Thread: Obtaining the Manix 2 in translucent blue with *Torx pivot* ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Obtaining the Manix 2 in translucent blue with *Torx pivot* ?

If I order this knife from Amazon will I receive the model with Torx pivot? How can I ensure this? And what exactly is a Torx pivot? Thanks, I'm a novice...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I would call first and ask. A torx pivot is an adjustable pivot that requires a Torx screwdriver to adjust. The pinned version is not adjustable
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    From Amazon, there's no way to be sure. If you feel that getting one with a Torx pivot, despite not knowing what it is, then a regular online knife dealer that you can phone and confirm the pivot type would be your best bet. As for what a Torx pivot is, it simply means pivot that can be loosened or tightened using a Torx driver (or unscrew by itself and fall out), rather than the maintenance free riveted pivot used on the first Manix 2 Lightweights.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User timlara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    If you feel that getting one with a Torx pivot, despite not knowing what it is, then a regular online knife dealer that you can phone and confirm the pivot type would be your best bet.
    Agreed. You could also order from the Spyderco Factory Outlet store as I was in there last week and saw that they had the newer Torx pivot translucent models in the display case. You'll pay a lot more than the usual online dealers, though, as Spyderco sells at or near MSRP so as not to undercut their distributors.

I own both the pinned and Torx versions and in my opinion it is certainly not worth paying full retail just for that tweak. It's nice to have, but not that big of a difference.

p.s. - Welcome to the forum!

I think cutleryshoppe has the Torx pivot version specifically labeled as such, their prices are usually quite good, too.

I'd say most likely it will be, they switched over to a torx pivot early on. Actually, I bought a LW Blue one from Amazon about a year ago and it was a torx pivot.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I would call first and ask.
    Yep, the only way that doesn't involve a coin toss and a lucky rabbit's foot.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I bought a blue and black from CS last March when they labeled both as "Torx pivot," the blue had a pinned pivot and black had Torx. I've used both and don't have a preference. The good thing about a pinned pivot is you don't need loctite
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

I'm one of the people who, given the choice, would take a pinned pivot. Even if in 3 years of use you develop a little play, you know the pivot is never going to loosen itself entirely, or need to be readjusted every few months.

The only pinned knife I have is a cento 3 and the thing has crazy play. Otherwise, I like the knife. Would never buy a pinned knife again though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    The only pinned knife I have is a cento 3 and the thing has crazy play. Otherwise, I like the knife. Would never buy a pinned knife again though.
    Sounds like one bad apple spoiled your bunch. You should probably give it another try, you're missing out on some sweet knives like the Caly Jr.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    Sounds like one bad apple spoiled your bunch. You should probably give it another try, you're missing out on some sweet knives like the Caly Jr.
    Yep, I've never had one with play that a screwed-pivot would fix. More likely than not is a pinned pivot that is a bit too tight making one-handed openings a bit tougher.
    Blake