Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which knife should I purchase for my first Spyderco, please?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Which knife should I purchase for my first Spyderco, please?

I think that it would be between the Manix 2 and the Manix 2 Translucent. I like them both, but I guess that I should buy the Manx 2 in black for the first purchase. This is the first knife that I have bought in years (7). I currently own two smaller knives: Benchmade and Kershaw. Thanks in advance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! the Manix 2 is a great knife. I would also recommend looking at the Chaparral 2 and the sage series. The Taiwan models have incredible f&f and still blow me away every time get a new one
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Grab the new s110v midnight blue frn model for a light but very high performance manix.
    Or you could buy the one knife to rule them all...caly 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by dgebler View Post
    Grab the new s110v midnight blue frn model for a light but very high performance manix.
    Or you could buy the one knife to rule them all...caly 3.5.
    Please stop suggesting cool knives unless you are going to help me buy them! The Caly looks like a nice knife too. This is going to be a tough decision to make.

How is the knife scene in Norfolk? I'm originally from Tidewater...

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Hey HorseloverFat, the knife scene here is okay I guess...there are not really any good brick and mortar stores (with reasonable prices that is) but we do get pretty regular gun shows at the Hampton Coliseum (SGK for example) that bring some decent dealers this way and give me a chance to handle some nice knives. I have made some good finds there but usually rely on the trusted internet dealers to buy my knives. This is one of the reasons I frequent the forums, to get the advice and opinions of a trusted group of afi's that share similar interests in quality cutlery. Of course there is nothing like handling a knife for yourself...I have been surprised in a good way and a bad way with internet purchases on reviews and/or advice from others.

Take for example the Caly 3.5 I suggested. When I first bought mine I hated it, thought it was boring and I wanted more of a tank/overbuilt knife (and mine started out kinda gritty) but after collecting for a couple years (and the fact that I wear dress slacks to work) I have come to greatly appreciate the slim build and refined blade shape that will slice anything. This knife underwhelms some to begin with, but has a die-hard following of folks like myself who think it is one of the most refined and classic spyderco knifes available (I heard Sal designed if to his own tastes). Anyway, welcome to the forum, you will find a lot more knowledge her than I have and a friendly group as well.

Sage 1

Manix 2 G10. Better steel, stronger platform, now available in full flat grind.

Don't sleep on the Para 2.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Horselover!

Welcome to the Forums.

If you like Manix 2 I'd recommend the Black G10, the 154CM is an awesome steel.

But if you really wanna go pro with your first Spydie just get a Para2. It plays in a different league.
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    S110V Manix Lightweight. Although, for your first Spydie it will kind of ruin every other steel choice Spyderco uses for you
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

If you are looking at the manix it is kind of hard not to recommend the new s110v frn model.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfingringo View Post
    If you are looking at the manix it is kind of hard not to recommend the new s110v frn model.
    I am in this boat as well. The knife is along the lines of what you already wanted, but the steel is superior to either version you showed interest in. It is really the best of all worlds Spyderco.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

I don't see the S110V FRN model on Amazon or the Spyderco website. When will it be available? Thanks...

Caly 3.5

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum and I'd have to say get a caly I just love mine. (I have my super blue caly 3 as I'm writing this).
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Welcome, my first Spyderco was a Manix 2 LW...I do love the knife however, I would take the advice offered you by several other members of this forum and get the new 110v. you simply cannot go wrong with that choice.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The Manix2 G10 is an extremely impressive tool. I prefer the FRN/FRCP knives now but they don't have that same immediate appeal.

My bro and I have gifted our normal Manix2's to friends for birthdays. Both were blown away and carry them daily. A bit bulky, heavy, and very sharp .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgebler View Post
    +1
    With all my love to Native5 and Caly3.5 you have to grab this sprint or you will regret a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HorserloverFat View Post
    I don't see the S110V FRN model on Amazon or the Spyderco website. When will it be available? Thanks...
    Will be available on 16th. Amazon will not help. Contact authorized dealer. NGK, KW, GPK, KC, KnivesPlus are good choices.
    After that get NAtive5 and Caly3.5
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Endura4 with the Emerson Wave feature

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    I would suggest starting with a Delica4 FFG(medium size) or an Endura4 saber grind(large size), but you can also get the manix2 light weight on blue or black(large size) great knives. Or Jump on the Manix2 Light weight S110V with dark blue FRN available 4/16
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    I would buy the black lightweight manix. I own alot of different knives and that is currently number 2 in my favorite edc catagory. Its an awsome edc knife super light, strong lock up and cuts great.
    My 's
    Pm2(1), manix2 LW, salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10(3), manbug, ladybug, sage 3(2), citadel 83mm, embassy, domino

Kyle