Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Spyderco/Kahr Arms Delica4

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3Speedyfish3's Avatar

New Spyderco/Kahr Arms Delica4

image.jpg

Does anyone else see a resemblance between the new Kahr Arms Delica4 and Michael Janich's custom reverse Wharncliffe Endura?

image.jpg

Looks like a May delivery date, according to Kahr's website.

Spyderco Forum Registered User sharpguitarist's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hey speedy,
    Did ya have to go and post the pic of this new offering?
    Now I'll have to have one of those to pair up with my K40.
    Looks pretty cool to me!
    Later,
    Don
    everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.

I know, Don. My PM9 is whining that it wants a new playmate!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yeah it looks like a miniaturized clone. The Ammoland article says it was designed by him, so it's not surprising.

That price, though ^_^

edit: Just noticed the description says it's stonewashed. Has there been a stonewashed knife out of Seki City before this one?
    Last edited by phaust; 01-05-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    So is this something they grinded themselves? Or is it a collaboration with Spyderco?
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    A Worchester, MA legal Delica, I guess?

I carry a PM9 just about every day, so I guess it'll have a new companion...
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

It's a collaboration between Spyderco and Kahr Arms, with Michael Janich's influence on the design.

sal

Thank you, Mr. Glesser!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    That's pretty nice! I had been secretly wishing for a Spyderco/Kahr collab ever since I saw the Buck/Kahr collab. This would go very nicely with my Kahr .9mm.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I must get one of these to pair with my CW45. Sal, did they approach you or Micheal about the colab? Thanks to Spyderco and Kahr!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

That is an interesting looking knife. Aside from the warncliffe-ish spine, the blade shape reminds me of the current Manix 2.

Will these be stocked by the usual Spyderco dealers? Where can I get one, and how much?

Administrator
    Thank you all for your interest in the Kahr Delica4. Kahr's Northeast Division Sales Manager, Marc Galli, is a long-time friend of mine and devoted student of Martial Blade Concepts. He and Kahr have generously sponsored my annual Martial Blade Camp event for several years and I have great respect for the Kahr company and its people. A while back, Marc and I discussed Kahr's position in the industry as the leader in ultra-compact semiauto pistols and he asked me which Spyderco knife would be an analogous product. I showed him one of the custom Delica4s I had ground for another veteran MBC student who works in a federal building in Washington, D.C. Per federal guidelines, he was only allowed a 2.5-inch blade. Unfortunately, most 2.5-inch blades have comparably sized handles, making them short and hard to use for defensive purposes. Since the Delica4 is one of my favorite knives and has a matching trainer, it was the logical choice for a "snubby" version.

I had also been grinding bobbed Delica4s for other students who lived in Chicago and Boston. Since Kahr's production facilities are in Worcester, MA, the idea of a Boston-legal knife made sense to Marc and the other folks at Kahr. He drove the project and received outstanding input from Kahr's founder Justin Moon, who specifically requested "urban camouflage" handle colors that would blend with black, khaki, and denim pants. The stonewashed finish completes the "gray man" concept and will make these knives exceptionally discreet.

From a personal standpoint, I'm thrilled to have played a part in bringing two great companies together on this project and I'm honored that Marc and Kahr saw value in this unique expression of the Delica4.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Thanks for the backstory Mike! VERY Interesting! Without this, I would have wondered and others would have speculated the matter to death, and maybe not been close to this interesting story.

David in NC (Forum Newbie!)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSB View Post
    Will these be stocked by the usual Spyderco dealers? Where can I get one, and how much?
    Kahr has them on their site for $99. For pre-order. It says they should be available in May.
    Last edited by gbelleh; 01-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Mr. Janich, can you comment on how these were modified? Are they each personally hand ground and lapped just like the SSM Enduras?

Michael, can you share with us the reasoning behind the blade shape? Thanks.

So do these come from the Spyderco factory this way, or are they reground by someone else?

Hi Able Dog and David from NC,

Welcme to our forum.

They are built as production pieces in the Seki plant. We'll ship them to Kahr. Kahr will distribute them.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    They are built as production pieces in the Seki plant. We'll ship them to Kahr. Kahr will distribute them.
    Then I'll buy one.

Thanks!