Thread: Delica 4 lockup after 3 years

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar

Thumbs up Delica 4 lockup after 3 years

Just wanted to share this. It's one of my dad's Delica 4's that I took to sharpen for him. He currently switches between a FFG D4, a Saber ground D4 (pictured) and a Benchmade 943.

I took the Delica apart to clean it, oil it, and then put it back together to sharpen it. I just felt like sharing the lockup after 3 years. Great lock and a great knife.

- - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanx David.

sal

I appreciate it Sal! It always means something coming from you.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Oh great. You have a 3-year old Delica that's been used and has a solid lockup and I can't buy a damn new Caly 3.5 that locks-up solidly. Go figure.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Not one of my Spyderco lockbacks has significant play, and most are absolutely rock solid. Holland can vouch for that, as he's seen all of them. I seem to be really lucky at getting solid lockbacks.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    My Caly 3 locks up so tight it feels like a fixed blade. My Delica trainer has seen serious use every day for weeks now and have had no issues whatsoever.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

There's a tiny amount of vertical play but it had that since it was new. It hasn't changed much at all. If anything it's gotten better due to how the lock is cut.
    - - - -

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pete1977's Avatar
    my Byrd Rescue has zero vertical or horizontal play after 2 plus years of abuse. The only issue I had with the lock was the Boye dent is too shallow and using the knife with fishing gloves on disengaged the lock at first. It hasn't happened once I figured out the cause. For Spyderco's bargain brand the difference in fit and finish is barely noticeable. I've never had a problem with a Spyderco lockback.

Spyderco Forum Registered User T-1000's Avatar
    My beloved endura 4 ffg has a tiny bit of up play. I can only feel it when I am cutting with end of the blade, or if I grab it tight and pull up on the blade. The whole lock moves when it happens, and I don't really consider it "vertical play" because it doesn't wiggle up and down like its loose. Kind of annoying but I don't think it affects the performance of the lock. I have heard of this type of thing happening with enduras, and back locks in general.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Nice picture. Looks like the lock is breaking in nicely!
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris