Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My free hand sharpening technique

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Jack, it almost appears to be on your lens. The right side (your hand) is not blurry at all, but from the right edge of the stone all the way to the left, it does appear blurred.
    Should I wipe the lens off with a damp or dry cloth? Take it outside and squirt it with the hose?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Should I wipe the lens off with a damp or dry cloth? Take it outside and squirt it with the hose?

Jack
    I use a soft (clean) microfiber cloth or a lens brush.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Jack,

Thank you for sharing. Let me chime in on large round belly issue. I my engineering mind, the edge meets the stone at an angle determined by tilting up the spine, formibg a single line intersection (right where the belly starts after the straight edge). To maintain consistency, the sharpene (us) need to keep this line:
    1. Perpendicular to the belly's tangent
    2. At constant tilted angle
    when moving along the belly.

On a gentle curve blade, raising the handle will work well. On a steeper belly (such as opinel or lionspy), I usually rotate the blade so that the belly cutting edge is always at 90* similar to the straight portion of the edge.

Hope this helps.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anagarika View Post
    Jack,

Thank you for sharing. Let me chime in on large round belly issue. I my engineering mind, the edge meets the stone at an angle determined by tilting up the spine, formibg a single line intersection (right where the belly starts after the straight edge). To maintain consistency, the sharpene (us) need to keep this line:
    1. Perpendicular to the belly's tangent
    2. At constant tilted angle
    when moving along the belly.

On a gentle curve blade, raising the handle will work well. On a steeper belly (such as opinel or lionspy), I usually rotate the blade so that the belly cutting edge is always at 90* similar to the straight portion of the edge.

Hope this helps.
    I am in the progress of learning about this. This is what I've come up with about the tangent angle or line or plane or whatever. Obviously I don't know much about geometry. A tangent was explained to me on the phone regarding sharpening a knife edge. Let me know if this makes sense. When you rotate the blade as you go around the belly the tangent stays in line with the length of the stone. But, when lifting the handle and keeping the blade perpindicular with the stone the tangent moves around the belly as you lift the handle. My understanding (which may be flawed) is the only real difference in the result of keeping the blade perpindicular with the stone and lifting the handle is the scratch pattern stays perpindicular with the blade. When you rotate the blade so the edge/stone contact point is perpindicular with the edge apex, the scratch pattern will be at a 90 degree angle with the edge. There is some who think the scratch pattern changes the cutting performance when leaving a toothy edge. Just like how the teeth on a saw blade are designed to cut only in one direction. Making the scratch pattern in a direction to cut better with a pull slicing motion or a push slicing motion is something I've never concerned myself with yet. I'm still working on getting the basic stroke technique to be more controlled. Plus for now I polish every bevel to a shiny finish with no scratches visible to the naked eye. Also the edge. I likd a smooth edge rather than toothy. So for now I don't worry about scratch pattern direction. In time I may play with leaving the scratches in a given direction to see if there is a difference and how much difference there is. I hope this made sense. One thing about the technique of lifting the handle is you dont' need to understand the geometry at all. If you adjust the angle to what you want on the heel end of the edge and then lift the handle to sharpen the edge around the belly you don't need to worry about tangent's or geometry. Just learn to get all the way to the tip while learning not to lift the hangle too high. The reason I posted the videos was hopefully to help new sharpeners. And get feedback on my sharpening, which you did. Thanks for that.

Hope this made sense.

Jack

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Jack,

I think we both understand each other well.