Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange kind of buyer's remorse

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Strange kind of buyer's remorse

Wondering if I'm the only one who feels this...when I buy a new knife that I really like, I'm a little upset because there's always a previous knife that I was obsessed over, and I hate having to choose. Yeah I know, "first world problems" right? I've got this S110V Manix 2 coming and I'm super excited about it, but I'm also extremely attached to my Southard, and then I'm still looking forward to the S90V Yojimbo 2, so later this year I'm going to have 3 excellent choices fighting for pocket time, three different steels, three different locks, all have very different ergonomics but all way up there on my favorites list. I really am a one knife kind of guy, I like to carry one specific thing and be able to use it like second nature. Fortunately I guess I have enough experience with all 3 that switching back and forth shouldn't be too confusing.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User angusW's Avatar
    I've bought two or three different knives at the same time and it's difficult to choose between them. Strange but I like getting one knife at a time and spending some quality time with it. When I get more than one I start thinking too much about which one do I use. One is just easier for me.
    Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies

Yeah I never have and never will buy more than one model at a time for that same reason. I already do that with music, buy two albums at once and gravitate to the one I like the most and never listen to the other. I'm the type that has to really explore something and really get to know it and my tastes seem to be constantly changing. A year or two ago when I got my 20CP Para 2, I thought that would be the end of my knife buying, and I rarely carry it anymore and honestly have kinda lost interest in the Para 2, which is a total shock to me because it dominated my knife rotation just a couple years ago. I blame that on the Yojimbo 2 and Southard. As much as I like the Manix 2, I can see this new one really taking over things unless for some reason I don't like the FRN handle, which is possible because I do vastly prefer G10.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    When I have that problem I just make sure I have enough pockets when I get dressed.

Albums Evil? Are you giving your age away?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Maybe that's just an old, habitual belief about yourself that could use some revision? Maybe it's time to embrace a little more variety?

I know I have way more knives than I could ever devote myself to completely. But the knives are patient. They'll still be there, waiting for just the right day, when they find their way into a pocket. My Chokwe is in my pocket today, after many months of waiting. The Chokwe wasn't any less appreciated during this hiatus, and its rediscovery and use today only strengthens its appreciation and place in the collection. Many others wait patiently too. Which will be carried next on an inspired whim? Maybe the Shabaria, with its ethnic mystique and fiery blade? Maybe the Khukuri, with its exotic curves? Or the simple Delica, whose humble form never fails to impress. They're all special, and there's no remorse for not using them. This only makes using them more special.

And yeah, more pockets might help too!
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I'll spend x amount on a new Spydie and I know it's justified because it'll make the perfect EDC and get tons of use. It does for a while and then comes along another new must have blade. I look back at the one not being used now and think what a waste. I guess I try to be a minimalist in this way but Spyderco just produces too many awesome blades. I look at my PM2 and my Chaparral and think these are the only 2 I really need. But what's the fun in just 2? Lol. Then the madness starts all over again.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    I have been rotating the Sage4 and GB with other smaller knives. Now the Stretch SB has SHOVED both of them out of a pocket. I don't think I'll ever carry the Sage4 or GB again. Well, not until the "new" wears off the stretch. My Sage and GB know this and wait paintly for their turn again. Is it just me, but I've noticed girls don't do that.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I can completely relate. I try not to even own more than five or six at a time. I feel like I just don't have enough love to spread around. That sounds ridiculous but it's kind of how I feel. So when one isn't in the top half dozen I feel better if I just sell it off rather than stick it in a drawer. And yeah, I can relate to worrying about a new one making old favorites obsolete before I've even gotten the new one. But I'm slightly insane so I don't know if my understanding should make you feel any better.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    When I have that problem I just make sure I have enough pockets when I get dressed.

Albums Evil? Are you giving your age away?

Jack
    Eh, I grew up with vinyl but that was only because my mother was a collector. I download most of my albums these days but still call them that.

And I will say I love going back to rediscover knives I haven't carried in a while. It's like getting them all over again.

~David

I'm starting to question how many knives I need.

An interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up. I feel similarly to you, although I wouldn't call it buyers remorse exactly. All my knives are users, I get pleasure carrying them and using them, and don't like to see them sit there and collect dust. But I also enjoy switching it up from time to time, and I don't care that my wife rolls her eyes standing at the door waiting for me to select the one that suits me.

I don't think the buyers remorse you're feeling is the unhealthy kind. The unhealthy kind is where you always "need" to have a new knife on the way, and once you get it you just brush it aside to look for another to buy, still unfulfilled. (I think this drives most of the buying/selling on certain forums, but that's another topic).

You're suffering from the opposite problem, actually. You don't regret buying that knife, you regret not using those other awesome knives you have, or using them less. You're too fulfilled! Just a product of being good at knowing which knives you'll like to own if you ask me. I think Gbelleh hit the nail on the head. Knives don't take any maintenance and will be there when your whims dictate they be carried. You don't NEED more than one t-shirt, but isn't it nice to be able to pick one that suits your mood? To me my knives are like that, they suit a certain mood, and it's OK that not many other people understand why one is different from another.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I just buy pants with more pockets when this feeling comes over me. Seriously though, I am suffering a similar anxiety right now because I am enjoying CPM-3V and CTS-204P right now. Too many super steels and not enough materials to cut.....first world problems for sure.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    My EDC rotation is setup for specific tasks for each knife. Trying to decide if I really "need" a cruwear milie in the rotation...
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    Wear knife "A" when you go to work. When you get home switch to knife "B" and then on the weekends try knife "C". Give it a shot
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    ...But I'm slightly insane so I don't know if my understanding should make you feel any better.
    Hahaha! That's good.

In the same boat here. I tend to latch on to one design and that one design stays in my pocket no matter what. I guess the only difference for me is that I enjoy buying the other models simply because they tickle my fancy.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    Wear knife "A" when you go to work. When you get home switch to knife "B" and then on the weekends try knife "C". Give it a shot
    Boy does that sound familiar...only with me it's knife "A" and knife "B" when I go to work; when I get home its knives "C", "D", "E"....etc, etc...!
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Yes, it can get confusing sometimes but with time you will see. I have over 30 spydercos and I carry all of them, some more than others. Some I use for beaters like the tenacious it just the go to knife for ugly dirty chores. If its going to rain or I am around water it will have to be an H1 knife. For work the manbug SE is getting a lot of time, I am surprised how much I liked that little knife. On the weekend or going out to dinner the Enduras come out, the Paras, manix, Delicas. Dragonfly, pingo, Centofante3, Ladybugs only see time when I go to a wedding or a formal affair or when I go and smoke a cigar at a lounge. For me its like choosing a dress shirt, shoes or boots, watch, etc. I was a one knife man before but now I enjoy them all.
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    I follow the school of Tony. It works quite well.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    For some reason, 90% of the time I grab my SB Endura. I don't know why, either. I prefer the Stretch over it, and I have both a SB and ZDP Stretch, but I always grab it. I also have a ZDP Endura. I want to grab an M4 Manix, or a 204p Para, but then I see my trusty SB Endura and in the pocket it goes. Maybe its because my second real knife was a gray FFG Endura. I never particularly liked it, but over time it has really grown on me I guess.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

There were times that I wore 3-5 knives regularly. I never got tired of carrying lots of knives, but I did get tired of buying them (says the guy who just picked up a South Fork this week).