Thread: I'm new here - First question: Are Ambitious' left-handed friendly?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

I'm new here - First question: Are Ambitious' left-handed friendly?

Hi guys,

Recently bought a Delica (for camping) and fell in love. Just couldn't put the thing down! Every time I come across a task which requires a blade now I immediately kick myself for not having the Delica on hand. Being the Delica is a bit too large for everyday carry in Sydney, I subsequently purchased (en-route in mail) a Dragonfly VG10 (for work - rope access) and also an Ambitious which I planned to use for a casual EDC as well as 2x Dragonfly Salt's as gifts )One for my father and the other for my friend who are both into boating).

However, looking at photos of the Ambitious handle / liner-lock and various videos on Youtube, I have noticed that the Spyderco hole is somewhat obstructed where the left thumb would open the knife.

So, any Ambitious owners out there mind doing a bit of left-handed testing for me?

Opening the blade using the left thumb
    Opening the blade using the left middle finger (if thumb deployment is an issue, would middle finger deployment be viable for primary method?)
    Easiest method of closing the blade left handed

Thanks guys!

Hello and welcome,
    I suspect it will be the closing aspect of left hand use more than the opening that may become a issue.
    Cheers...

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    One word for you:

Chaparral

Smaller and more sheeple friendly than a Delica, carries way more unobtrusively than a Delica (Both in deepness of carry and ease of reaching past it for something deeper in pocket), and being a backlock with both sides as an option for the pocket clip you really can't go wrong. More expensive than an Ambitious, though not drastically so, and will carry a lot nicer and outperform the value series.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench, SE SuperHawk
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench, Black ZDP Caly Jr.
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Hi JBudz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    I'm left handed and I have a Tenacious. It's really easy to open with the left thumb. Even though the right side is more open, the left side really isn't obstructed.

To close - I use my left thumb on the lock. I use my left index finger to start the closing motion until I can move my thumb to the hole. I then use my thumb in the hole to close the knife.

With very little time, the movement becomes second nature.

Fantastic Aquaman! How about middle finger opening?

Thanks for the welcome gents!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Welcome from a fellow southpaw. There are a few of us here

I'd recommend the Chaparral as it's on my list as well!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    While I'm a firm believer that left handed people should support left handed and hand neutral knives, the Ambitious shouldn't be any more difficult to open left handed than the Native is to open with either hand. Closing, as noted is going to be about the same as closing any other right handed Walker lock knife that's set up for ease of access to the lockbar. Still, I'd be more inclined to go with a Dragonfly or a Chaparral, or, if money was an issue, a Byrd Robin.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBudz View Post
    Fantastic Aquaman! How about middle finger opening?

Thanks for the welcome gents!
    The middle finger is also clear to open the knife.

If you look at hand neutral knives, like back locks, you'll see the left side of liner locks isn't more restricted.

You may be happier with a hand neutral knife, as stated above.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Not sure what your blade length restriction is, but you may want to check out the Kahr Arms delica. It has the same Delica 4 handle you like but the blade is re-ground to a wharncliffe profile which does result in a shorter 2.5" blade. I believe this was designed by Michael Janich, I have been wanting one for a while...not sure why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    Name:  Kahr Delica.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  14.3 KB

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! Id also recommend the chaparral for future purchases
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Manix 2 LW, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer