely use H1 on all the metal parts and may run through problems with the spring, or washer. Since its a USA made knife, I think it is unlikely but if there is enough interest...
    Why? AFAIK, the only parts on the Salt knives that are H-1 are the blades and lockbars. The entire handle on the Mariner Salt was something other than H-1. There are a number of highly corrosion resistant stainless steels out there that are less expensive than H-1, it's just one of a rare few that can hold an edge worth a damn.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    There is one H-1 model planned for manufacture in Golden.
    Really? I didn't know anything about that. Any information on that? Existing model with h1 or new model?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I think he's talking about the Autonomy.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Ahh...

Thought there was a secret I wasn't in on! Hopefully there is a secret that NONE of us are in on. There usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think he's talking about the Autonomy.
    Bingo!
    Paul