Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idea to increase power for your car (maybe ?)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    Huh. Very interesting. So if I get my hands on some nitro and find the proper ratio, I could ass it right to my tank. Maybe one day ill try
    Just like you have to make special provisions to run E85 (different fuel lines, seals, etc) I'm sure you'd have to have nitro-resistant components.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    Then you would be a rolling bomb.
    Yeah, I don't really know anything about this but it sure sounds like a Darwin Award waiting to happen, to me.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
    Yeah, I don't really know anything about this but it sure sounds like a Darwin Award waiting to happen, to me.

Ken
    Early flamethrowers, before they started using gelling agents and well-tested flame guards, were basically pressurized air + gasoline or similar. They worked okay until the tank heated up too much or the safeties at the tip failed, then they turned into fireballs, killing most anyone too close by.
    Last edited by defenestrate; 04-16-2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post

More practical, for gunpowder, a turbine, perhaps? The explosive power of gunpowder is really best used to do a lot of work very quickly, as in firearms and more recently, nail guns. That power has to go somewhere and it would take a complicated apparatus to store all that energy effectively, not to mention the wear on parts, which could be engineered for but not likely hold up long in constant use. I think the idea is interesting in a steampunk kinda way, but not very pragmatic.
    Your comments reminded me of this video.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Maybe a giant Estes rocket motor array???

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Interesting video remnar, thanks for sharing.

Two things about the video, if they get a crack in that fuel pellet the increase in burn rate might cause it to explode and if their pressure relief plug pusshed all the way out the power would not go out. Black powder has it's own supply of oxygen.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    Interesting video remnar, thanks for sharing.

Two things about the video, if they get a crack in that fuel pellet the increase in burn rate might cause it to explode and if their pressure relief plug pusshed all the way out the power would not go out. Black powder has it's own supply of oxygen.
    Rapidly increased surface area will definitely do that
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    That's a pretty cool way to handle it. Of course, a self-feeding gunpowder-based fuse would probably work better and more safely, so long as you have some kind of self-extinguish mechanism. Making a rig large enough to drive a car would be a very interesting project. Have read about some Soviet DIY wood double burner heat engines running cars, but I don't have plans avaipable.

Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    Rapidly increased surface area will definitely do that
    Yes indeed. Growing up in California we could not buy firecrackers for the Fourth of July, my favorite holiday. They did sell sparklers, a huge fire hazard, fountains etc and a thing called a Piccolo Peat that used escaping gas to make a really loud scream or whistling sound. The propellent was a cast into the tube. With a pair of vice grips it could be modified to increase the burn rate and exceeded the strength of the tube.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    Yes indeed. Growing up in California we could not buy firecrackers for the Fourth of July, my favorite holiday. They did sell sparklers, a huge fire hazard, fountains etc and a thing called a Piccolo Peat that used escaping gas to make a really loud scream or whistling sound. The propellent was a cast into the tube. With a pair of vice grips it could be modified to increase the burn rate and exceeded the strength of the tube.
    Ahh yes, the exploding pete. The modern piccolo petes are much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by remnar View Post
    Ahh yes, the exploding pete. The modern piccolo petes are much safer.
    They always manage to outlaw fun, spoilsports! Just another reason I like living in South Carolina, fireworks are sold all year long, even mortar shells.