Thread: How to you sharpen an American Tanto Secondary Tip

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brian205's Avatar

How to you sharpen an American Tanto Secondary Tip

How do you sharpen an American Tanto's Secondary Tip

I want to Preserve my American Tanto Secondary Tip, dont want to Round it off.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Sharpen both edges like you sharpen wharncliffes.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    I use a DMT Aligner. Or you can use a SharpMaker but push the blade instead of pull it toward you. Start at the tip and push the blade across the stone.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    That's why I don't fool with Tanto points or serrated edges, recurves, hawkbills

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    That's why I don't fool with Tanto points or serrated edges, recurves, hawkbills
    That really limits you doesn't it.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Sharpen both edges like you sharpen wharncliffes.
    Agreed. Thats how i used to sharpen my tanto umnumzaan
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User kwakster's Avatar
    If the edges are not too wide i just use my Paper Wheels.
    Did these chisel ground edges a while back with a Paper Wheel coated with 15 micron diamond compound, as they both were quite blunt.
    The knives are owned by two Dutch Special Forces guys who used & sharpened them while on tour in Afghanistan, and they wanted the new edges to have a little bling-bling.

If the edges get a bit wider, especially the slanted edge, then i tend to use my Tormek, like on this Strider GB.
    The factory edge had a wide angle and was also quite irregular, so there was room for some improvement.
    As you can see i didn't refine the scratch pattern on purpose (as i think it looks good on a knife like this), only removed the burr on the Tormek leather honing wheel, followed by some stropping on a leather handstrop coated with 6 micron diamond paste to create a slightly convex microbevel.
    The straight part of the edge now measures around 25 degrees inclusive while the slanted part is about 30 degrees inclusive.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kwakster's Avatar
    Or i use a combination of Tormek & Wicked Edge, like on this Strider DB-L some time ago.
    This is a limited edition of the DB model in CPM-3V steel and made from thinner stock than the usual S30V versions.

Originally it looked like this:

The straight edge was reprofiled on the Wicked Edge sharpener to 30 degrees inclusive & polished up to 6 micron 3M diamond paste, while the slanted edge was done on the Tormek T7 to 45 degrees inclusive & polished up to 15 micron 3M diamond paste.
    Both edges will treetop armhair, while the straight edge will also whittle hair in some places.
    Now this DB can and will cut, and it still can be used as a sharpened prybar in an emergency.

Some close-ups:

Difference between 15 micron and 6 micron;

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    wow those look great!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwakster View Post
    Difference between 15 micron and 6 micron;

This is a great image.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    That really limits you doesn't it.
    No, not at all. That just directs me to the more practical blades like
    Clip points and drop points and by finding more things you don't like you can trim you collection to fit your budget.